Good deal for a newbie?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Good deal for a newbie?

Postby ultidisc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Cheers all-

I'm a longtime Ulti player, but a good friend is getting me into disc golf. After playing a few times at local courses with my ulti-style discs, I'm ready to start learning how to throw the real things. Just so happens that my mother-in-law asked for a Christmas idea, so I'm looking at a couple starter sets.

The one I'm particularly interested in is a Nutsac bag with an Innova Sidewinder and Shark (both DX) and a Millenium Omega putter. The Nutsac may be a totally gimmicky thing, so feel free to flame me, but I like the satchel style and I really don't see ever carrying more than 6 discs, at least not in the next couple years. As far as the discs themselves, I'm sure it's a rather basic collection, but I'm suffering serious information overload, and these seemed relatively "safe" (I've thrown golf discs a total of about twice). The whole set is about $65 shipped. (Link: http://discsunlimited.net/disc_golf_bags_sets.html#fade-millennium)
SO, the questions: is it a decent deal? Will I be happy with the discs? Suggestions for a better package/starter set? Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!
ultidisc
Noob

Re: Good deal for a newbie?

Postby allsport1313 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 am

Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25294

Lots of good ideas for starter discs. I'm not too fond of those sets so I'll recommend what I did in the other thread. A Discraft Z Buzzz is an amazing disc and can handle most all of your duties outside putting range for a while. Even as you improve its still a really solid disc by most anyone's standards.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby ADiscand3Plates » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 am

If you want to go with starter sets. The fade-millennium is a better deal overall. Fadegear bags are well made. It will last until you need more room. And you will need more room. :) The millennium plastic will last longer than the DX. The JLS will become a straight to turn over driver. The MS will pretty much be a point and shoot mid. The Omega will be the LAST putter you ever need. You can avoid information overload by staying with Millennium. :D AND. I am not biased. :lol:
ADiscand3Plates
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby ultidisc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I appreciate the feedback. Might look at doing an Amazon Wishlist linkup to specific disks.

One more question: Disc Nation's website has some factory-second bundles that are a really good price. They say the blemishes are surface only, and do not "materially affect the performance of the disc." Any experience with those kind of deals/discs? Worth buying?
ultidisc
Noob

Postby ultidisc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Eh... saw the thread about Innova factory seconds. Seems they're more questionable than Discraft. But there's no indication as to what brand(s) would be included. Still would love any responses, if anyone's had experience w/ these kind of bundles.
ultidisc
Noob

Postby slowarm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 am

I've had about 10 X-outs from Innova. Most of them have been like the "regular" ones. One Star Starfire X-out was the worst disc ever I've had in my hands (okay, honestly, Quest AT Odyssey Ultra Long Range Driver was the worst). On the other hand, I've got a freaky overstable Champ Teebird X-out in my bag as a headwind driver and I love it.

So I'd say you're pretty safe buying F2s/X-outs, but it's always a lottery...
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby abarker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:59 pm

When it comes to the discs, the Sidewinder and Shark are great ones for new disc golfers. The Omega Super Soft putter is my personal favorite. I think you'll be happy with the discs. In the future, you'll probably want a few more discs... here's a post going over the top rated golf discs http://discgolftests.blogspot.com/2012/ ... discs.html to help you out.

I guess it all comes down to how much you really want to get into DG, and if that bag is worth $40 to you. Once you get into it you'll probably want a few more discs. It's nice to have stable and overstable discs, in several different speeds, depending on the shot you have. You really may want a bigger bag.

I'd recommend a less expensive bag that holds 11 discs, unless you're sure you'll stay casual. But Disc golf is addictive and you may not want to limit yourself by investing in an expensive bag that doesn't hold many discs.
Find The Perfect Disc
http://InfiniteDiscs.com

abarker
Noob

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Saint

Postby AcesAZ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 pm

When I started playing I thought maybe I'll just get like 6 discs. Never more then that. Well a year later and 150-200 rounds I carry 25 routinely. So Im not sure a small bag is the way to go or not. It really depends if you will just stay casual or get addicted like most of us. You really do want to carry more then 6 discs. I could probably get away with carrying 10-12 and score the same though. I have multiples of the same disc in different weights for slightly different flights, wind etc.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Return to Equipment