XL vs Leopard

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

XL vs Leopard

Postby rjwerkme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am

Im looking for an easy turnover fairway disc. One that will just flip and ride. Ive narrowed it down to a Z-XL or a Star Leopard. I have a pretty good arm. I can easily hit 4oo' even on a bad throw. Basically which of these is better for me for annys, but won't just roll over?
rjwerkme
Noob

Re: XL vs Leopard

Postby BLURR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 am

I would go with the Z-XL. The recent couple that I have thrown were definitely less stable than a Star Leopard of equal weight.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 am

Either one. You may want to consider the Elite X/Pro version of both discs. I used to carry XL's now I carry Leopards. Not necessarily interchangeable/identical but similar to an extent. I just like the Leopard right now. I have a ton of XL's in a box (mostly elite-x and z but some elite-pro thrown in too).
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Ryan C » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am

I can recommend the XL. I used to throw them a lot, and they have a really good ability to make a slow, controllable turn without flipping too much or too quickly. I know there are leopards that will also do this, but most XLs I've had will do it right out of the box, where most of the recent leopards have started too stable to do this right away. Its probably most important that you figure out which one is more comfortable in your hand.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:39 am

Out of interest: I haven't really thrown Star Leos nor Z-XL's, how would the S-FD compare?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:06 pm

I haven't thrown other XLs than FLX so i don't know about the Z XL. Star Leo fades less than S FD and the FD i have flips about two degrees more than the Leo but is longer. Because of speed but i haven't thrown them side by side. And i've only thrown the FD in a place where i don't have measurements so i'm not sure about how much they differ in D.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Wordgie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I've got a Pro-D XL and love it. Once it locks onto a path, it stays there and has very limited fade. Awesome sidearm disc. I'm using my Sidewinder more for FH tee shots because of the extra fade, but the XL is still a great disc.
Wordgie
Noob

Return to Equipment