Can a beginner throw lighter discs or heavy

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Can a beginner throw lighter discs or heavy

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Which one can a beginner throw farther the lighter discs like 150-165 or heavier like 165-180?
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Re: Can a beginner throw lighter discs or heavy

Postby dgdave » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Usually lighter
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby allsport1313 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Short answer is lighter discs. But I think there's too many variables to say something empirically like, "Beginners can throw lighter discs farther". I also don't know anyone that considers 165g to be heavy. Try and see what works for you, in Texas I would lean on the heavier side for most days and save lights for tailwinds.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby keltik » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 pm

allsport1313 wrote:Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Short answer is lighter discs. But I think there's too many variables to say something empirically like, "Beginners can throw lighter discs farther". I also don't know anyone that considers 165g to be heavy. Try and see what works for you, in Texas I would lean on the heavier side for most days and save lights for tailwinds.

You are correct. It does depend on the mold, and yes before blizzard 165 was not considered heavy. I can't speak on Texas winds.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:05 pm

The term beginner only defines experience not general athletic strength and skill. Most beginners will throw better (farther and more accurately) with lighter discs but this is not an absolute rule. It also matters a lot whether a beginner is trying to figure things out on their own or has a good teacher.

The greatest problem a beginner has in acquiring distance is lack of form. So there lies dormant a power potential which cannot be tapped until knowledge and practice can catch up. The fastest way to throw farther is to find a good teacher. Ten minutes of instruction may be better than a month of trial and error on your own. Also playing with good players gives a beginner something to model his or her game after.

Many beginners are too shy or embarrassed to seek out aid, figuring they will wait until they are better. This is a huge mistake. Starting with better form and a good idea what needs to be done will quickly improve their games. Many good players consider it a compliment when a beginner asks their advice and are happy to give it.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 pm

I think the biggest problem for beginners (at least for me when I started) you don't know anything about the sport. you don't know anyone in your local scene or if there is a local scene. Fortunately there are places like this where people can ask questions and find help. help in person is worth the teacher's weight in gold. IMO.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Equipment