Squall vs Gremlin

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Squall vs Gremlin

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:01 am

Compare the two for me, Would like a faster Midrange thats slightly overstable.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Re: Squall vs Gremlin

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:10 am

I haven't thrown the squall much but I can tell you the Gremlin is a vastly different disc. The gremlin has less glide than the squall and the gremlin also shows straighter flights at high speeds. at low speeds they are similar.

I would actually recommend the Star Cro for a fast overstable midrange. I think it is superior to both the Gremlin and Squall based on the type of flight you want. I have actually been pleasently surprised by the R-pro cro. It gets a ton of glide while still holding similar stability to the star cros. If you can find the grippy r-pro cros(some are slick) they are legit and very underrated.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Ive not thrown the Cro either but was also considering it. Looking for a straight flight but dependable small-med fade at end, especially for small-moderate headwinds. I throw a Roc KC Pro now 176 gram. Getting 260-270 out of it at full power. I also throw a MD2 Pro 173 gram which I can dependable get 290-300 very accuratly and dependably. Into wind it though it just turns and keeps going right. So I figured a faster then a roc disc but with the stability to finish left would be better for me. An MD2 but with more stability or zero turn.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Cro fits the last requirements but it does't glide well in Star and finished quite hard so maybe the R-Pro would work. I haven't thrown those. GM from Discmania turns more than Squalls but it ain't a full replica of a Gremlin and i've never thrown a Gremlin. GM and Squall aren't headwind discs and the Squall is almost fairway driver long.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:55 pm

JR- Yes I meant the GM from Discmania in Star and a Squall in SP plastic from DGA of course.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:00 pm

From the Got to throw chart the GM and Squall seem very closely rated with the GM slightly more turn and fade. Same distance rating at 3.5. Just wondering from personal experiences how these compare.

GM- -1.5 HSS 2.5 LSS
Squall- -1 HSS 1.5 LSS

According to the chart the GM turns more and fades more then Squall. Both fly similar distances.
Last edited by AcesAZ on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 pm

The GM might start out overstable (some are like the effing Drone), but it doesn't last long. They're neutral to slightly understable at high speeds when pushed. In comparison the Squall is much faster and glidier (than a very domey GM, like he majority are nowadays), but I'd still say it's more of a finesse disc than the GM. At least the SP and Proline Squalls we got to test were quite understable when pushed from the get go and worked great for all sorts of finesse shots, and could be hyzerflipped for great distance.

The Cro doesn't enjoy a lot of popularity, but it is a faster and somewhat overstable mid-range. The Hornet could also qualify, it's not quite as fast but will still go quicker than most mid ranges.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:04 pm

GM definitely fades more for me but i only have 1. SP Squall is more HSS and less LSS than the ESP equivalent Squall. SP Squall is way straighter than a GM and a lot longer if not nutted. The GM needs a lot of power to not fade out hard early losing distance. It craves more power than you have now. SP Squall would be good for lower powered mid shot replacement while you are recovering though but no joy into headwinds. Damn fine in rear winds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Hornet and Pain were not that HSS initially and i have no idea about later reportedly more HSS ones. Cro is slower than the Hornet and the Pain probably. I haven't thrown any kind of Pains and own an early Hornet. Those fade out too so for straight headwinds a Cro could be good and something else like the Squall in calmer conditions. The best of both worlds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Any other discs fit the bill? Im sort of leaning towards a Squall in SP. Fast straight mid with a tad of dependable and repeatable fade. PS I dont play in high winds very often but do face up to 20 mph once in a while.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah maybe a DX Cro/SP Squall/P MD2 mid lineup could work well and cover all midrange shots.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 pm

I wouldn't say all. Those cover everything except howling headwinds straight/hook lefts where Gators and Zones rule. Well maybe Drones too but i haven't thrown those. Apart from that those should work fine. But Coyote is a tremendous disc sitting in between Squall and MD2 distance wise. But you already have an MD 2 and with your leg i'd pick a longer disc to offset throwing protecting the leg=under powered. So in this case i'd give the edge to the SP Squall. Normally it overlaps with FWs so i'd say a Coyote but this is a special circumstance. It is possible to build a great bag with tweeners and it is a matter of taste whether you call the Coyote a mid or a tweener. The Squall is obviously a tweener. For powering down not sacrificing distance and still getting straight then left finishing flights i'd pick a Stalker instead of the Cro.

Bag building wise P PD powers down well enough to handle FW duties saving your body and it is long enough to not overlap with the Stalker and the Squall. They are almost as long with the Stalker being a hair longer but together they would cover all flight lines when you factor in that the PD can handle hooks powered down to the distance of the Squalls and the Stalkers so those three would make a good core of a recuperation bag. And why not even a long term bag.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:28 pm

I actually have a stalker sitting on the sidelines. I have a Banshee/teebird/leopard/vision FWY lineup.

I think I'll buy an RPro Cro and SP Squall. Probably 170-173 gram.

Levaing my bag setup as

Destroyer/DD2/Astra/Bliz Katana
Banshee/Teebird/Leoppard/Vision
Cro/Squall/MD2
P2/Magic
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:30 pm

I should also add that the Z Stalker for me goes almost as long as the teebird (its straight and finishes straight/No fade really so Im not sure it would work as well as a Cro or Pain/Hornet/etc, almost interchangeable but with the Squall as a straight Mid I think Teebird works better. My dx teebird took a HUGE chunk from a tree the other day, So I am open to suggestions on FWY's too. Maybe PD time.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 pm

You have lots of discs and some of them are very beefy for your current power. How about replacing the TB with the Stalker so you don't need to buy a new FW? Squall powers down better being less LSS. Stalker is shorter than TB PD is longer. Not a poor choice by any means.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Equipment