Sidearm mid

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sidearm mid

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:11 pm

I don’t know if this is the info you’re truly looking for, but…

You can throw any disc sidearm, it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Mark made a great post about the training wheels of overstable discs. You'd be better served if you just went out into a field (like the vid Mike posted) and start with putters from 50'. Get 5 or 10 of the same disc and same weight and throw until you're "bored", if you will. You can start whichever way you’d like, but I always like starting on how to throw flat and straight before I ever move to hyzer or anhyzer shots.

I recently broke my leg and was not able to play for a few months and when I came back, I was rusty as hell. The first thing I did was get all 10 of Zero Line Pures (considered super “flippy” discs to FH’rs that only throw stable to overstable discs) and only threw sidearm for two weeks, every day. Without writing a novel, I did what Mike did for my accuracy drills from all directions and all shot types. Now, I’m completely comfortable throwing Pures on a hyzer line from 200’. I could never do that before, but that is what happens when you learn clean form.

When you can reach a point like this, you’ll soon realize you can flick ANY disc and you’ll look at overstable discs like how Mark describes, as utility and not necessity. This game is all about shaping lines, control, and accuracy.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby inthedrift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Nice post Sean. Glad to hear you're gonna make it up here soon :D
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby victorb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:52 am

Sean40474 wrote:

When you can reach a point like this, you’ll soon realize you can flick ANY disc and you’ll look at overstable discs like how Mark describes, as utility and not necessity. This game is all about shaping lines, control, and accuracy.

Agreed. I do carry a very overstable midrange for sidearm shots, but it's more for range control, and not to keep from flipping it. I can sidearm Rocs, Jackals, Challengers, etc just fine, but for some shots it's just easier to use my champ gator so I don't fly by my intended landing zone. Again, it's a niche disc for me, as it should be for most players.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 pm

inthedrift wrote:Nice post Sean. Glad to hear you're gonna make it up here soon :D

Thanks man, I'm happy I'll be there, not sure when yet. Looks like the end of August or beginning of September.

victorb wrote:Agreed. I do carry a very overstable midrange for sidearm shots, but it's more for range control, and not to keep from flipping it. I can sidearm Rocs, Jackals, Challengers, etc just fine, but for some shots it's just easier to use my champ gator so I don't fly by my intended landing zone. Again, it's a niche disc for me, as it should be for most players.

I missed this on my post, but I guess I touched on it indirectly. I think for what you use it for (range control), would/might be considered utility. Like someone (dave?) once said to one of my posts a long time ago....just because you can get "that" disc there, doesn't mean it is the one you should (always) use....or something to that effect.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby money 21 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:10 am

I think the fh makes a lot of newer player uncomfortable in the approach game because as Mark puts it the margin of error is so small. On a drive if the disc flipps a little bit beofre coming back you just get a little more distance or not as much fade on the end. With an approach the little bit of turn can turn a par into a bog real quick so they only look for one thing in a fh approach disc over stable. Most new players also try and throw FH to hard as well so need the overstable disc to cover up for that.

I had some newer play hop on to a round with me the other day one was fh dominate the other switched back and forth between fh and bh. On one of the real tight hole on the course I tee off with my mako BH and threw a frozen rope right down the middle of the fairway. the Fh player asked what disc I threw when i answered the switching player stated that you can't throw a Mako FH. So I walked up threw a FH anny with the mako from about 150' and hit chains. The FH anny is a under used shot in the game.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby victorb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 am

Sean40474 wrote:I missed this on my post, but I guess I touched on it indirectly. I think for what you use it for (range control), would/might be considered utility. Like someone (dave?) once said to one of my posts a long time ago....just because you can get "that" disc there, doesn't mean it is the one you should (always) use....or something to that effect.

It's totally a niche disc. I only use it when I don't want to power a putter sidearm but don't want to fly past with a roc. Maybe throw it twice a round, at most.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby nismo923 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 pm

So from what I'm really learning now is, that I need to learn to do the work. What I don't understand though, is why do I need to do this? There is a ton of different discs out there that all do different things. Why shouldn't the disc just do wht it's supposed to do?
nismo923
Noob

Sidearm mid

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm

+1 on learning to make a disc work for you. My Champ Gator is for strong headwinds and when I need better range control. I hate throwing it FH, unless the shot calls for it. Its just too short. I can sidearm my beat D MD2's and other mids just fine. Learning these skills is invaluable to your game. It teaches you how to shape lines and control the disc with nose angles and different power levels rather than just wailing on a disc each time.

I didn't read all of these posts. Sorry if someone already said something to that effect.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment