Eagle x vs river

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Eagle x vs river

Postby tjh0188 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:41 pm

So I've been throwing a 175 gold line river for a month or so as my primary fairway driver, until it meathooked right into some deep/thick woods and I lost it. One of the greatest things I liked about the river was the insane glide which helps since I am still honing my form. What I want to know is will the eagle be of greater benefit to me or should I buy another river?

This is my second year of play. I'm right handed throwing primarily rhbh but also rhfh when needed. My arm speed is kind of inconsistent, but most of the time I can drive well enough to get slightly domey pro destroyers out to 270-300
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Re: Eagle x vs river

Postby dgdave » Mon May 28, 2012 1:58 pm

An EX would be a great overstable driver for you, but would not replace a river. They would make a good combo
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby turso » Mon May 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Yeah, if you're getting meathooked by a river you seriously shouldn't be throwing destroyers...Eagle-X is as overstable as you'd need to go. In matter of fact I find it hard to believe it meathooks for any powerlevel.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby slowarm » Mon May 28, 2012 2:39 pm

For 270-300 a Star Leopard is the only driver you need. Seriously, you could just learn to throw with putters and mids, but 'cause it's fun to throw drivers (just my opinion!), a Star Leo is a good choice to start with. It's not a meathook, it will break the 300 line easily and it can be thrown into some headwind too.

Whatever you do, drop the Destroyers for a while.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby tjh0188 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:41 pm

By meathooked I mean went way right, anhyzer style. I suppose I could have been clearer. But I agree I should prolly drop the destroyers and slow down some to improve my consistency.
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby jtencer » Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 pm

tjh0188 wrote:By meathooked I mean went way right, anhyzer style. I suppose I could have been clearer. But I agree I should prolly drop the destroyers and slow down some to improve my consistency.

That's the opposite of what meathooked means. A meat hook is an extremely overstable disc that goes left out of your hand RHBH (the flight path looks like the shape of a meat hook).

If your river was too overstable for you, you can see why everyone was telling you to drop the destroyers (good advice but it's based on your faulty information)
jtencer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby tjh0188 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:05 pm

So, aside from me not asking the original question clearly.....eagle x v.s. river at max weight? Lost my river by throwing it too far Anny rhbh. I was basically using it for all fairway/control shots since I don't regularly make it past 300
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 am

What made you lose your River was off axis torque abbreviated to OAT on this site at least. A lighter River would fly farther and would be even more susceptible to OAT. A Leopard flips more easily but fades less and is a better match for your power. I recommend 175 Champion Leopard. Forget about the Eagle get an S FD instead. It will be overstable enough at your power and longer while still easy to manipulate for different lines -an Eagle won't be unless it is Champion Eagle L. Preferably a broken in one but even that will be shorter by a lot vs the Discmania FD.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment