MidRange to Forehand

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MidRange to Forehand

Postby La Flama Blanca » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:54 pm

So I've tried a Roc, MD2, Pain, Vector and now a Zone. It's just not pretty with any of them. ESP-Zone has been the best so far...

I am pretty sure I have some form issues with my forehand, but I can throw drivers 350' on the reg, and up to probably 380' with the right conditions. I am thinking for MidRange, I am going to want something Overstable. I feel like my release isn't always clean just because of the deeper rim, but I am open to any suggestions???

*Side note: I get jealous watching Mike C flick his mids... Are the rest of you attempting to flick mids as successfully as him, and so effortlessly?
La Flama Blanca
Noob

Favorite Disc: D-P2

Re: MidRange to Forehand

Postby colombo117 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Mike and I flick mids pretty similarly. If you watch him, it is all about the wrist snap and it really does not take a lot of arm movement.

Practice just standing stationary and holding your disc by your side and snapping your wrist (Maybe someone else can describe this better). You want to keep your palm up the whole time, if you turn it over and roll your wrist so the top of your hand is up at the end you are going to hurt your progress. However, rolling your wrist has its moments and sometimes you may need to do this, but for flicking rocs and stable to understable mids straight, you want to keep your palm up and just snap it smoothly.

One of the best things for me was just getting out with my putters and flicking them (challengers for me). I would work on releasing them with the outer wing down (hyzer release for forehand) and try to keep them on that angle, try to flip them flat, and to gently turn them over. All from a hyzer release; with the palm up!

Once you can comfortably flick your putters out on all three major lines (hyzer, straight, anhyzer) I would move up to your roc or md2.

You could also just try it on the midranges first! If I a video camera I would try to get some shots, but Mike has set a high bar! :)
Last edited by colombo117 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby colombo117 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Also, how are you gripping the disc?
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Try the Buzzz. I flick them with good success (read ~200' nails straight).
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby La Flama Blanca » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:47 pm

colombo117 wrote:Also, how are you gripping the disc?

I am using a two finger grip just like I do my drivers. Both fingers straight, one tip on rim, other one kinda stacked... How do you grip this shot?

I want something more stable than a buzz. I want to be able to throw straight, but also put it on a hyzer and get some decent right fade (RHFH).
La Flama Blanca
Noob

Favorite Disc: D-P2

Postby colombo117 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:05 pm

La Flama Blanca wrote:

I am using a two finger grip just like I do my drivers. Both fingers straight, one tip on rim, other one kinda stacked... How do you grip this shot?

I want something more stable than a buzz. I want to be able to throw straight, but also put it on a hyzer and get some decent right fade (RHFH).

I grip them the same way, two fingers, stacked.

The buzz is a great disc that is stable and one that should do what you need. If you want to throw it straight, then you need to get the snap with the palm up. It is as simple as that. Practice throwing your putters with the wing down. If you are rolling your wrist over then your putters will show you.

Its easy for me or anyone to spew advice, but to be beneficial, you may need to get a video up. I will try to get some stuff up in May.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:42 pm

La Flama Blanca wrote:

Try putting the finger print of the middle finger on the rim and stacking with the index finger. Straightening the arm almost completely at the hit from a right side beginning reach back helps. The Zone is the easiest disc to get roughly right with a dirty form and unclean releases out of mids. Whippet, the various Demons and Blaze could work too for mid like distances. But they all are crutches masking dirty form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Flipflat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Wasp
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 pm

I just remembered the Z Hornet. I pretty much only throw that one FH. It is a good FH mid.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Sanny Q-Sent is what I flick for mids. Very beefy.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Definitely a technique issue, a good backhand requires just as much work as a good forehand.

FWIW I love the Comet for forehand approaches.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Spinthrift » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 am

jubuttib wrote:Definitely a technique issue, a good backhand requires just as much work as a good forehand.
FWIW I love the Comet for forehand approaches.

Ditto. I flick short drives and approaches with a Buzzz, Comet, beat-to-snot Bullet XD, beat Pro Rhyno and 4/10 KC Pro Whippet (and a Pig, CE Whippet, etc., when stability is called for). I also flick drives with a seasoned 150g Sidewinder and beat 150 S-PD.

The biggest help for me (drive 340' BH, 290' FH) in refining my forehand was the hammer drill. It is exactly the motion of the critical phase of the FH throw. It taught me tendon bounce and a loose wrist are just as important for FH as backhand (maybe more so). My throw is almost all from elbow to middle finger, popping the wrist. The cleanest forehanders I know are Jeremy Koling and Paul Priest, and I've tried to mimic them with my throw. There's a great video of Jerm playing the Hornet's Nest Charlotte's Web layout where it's easy to see his form.

edit: found the video. Click in at the 23:27 point of this Disc Golf Live episode to see Jerm take on The Web single-handedly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zJAHNABww
Last edited by Spinthrift on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 am

La Flama Blanca wrote:So I've tried a Roc, MD2, Pain, Vector and now a Zone. It's just not pretty with any of them. ESP-Zone has been the best so far...

I am pretty sure I have some form issues with my forehand, but I can throw drivers 350' on the reg, and up to probably 380' with the right conditions. I am thinking for MidRange, I am going to want something Overstable. I feel like my release isn't always clean just because of the deeper rim, but I am open to any suggestions???

*Side note: I get jealous watching Mike C flick his mids... Are the rest of you attempting to flick mids as successfully as him, and so effortlessly?

Forehand Mids are an art form. If you want to REALLY control them you don't want something overstable (except in big winds). An overstable disc controls you because no matter how you start it it will always hyzer sharply when it slows down.

This does not mean an overstable Mid is not useful. Of course it is when you need a hyzer finish. But control means you can make it do what you need it to do, including going dead nuts straight or anhyzering or bending down a tunnel.

The benefit of an overstable Mid is the margin of error is greater, requiring less skill to give you marginal control. The detriment is that it is a blunt and unwieldy tool. Real control is precise. Like a scalpel, not a pick axe.

So to learn the Forehand Mid, start with a straight or even flippy Mid. Throw it softly, gently, clean. Make it go straight, even if it only goes 50 feet. Most players fail with this shot because they overpower it. This shot requires finesse, not power. Once you figure out the touch then you can ramp up power and with it distance.

There may be players who can throw a forehand Mid with full power. I have never met them if they exist. At the point you put too much power into the shot (relative to how smooth and flat and clean your release is) then it flips and burns and does that weird little dirt bag roll.

Don't force the shot, persuade it. Play catch with a buddy trying this and in a few sessions you should be on your way. Mastering it takes a lot of practice for mere mortals.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am

just add to what mark said one of the thigs that help improve my fh mid game was learning to fh a putter.you might want to work on that for a while and then go back to the mid. with that said i have good luck fh a gm i think the little extra speed helps.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby LumberJack » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

Ditto what Mark said. I'd take my collection of mids, putters and leopards out to about 100' and just flick them.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Equipment