Putter problems...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter problems...

Postby ranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 am

Hey

I’m in need of some opinions. I have been playing golf for a few years now and I want to improve my putting.

I suppose I’m an average putter, but I really struggle with long range attempts. And because of my lack of confidence in my putts, I tend to over think my shot and miss easy ones during the game. I know some of my problem is mental, but I think I can get rid of that once I’m comfortable that I have a decent putt.

My questions:
1) What kind of disc should I be putting with? What about weight? I know disc choice is personal preference, but I just don’t know where to start.

I have been putting with a DX Rhyno (about 165-170) the last few years but I’m willing to try something new. I would like to buy 3 or 4 of the same putters and start practicing every day.

2) Is there a tutorial with pics or a video that could help me improve my form?

3) Is there a specific way to practice putting (sounds like a silly question)? Should I start trying really far putts or just move out to my current “trouble” range?

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the technique board, but I figured it has to do with discs.
ranger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Nuke

Re: Putter problems...

Postby discpunk26 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:12 pm

The biggest thing is to just get comfortable, then build your confidence. Get your footing, every time you step up to your put get your footing set. that is where all your power comes from is a stable base. Start short when you practice, don't start at your problem areas, in order to build your confidence you need to start short hit all those 5-10 footers, then move back to 10-15 footers. Make sure you remember how the good putts feel coming out of your hand. One thing that has really helped me with my putting is a line from a movie, The Patriot. Mel Gibson tells his sons to aim small, so that if you miss you miss small. There is a video that Eric McCabe did on putting, the McCabe minute, and he says he aims for one chain link, same concept.

As far as what putter you should use, that is entirely up to you. The questions you have to ask yourself are, what do I want to disc to do, do I want the disc to be straight, or finish into the basket? Do I want the float and glide, or do I want it to drop fast? The last of these questions should always be how does the disc feel? If the disc doesn't feel right in your hand you are going to doubt what you are about to do.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm

I second the start small and work your way out approach.

For longer putts and developing feel, don't putt...play catch! Get a friend and toss 50-100 ft shots back and forth with a putter. Throw anhyzers, hyzers, straight shots...mess around and get a feel for the disc. Vary release angles, grips, and foot positioning until you find a comfortable thing.

Know your disc, love your disc. It's 100% feel and touch and it can be done with a huge variety of technique. Smooth and controlled is where it's at.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Welcome. What is your preferred style and hand and finger size? The larger the hand the taller the putter can be. Rhynos are low glide power hungry discs that force you to putt hard at longer range and since they have a hefty fade they move a lot sideways too at longer ranges. That is why a more gliding (lower power requirement thus less punching=more consistency) putter that fades less for less estimation need for sideways action helps. Also a degree or two of anny in the grip can help too. For a straight disc when there is warmth and it is dry the Ion and Anode can be hard to beat except with a very tall Rattler. Rattlers have some semi tacky ones among them. For a little less glide but great tackiness for adverse weather Vibram Sole i recommend X Link medium material.

Check out this video:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 pm

ranger wrote:I have been putting with a DX Rhyno (about 165-170) the last few years but I’m willing to try something new. I would like to buy 3 or 4 of the same putters and start practicing every day.

I find the Rhyno to be a very difficult putter to use. Great for wind, but I would hate to have to use it daily. I putt so much better with things like: Aviar/Magnet/Magic/Wizard.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby ranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm

That makes me feel a bit better. This Rhyno has been killing me for years now.

JR wrote:Welcome. What is your preferred style and hand and finger size? The larger the hand the taller the putter can be. Rhynos are low glide power hungry discs that force you to putt hard at longer range and since they have a hefty fade they move a lot sideways too at longer ranges. That is why a more gliding (lower power requirement thus less punching=more consistency) putter that fades less for less estimation need for sideways action helps. Also a degree or two of anny in the grip can help too. For a straight disc when there is warmth and it is dry the Ion and Anode can be hard to beat except with a very tall Rattler. Rattlers have some semi tacky ones among them. For a little less glide but great tackiness for adverse weather Vibram Sole i recommend X Link medium material.

Check out this video:

I guess I don't know what my preferred style would even be. I don't have very big hands but most discs feel okay to me.

The anode is interesting. Is there a specific weight I should try? I looks like there are a few different versions (Proton, Neutron, Soft). Is there a specific type I should try?
Last edited by ranger on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ranger
Noob

Postby ranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm

discpunk26 wrote:The biggest thing is to just get comfortable, then build your confidence. Get your footing, every time you step up to your put get your footing set. that is where all your power comes from is a stable base. Start short when you practice, don't start at your problem areas, in order to build your confidence you need to start short hit all those 5-10 footers, then move back to 10-15 footers. Make sure you remember how the good putts feel coming out of your hand. One thing that has really helped me with my putting is a line from a movie, The Patriot. Mel Gibson tells his sons to aim small, so that if you miss you miss small. There is a video that Eric McCabe did on putting, the McCabe minute, and he says he aims for one chain link, same concept.

As far as what putter you should use, that is entirely up to you. The questions you have to ask yourself are, what do I want to disc to do, do I want the disc to be straight, or finish into the basket? Do I want the float and glide, or do I want it to drop fast? The last of these questions should always be how does the disc feel? If the disc doesn't feel right in your hand you are going to doubt what you are about to do.

I really like the advice of focusing on just one chain. I used to try that but it's something that I don't think about anymore. Focusing more is probably another one of my problems.

Thanks to everyone for all this great info!
ranger
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm

The two form tricks that have helped me the most are not allowing the elbow to get straight before the disc has left the fingers and that is achieved by a quick acceleration of the arm. A really quick acceleration like a punch with loose arm muscles to make the speed quicker. You are not lifting weights so the muscles don't need to be bulged up tight. That will drop the arm speed and the distance you get. You gain some physical feeling of the disc weight with a quick acceleration that can be used to aim. You should see the accuracy and consistency improve. A lot.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm

very interesting

so, I'm thinking about trying a few MVP discs.

Anode - proton soft

Ion - proton soft

170 or so

idk

does this sound okay for putting?
ranger
Noob

Postby allsport1313 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:23 pm

That Mark Ellis video is pure money. I would worry less about peoples tips and techniques and employ what you are already doing with a good amount of diligence.
Last edited by allsport1313 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby ranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

ha

yeah, I'm the opposite. Too much time practicing drives and not enough putting.

I just got a basket last week, so the plan is to putt as much as possible.
ranger
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:40 pm

The newer Neutron plastic is marginally softer and a little tackier so they are a little less likely to slip. I don't know if you play in the winter and what the weather is like where you live but no MVP disc is trouble free in the winter. If there is snow they are the opposite of trouble free and then i recommend Vibram Sole over them or one of each for a shootout to decide which works the best. Once the grease on top of Vibrams are rinsed off with citrus wash they become very tacky. Being mostly rubber they dry in a year so a ruber rejuvenator would be a good idea every now and then. Mark Ellis uses Pow'r Tac and i use beeswax in the winter for added grip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 pm

stay away from the soft then?
ranger
Noob

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 pm

JR wrote:Mark Ellis uses Pow'r Tac and i use beeswax in the winter for added grip.

Do you apply the beeswax to the disc or hands?
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:05 am

Yes. :-) When i have the time i occasionally rub beeswax into my finger tips but mostly i go with applying a little to the disc both in the flight plate and the rim. Some commercial grip enhancers use beeswax in them and beeswax is an olde tyme skin care trick that has been used for a long time in medicine and cosmetic industries for skin care.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Equipment