Disc Repair

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Repair

Postby Crunkjuice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

I found an champ destroyer in the creek with no name on it. Its in fantastic condition on the rim, but the flight plate is dented in one place fairly noticeably. Is there any way to get the flight plate back to normal? How much will a big dent effect the flight of the disc?

Crunkjuice
Noob

Re: Disc Repair

Postby keltik » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 pm

the rim/PLH is what affects flight most. the clovered flight plate I think only affects glide. Throw to see what it does first. if you don't like how it flies, place the disc upside down on the counter and pour boiling water into the cavity. let it sit until the water cools. it will be flat. if you want dome but it in a bowl with the rim of the bowl supporting the top of the flight plate and do the boiling water trick.

NOTE: this will make this disc technically illegal for pdga play. this is a rule of honor (meaning you will probably not be called on throwing the disc but you will know in your heart and have to live with it...)
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:17 am

Actually returning the disc back to normal from a clear mistake is within the rules. It is not provable that that disc is not up to factory spec after hot water. I'd use water from a water heater/coffee machine instead of boiling water so that there is less chance of a mishap and burning yourself. The disc should become more normal in shape even with less hot than boiling water.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:03 am

tea kettle?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby chunk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 am

keltik wrote:Throw to see what it does first.

ditto. it may be that perfect turnover disc you've been looking for. :wink:
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Crunkjuice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Well, i threw it and it was actually really funny. When i released it, it had a flutter like a putdoes sometimes, except at high speeds. It looked like the disc was vibrating through the flight. A cup of boiling water later, and some more test throws and now it throws great. Thanks for the help.
Crunkjuice
Noob

Return to Equipment