MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:52 am

Yes. The Volt has got me excited. You guys would think there was something really wrong if I was just like "I got my Volts today. They fly pretty good."
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Leopard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:51 am

discspeed wrote:I have too small a sample size to say...I haven't even compared two discs of the same color. All the domes are pretty moderate...Nothing totally flat, nothing poppy topped.

We threw a box of 11 of 'em, maybe 5 throws on each disc... ZJ said they all flew the same.
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 am

I just don't want that much turn and fade out of a non distance driver. I like either turn or fade. If I want an S, I like to turn an overstable disc and let it fade back.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm

discspeed wrote:Yes. The Volt has got me excited. You guys would think there was something really wrong if I was just like "I got my Volts today. They fly pretty good."

We're just bustin your balls
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:22 am

zj1002 wrote:Similar distance of a TD but powers down better. But more stabilty out of the box compared to the TD(over all types of TD)

More stability is always fine but the really interesting point for me personally is the good stopping power on landing. There are plenty of skippers and somewhat skipping discs but only putters and mayyyyybe some mids that have breaks. So for a driver to have this capability that alone is utility worthy if it were horrible, non suiting or overlapping with the rest of the bag. If you were unwilling to change the bag after adopting the Volt. So i will be trying one out when i come across one and will be actively on the look out for it after the release date.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:29 am

Is forward fade similar to no fade or little fade?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby dgdave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 am

It's when a disc is fading, it goes forward as it fades instead of just dumping off.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:25 am

Does this disc do anything 1.1 SOLFs don't do?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby disc junkie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 am

First Off big THANK YOU to MVP and Discnation for making these Volts available. I think I was able to test around 9 of them and they all flew and felt pretty much the exact same, any difference was very minimal. I also now have two Volts in my bag. I hope to beat the heck out of one to see how itll break in.

Just wanted to drop in and say the Volt is made of rainbows and lucky charms. I know I dont have the name recognition here on the boards as Discspeed, Mike C or ZJ but I can assure you I know a little bit about throwing a golf disc. Anywho here are some thoughts.

I went to discnation yesterday to give some Volts some air time to see what I'd think about it. Honestly while i was excited to throw the Volt I had limited expectations mainly because I've been so disappointed lately with the latest releases of golf discs. Well, the Volt blew me away literally from my first throw. This is truly a unique mold as I cant really nail down a comparable disc unless I make some form of hybrid combo. I worked the Volt all over the DN range with all types of shots both BH and FH and it outshined every expectation by a large margin.

I've never thrown a disc that could be ranged so well at such significantly different distances. I was getting the volts out to around 470ish max but i could throw some 450 shots on a freaking rope but what really blew me away was how well the Volt also performed on the 280-300ft range. As long as im not throwing into a big headwind i can throw the Volt on pretty much every shot i could think of at many different distances. I dont think i can say that about any other disc. The glide is also top notch assuming you give enough spin. Also the outer mold really allows this disc to just hit and sit. The outer mold really seems to minimalize the skip at the end of the flight.

The Volt is Not flippy it in my opinion could easy be a workhorse driver. No I cant say the Volt can handle a big headwind but it can definitely handle some headwinds(depends mostly on the thrower in this situation). I throw an array of PDs and I thing the Volt will pair with it perfectly. Honestly I see the Volt replacing the Krait and FDs that I was carrying. The Volt also really handles FH shots really well but I have to admit that is my weakest point of my game but I was getting some nice rips. The Volts handles FH much better than the MVP mids do.

As much as I wanted to say the Big Three were just hyping the disc and wanted to have some different findings I just cant say anything negative about the Volt.This disc truly lives up to the hype. I also really Really like the Neutron Plastic (made me put back the Vector).

BRAVO MVP!!!!!
Last edited by disc junkie on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby disc junkie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Does this disc do anything 1.1 SOLFs don't do?

In all honestly the SOLF 1.1 was what I first thought of when throwing the Volt but there is just something different about the Volt that I cant quite nail down except that is just that bad ass.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Does this disc do anything 1.1 SOLFs don't do?

1.1 solfs don't eat lucky charms and shit rainbows
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Is that a firefox encountering an unexpected problem with windows?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Is that a firefox encountering an unexpected problem with windows?

That's an Olf. Not quite a Wolf.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:36 am

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby sunspot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Would the Volt pair better with a Predator or PD?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment