Magnets

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Magnets

Postby latitude » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Big different beetwen the Magnet and the Soft Magnet exept the feeling of the plastic? How is the plastic anyway? Never tried a Magnet :oops: :D
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Postby domromer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:38 pm

I really like the way the plastic feels. It's a lot floppier than a wizard. But saying that I can't give up my wizard. I have 3 brand new ones sitting on my shelf doing nothing.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby cmlasley » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:39 pm

I haven't seen much difference between the two as far as flight. The normal D plastic magnet is fine. It starts out smooth and stiff and breaks into a nice soft grippy surface. The soft does this at an accelerated rate, but both are fairly durable and can give you years of play. I have a regular one that I used 5 years before I moved on, and it is still in my bag o' practice putters.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby deaddisc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

I use the magnet for any non-straddle putts, and I love them. I use the soft kind because I like to use a somewhat floppy putter and the firm magnet is just that, firm. IMO the plastics are different, and there are also different variations on the soft magnet where some are more floppy than others. Id say that you should try one out if you are looking for a new putter, but they arent that great for putter drives IMO.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:30 pm

they're made from the same plastic but i agree they feel like diffrent blends becuase i would assume they are. both are proD. they remind me of a beadless aviar. the reason some are floppier than other is becuase of the time of they they run the. here in michigan we have all 4 seasons and that effect the cooling and thus the stiffness.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 pm

The two magnets feel very different to me. I love the soft magnet, but don't like the normal pro D at all. I don't have any problems driving with the soft magnet either. It takes a little adjusting because you get used to throwing firm discs for driving and the soft magnet feels a little floppy when you go to throw.

It's also a zero stability disc, so it will fly/putt dead flat and not fade until it really runs out of juice. It will also hold a hyzer putt very well or an anhyzer putt very well.

My only complaint is that if you accidentally turn the disc over a little when you putt (as in when you might be trying to put a little extra on a long putt), it won't come back. It just turns over and finishes right or flat.

I do believe that bounces off the basket aren't as bad as with the hard plastic putters. The soft magnet sort of absorbs a little of the bounce, so they kind of bounce of instead of ricocheting off at full speed.

Chris Hysell uses one that's so old the top is dimpled and warped and all the graphic has been worn off by his finger rubbing. I think it's probably in the top 5 of putters.

As I stated in another post, I'm not as crazy about it for pitch putting, but it's not bad for anything. When driving it's really good for just about anything. It'll flip up and fly flat, hyzer or hold a great anhyzer and not fade back (this could be a bad thing if it's not what you want).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: Magnets

Postby BLURR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:21 am

My apologies for the nerco-bump. But I am trying to figure out why there is no love for the magnet anymore. And the few that do like the magnet, seem to only like te floppy soft version. Why not the regular pro d magnet? I was putting around in the backyard yesterday and my daughters old pro d magnet was sitting in the basket. So i grabbed it and put in with my stack of wizards. It putts so straight and true, especially from longer distances. Almost made me want to put it in the bag, along side my wizards, for long range putting. Smooth and straight is great.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby money 21 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm

i putt with the pro d magnets and throw the soft ones. very easy to putt straight with. using a clutch right now because the weather is crappy and i don't want to lose the magnet i have in the rotation right now.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:44 pm

I bought a magnet a couple weeks ago at the ice bowl. My son and I were waiting for the award, it was taking forever, iIddidn't bring my discs, and we wanted to play. It was the cheapest disc LSDiscs had, so I grabbed a 172 pro d. It is really nice. I hadn't used one in a few years. Very slow deliberate flight and great glide. Anyone want to trade for it?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby PMantle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:49 pm

dgdave wrote: Anyone want to trade for it?

What would you want in trade?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Something legacy
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 am

Magnets are still nice but Ions and Anodes in appropriate variations for different preferences have a slight edge for those that like glide in a putter. You said that you like the glide of the Magnet vs a Wizard for long throws. Ions and Anodes are straighter and glidier but so is an APX but it is way less HSS. As in flipping in a long headwind putt unlike Magnets, Ions and Anodes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 am

the disc golf store just got a new shippment of discraft and the soft magnet and the white one were sweet. there were a few that are firmer and feel like the protoge plastic on the clutch and closer. There tops were flat to concaved as well, :D
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby dgdave » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Any pink clutches there?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 pm

BLURR wrote:My apologies for the nerco-bump. But I am trying to figure out why there is no love for the magnet anymore. And the few that do like the magnet, seem to only like te floppy soft version. Why not the regular pro d magnet? I was putting around in the backyard yesterday and my daughters old pro d magnet was sitting in the basket. So i grabbed it and put in with my stack of wizards. It putts so straight and true, especially from longer distances. Almost made me want to put it in the bag, along side my wizards, for long range putting. Smooth and straight is great.
I'll play...

Magnets were a big deal when they came out. It was finally a disc to compete with the Aviar. Discraft guys all used Magnets; and if you used Aviars and decided to change things up it was the the no-brainer option. I swapped Aviars and Magnets back and forth all the way through the 90's.

Discraft did an odd thing by bringing out the APX and (more importantly) the Challenger. They basically seemed to be competing with themselves. Innova just pumped out different versions of the Aviar, so if you threw a KC or a JK you were still throwing an Aviar. Then when the Wizard came out, there suddenly a lot of quality putters out there when before there really were two (three if you consider the Omega a different discs.) So even by the mid-00's the Magnet seemed to have lost its standing. It had been the #2 putter in the game, but by then it was the #2 putter at Discraft and sliding down the list of putters. Now that you have the Banger GT, Zone and the Focus, it's hard to know if the Magnet is even the #2 putter at Discraft anymore.

By now so many companies have jumped in that there are tons and tons of putters, and most of them are pretty darn good. It's hard to stand out in that crowd. The Magnet I guess has the fact that a lot of us used to throw them going for them. Truthfully, if it wasn't an old disc I had thrown back in the day I probably would never have tried one.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Next

Return to Equipment