Innova Tern

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Tern

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:51 pm

JR wrote:Pro Beast is a hair longer than Champ and at least gets to be as straight as a Champ fairly soon or starts out as straight. Or the ones i use from a few years back were. These do not have the more os Pro behavior like other drivers often do.

Now I do know that the older Pearly Champion Beasts(L-Wing) would get really straight and then a bit flippy. The newer ones I have not found to be that way. Not sure if it's the mold process or the stiff champion plastic that makes the newer ones so dang stable. Almost feels like a different disc at times.

I do remember some of the older Pro Beasts had a pretty good stability for a while,but they would get pretty understable. Great Tailwind Drivers the Pro is. My Newer Pro Beast has a bit of dome and even after just a little bit of use it feels like some of the older ones. I still have to throw it with just a bit of hyzer to prevent it from turning over on me. Now dogleg Rights that are really long I'm throwing that Pro Beast Flat everytime and it turns over just right and rides it right to the ground.

I may need to try out another of the newer Champion Beasts though. I may just have a freak,but not sure. It's got a bit of wear on it and it still flies plenty stable.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:02 pm

When I was using the champ Beast a 2-3 years ago, it was straight and fadeless on a flat throw, in calm conditions. Any headwind would send it right a ways. I had 2, and these were not domey but had a very moderate dome. And one was without flight numbers, IIRC. Otherwise they looked identical, both orange champs. Closest thing it reminded me of was the Z Surge SS.

The gradual right turn with your beat Pro Beast for that long dog-leg right sounds sweet, and I can picture it doing that.

I think JR's indestructible Pro Beast is a special knockoff with a titanium coated wing. :wink:
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:10 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:When I was using the champ Beast a 2-3 years ago, it was straight and fadeless on a flat throw, in calm conditions. Any headwind would send it right a ways. I had 2, and these were not domey but had a very moderate dome. And one was without flight numbers, IIRC. Otherwise they looked identical, both orange champs. Closest thing it reminded me of was the Z Surge SS.

The gradual right turn with your beat Pro Beast for that long dog-leg right sounds sweet, and I can picture it doing that.

I think JR's indestructible Pro Beast is a special knockoff with a titanium coated wing. :wink:

That's what I was trying to say about both my pearly champion beasts. Pretty much fadeless,but could be hyzerflipped easily.

Man the Pro Beast I have Excels at that shot. It's a thing of Beauty when it makes it through.

yeah it could be a beast of a Pro Beast. :wink: Man some of them old ones were pretty dang good though.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Yeh, better glide on the Pro.

I'm not disputing the stability claim, just the indestructible Pro plastic claim.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue May 06, 2014 11:09 am

Shit i wish it were indestructible because it is still ok after it got sliced. Disc makers have lots of other methods of influencing disc shape and stability than what was mentioned. Do not sell them short they do this for a living. The term Pro is as misleading as Star in some cases because they have made hundreds of blenfs of Star by now. And Pro varies hugely from floppy will die instantly on a close tree hit to basically a Star like the SOLF that at least in run 1.1 was to my knowledge always super hsrd and durable. Only a hair tougher and slicker than the Beast i love. By the way it is not a one off i have more grinz :lol: And the Champs of the same age were nearly similar save for a 162 that flips. Your Beasts sound flippier but i make it a point to throw mine with equal nose and rear height. Push the nose down and they will flip no doubt. The beautiful thing about a nose equal throw high with the Beast is that a new disc will not flip with my spin until 400'. A simple shot vs warp speeders demanding a ton of nose down angle.

I will not forgive Innova if they have changed the Beast to flippier grr.

Yeah the Beast is l winged and a surprising one at that. I have played with it in all wind conditions except tornados and unlike other l wings it only needs a few degrees of additional hyzer into moderate headwinds. It is not reliable into storm headwinds. No straight driver is. Yet.

Have you done a shootout with a new pro Boss or Destroyer vs champ? I have and have used both at some time as my dstance drivers. Before AJ signatures. Back then say four to five years ago Pro Destro and Boss were very beefy when new. Destros broke in fairly quickly and became very flippy in half a year whuch is a season here. Boss has enough beef to last longer. In fact my Pro never became flippy before i stopped using it after over a season. Then it took about three months to break a Pro Boss to equal the stability of a new Champ. I had a few examples of both Pros and Champs to compare and used them for two seasons.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 pm

:roll:

Out of the box Champ will be more stable than Pro. After 2 "seasons" Champ will be much more stable than Pro. Disc golfers know this. In case you haven't noticed, Innova also knows this and has recently changed the numbers on most of their drivers in Champ plastic to reflect it. The Boss is one of them, dummy. New numbers for Champ Boss are 13,5,0,3...Pro Boss is still labeled 13,5,-1,3.

Stop wasting space here by foolishly telling people Pro is more stable than Champ. Pure BS, as usual.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I'm going to be dropping my champion beast out of my bag. The last time I played I was noticing that the P-PD and Champion Beast had some overlap. Beast edged it in distance,but I had more control and similar flight with the P-PD. Yeah I think my Champion Beast was a freak :lol:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JTdisc » Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:I'm going to be dropping my champion beast out of my bag. The last time I played I was noticing that the P-PD and Champion Beast had some overlap. Beast edged it in distance,but I had more control and similar flight with the P-PD. Yeah I think my Champion Beast was a freak :lol:

Noooooo. :D

The champ Beast will stay where it is for a good long time, while the P-PD will continually evolve. The two discs should have similar control in the long run, however the Beast should remain at it's current stability for a longer time while the PPD gets more flippy.

I like PDs and Beasts, but once a disc gets beat to the point it overlaps with another, stick with the more durable plastic. Maybe pick up another fresh PPD to start beating in.

Just my opinion of course. You need to do what you're most comfortable with obviously.
Last edited by JTdisc on Fri May 09, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 pm

^^^This man knows his stuff! Take the advice, Uncle.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:28 pm

JTdisc wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:I'm going to be dropping my champion beast out of my bag. The last time I played I was noticing that the P-PD and Champion Beast had some overlap. Beast edged it in distance,but I had more control and similar flight with the P-PD. Yeah I think my Champion Beast was a freak :lol:

Noooooo. :D

The champ Beast will stay where it is for a good long time, while the P-PD will continually evolve. The two discs should have similar control in the long run, however the Beast should remain at it's current stability for a longer time while the PPD gets more flippy.

I like PDs and Beasts, but once a disc gets beat to the point it overlaps with another, stick with the more durable plastic. Maybe pick up another fresh PPD to start beating in.

Just my opinion of course. You need to do what you're most comfortable with obviously.

The nooooooo was funny. :lol:

I have 2 P-PD's right now and i have had thoughts of picking up some more this winter. Maybe 2 or 3.Of the 2 I have now one is a fresher P-PD and the other is a seasoned P-PD which is used for Tunnel Shots and Open Fairway Drives. The Seasoned one flies exactly like my G-star Beast(hell of an S-Shot thrower) when Headwinds are amuck. then the other P-PD flies like my Star Beast in a Headwind. Just a slight turn and then it fades back. Once you figure out the wind with a Beast and a PD man it's a thing of beauty.

Always glad to hear a friendly opinion. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat May 10, 2014 7:12 am

In headwinds i would only use a new P PD if i had to. S PD is better as is a C. PDs are superior to Beasts in headwind handling. Unless broken in too much.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:18 am

JR wrote:In headwinds i would only use a new P PD if i had to. S PD is better as is a C. PDs are superior to Beasts in headwind handling. Unless broken in too much.

That is why I use my PD's for Headwinds and my Beasts for Tailwinds. I love the combo between the 2.

My other flippy P-PD works well in a headwind too,I just have to adjust the Angle on my drive.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun May 11, 2014 3:16 am

I have done the same at one point then i ditched the PD because i could use the Beast into some headwinds and took a beefier disc to handle the bad stuff. Less disc overlap. Depending on the winds and the course that beefier disc can be a S PD. But more often something much beefier. And often i do not carry a beefy disc :D so it is a rare occasion when i carry a PD on local courses. They are more useful on differently shaped holes so i do carry them on other courses.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:47 pm

JR wrote:I have done the same at one point then i ditched the PD because i could use the Beast into some headwinds and took a beefier disc to handle the bad stuff. Less disc overlap. Depending on the winds and the course that beefier disc can be a S PD. But more often something much beefier. And often i do not carry a beefy disc :D so it is a rare occasion when i carry a PD on local courses. They are more useful on differently shaped holes so i do carry them on other courses.

I like carrying them around just because I can tell people I have Beasts and Freaks in my bag. :lol:

that's not really the reason though. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue May 13, 2014 1:03 am

You are a freaky beast then? :D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment