Scoring a nice haul

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Scoring a nice haul

Postby JR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:07 am

I thought this kind of topic is appropriate to let people know what kind of luck and finds you made where so others can rush in to fight over scraps :-)

I went on my brothers business to www.varuste.net store physically. I found very different discs compared to what i'm used to. I haven't thrown any of the discs yet perhaps tomorrow perhaps later.

When it ain't wet or cold i prefer opaque non sand blasted MVP Ion Soft sub 170s for laser putts. Scored two S 166s. Yay! Left none but they do have two 170s left. Unfortunately they don't know how to store discs so some are warped so ensuring that you get perfect ones requires betting on luck or going there in Helsinki, Finland. One of the Ions had a slight intendation in the flight plate. They had sand blasted ones too but the beads looked normal in size.

In general they had tackier discs than normal but many of the discs had either finger prints or some other stuff on them to mess up the shiny looks. I don't know what is going on with Innova but that store had many taffier than i'm used to discs so i splurged some. A pleasant surprise was the softest and tackiest orange Star Coyote 180 i've seen. Check. The same for a merlot colored 175 QOLS. My first one is so hard that the flight plate only has minimal give under the thumb and is slick. Not this new one :-D So far i've met only rock hard slick Qmegas and Sirius Omegas. The Qmega i got is almost indistinguishable from the Sirius in tackiness and both are tackier than earlier primo plastic Omegas i've held. I didn't buy Omega Super Softs because that blend is too floppy for anything but freezing temperatures. It is way softer plastic than my first putter ever an Omega SS from 8 years back. Yes i played with beach frisbees for the first two years.

I was happy until i got home and realized that the almost completely flat R-Pro Roc was a plus mold. Oddly enough with the great tackiness i didn't notice it holding it at the store. Consider me fooled but maybe not because being so flat and + mold it should be very fast and with the flatness i hope for greater HSS than normal Rocs.

Got Westside Discs small bag because i think it fits in my bike. I hazarded buying a bike earlier thinking i might have healed enough to ride to and from the courses to further speed up my recovery. The Westside bag which lacks an English name and possibly distributor in the US is the smallest one i've seen. Good enough for a mobile bag and minimalistic setup without backups. The Finnish name is at least contemplated but i'm not sure if they've made it official. I haven't been to their page so i can't say for sure so i won't say what name Janne Penttilä of Westside Discs used of it.

Got a dark pink TI 175-176 Buzzz because it was flat topped and the shoulder height and all the rest of the important details looked identical to good Z Buzzzes. I really hope this ain't a flippy Buzzz. I like the rough top in the stamp for added grip. The plastic is surprisingly soft but summer is late and finally getting out of spring temps may be a factor in the better feel than i expected.

I spotted 12x Star Wraiths that looked like they should so prior to Bliz that was the best incarnation of the Wraith I've come across. And i do like Pro Wraiths in light weights a lot.

I don't know how the Avery Jenkins Destroyers should look like or even what the stamp is like. They had a way flatter one than Prisma in Joensuu had yesterday. It looks normal in the stamp except there is the signature of Avery in there with the world champ title too. I am not current with the knowledge on Destros because it's been out of my bag for a couple of years. The one i saw was flatter than my FR Star stamped one by a hair.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Scoring a nice haul

Postby JHern » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:30 am

JR wrote:...Got a dark pink TI 175-176 Buzzz because it was flat topped and the shoulder height and all the rest of the important details looked identical to good Z Buzzzes. I really hope this ain't a flippy Buzzz....

I think you got a good one.

JR wrote:I spotted 12x Star Wraiths that looked like they should so prior to Bliz that was the best incarnation of the Wraith I've come across.

I bought one of these before I could figure out how to throw it, and grew into it. Pearly red star with gold 12X stamp, it cut a mean-looking profile when it was new and gleaming. The most over-stable Wraith I've ever thrown, which beats into something purely straight and stable, very controllable, and even trustworthy in frightening winds.

JR wrote:I don't know how the Avery Jenkins Destroyers should look...

They vary because there are different runs of them. The moderately flat ones are money.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Scoring a nice haul

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 am

So they had at least one good AJ Destro and two domier ones. I can confirm that the 175 Ti Buzzz rocks even into a headwind at full power no flipping whatsoever. It is Glo Z HSS and regular Z LSS with slightly more grippyness than a Z thanks to the softer (minimally) plastic and the rough top in the stamp. If i were asked to improve on that disc i'd move the Buzzz text in the rim under the rough spot on top of the disc for even more grip.

I forgot to mention that i fondled Villains and the plastic is the same as the good Opto in the Pure feel wise. AKA nice!

The QOLS got some excessively long flights but the fairly stiff winds made it flip unpredictably. In calmer moments it flew well but it powers down to LSS of a new S PD thrown 380'. So not replacing Leos and Rivers for straight shots but the next step in overstabilty and on the low end of moderately overstable role. Not generally usable due to the wind if you mind guesswork in the hyzer angles when the winds pick up. It needs drying up and when cool it was only marginally grippier than the first one i got right after release of that disc.

If you can get your hands on a + mold R-Pro Roc that is barely taller in the flight plate than flat you've got a beauty. No grip problems when dry and not terribly bad when wet grip wise. The + mold was a no brainer. Slightly less HSS especially into the headwinds i faced than the TI Buzzz but with a hair less LSS. My Roc as a 174 so the weights are basically equal and seeing as the Buzzz flies well straight the Roc is surprisingly long only losing about 10' on average. When new they complimented each other nicely. I imagine that the Buzzz could slowly break into the same flight except longer. This Roc flies farther than the others i've tried. It is too light for trusting it in each condition so i have to hunt for a max weight one probably. Likey!

The Coyote didn't handle the winds i faced. The winds preceded rain thus they were up.

The Ion is consistent with what you would expect other than having enough grip after drying it up.

I posted about the preferable overall impression of the Qmega in the Millennium thread.

I threw the Coyote the least thanks to the wind and improper hole lengths for it and got plenty of spot on placements with each of the other disc. Plenty of gimme putts
:-D Good catch indeed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment