Next step up from Valk

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Next step up from Valk

Postby harkerj » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 am

Been using Valks (champ, 169-172g) as my primary drivers, and I'm starting to turn them over a little. Looking for the next logical step up from that. I also have an Archon that I throw on wide open holes which ends up behaving similarly to my Valks - a little early turn and a little late fade on a decent throw for me. Range for the Valks is 300-310, the Archon 310-325 when I catch them right (for me).

Should I just buy a new Valk until I can throw them further, or should I look to another disc?
harkerj
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Monarch

Re: Next step up from Valk

Postby mattw » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am

The Valk has the distance potential to go alot farther then 310. I would just get a new Valk. If you would like something a little more stable you could try a Viking they are a nice disc and can take a little more power.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 am

There are some guys on here that can give you the details on the many, various runs of talks...I think the JK valid were supposed to be nice on lower lines and the reg champ ones were a little better for dissonance..yes, there is plenty more dstance capability in a balk although 310 is a great start
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby JR » Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 am

Beast is the longest Valk development. They are modified Valks. Valks should work fine at those distances and if you decide to try a Beast i'd take a low 160s one for general use and perhaps a heavy for headwinds. The Beast ain't a headwind driver at more power but could work with your power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 am

harkerj wrote:
Should I just buy a new Valk until I can throw them further, or should I look to another disc?

buy a new one, but maybe lighter (160-164) and see how it does for you. Valks have a ton of distance potential, and I wouldn't think about making a step up until I was pushing them to 380' consistently. The next natural progression, IMO, is an orc or beast.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Equipment