Innova Tern

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Tern

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 am

I like stable champ Mamba's better. They're out there...they have significantly higher PLH. I have 3, handpicked for that reason. They're even stable enough to do long sweeping hyzers, in no or low wind conditions. You don't get the S curve flight with them, like the Tern. They're straighter and more controllable.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:19 am

I picked up an S-Aries from Academy. It's a slightly more stable Mamba in that awesome S plastic. Love it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am

Sounds good. The Aries doesn't seem to have as sharp an edge as the Mamba. Maybe a spacer?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:52 am

BentElbow11 wrote:Sounds good. The Aries doesn't seem to have as sharp an edge as the Mamba. Maybe a spacer?

It does look a bit more blunt.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:40 pm

The Mamba has a very sharp edge, that's what makes it so fast with only a 2.0cm rim width. I noticed the TD2's I've looked at also have a blunter edge than the Mamba.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:The Mamba has a very sharp edge, that's what makes it so fast with only a 2.0cm rim width. I noticed the TD2's I've looked at also have a blunter edge than the Mamba.

I wish I still had my TD2,you had to put a bit more mustard on it to Turn it over,but man was it a good one. Mamba is great too. My buddy got me into throwing one. Seemed like a great fit for my main bag and I was right. :D
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 pm

I have another bag that I mess around with when I get a little too serious with my other bag.

My main distance driver is a Tern. I've said it before but I'll say it again. I have a love/hate relationship with this disc. Love it when it works,hate it when it doesn't. :P

I carry 2 Champions a G-Star and a Star. They all work great and will cover every shot I need even when powered down. Well except for the wooded shots that is.

If you guys haven't tried a G-Star yet you need to try it. If you have around 380ft of power with a Speed 10 disc then you will be getting some killer S-Shots and hyzerflips with G-Star. I love the plastic too.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks for the tips on the Tern in different plastics. I don't like throwing any 'blizzard' or 'air' discs though. Also, I've tried the champ Tern and I think the Renegade owns it. You should try a Lucid Renegade at 170g or below. If you do, make sure you deflash it. That will really open up the glide and take some of the fade out.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:45 am

BentElbow11 wrote:I like stable champ Mamba's better. They're out there...they have significantly higher PLH. I have 3, handpicked for that reason. They're even stable enough to do long sweeping hyzers, in no or low wind conditions. You don't get the S curve flight with them, like the Tern. They're straighter and more controllable.

Be thankful for inconsistent production…Mamba is supposed to have a lower PLH by design, so you got some lucky shots. Sounds like they hit the sweet spot, but may be difficult to find in the long-term.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 am

Agreed. The first Mamba I got was a very early production run when they first came out, with typically low PLH and it was very understable, as advertised. I had trouble controlling it even at 75% power. Then I found one at a store with significantly higher PLH, mixed in with the other Mambas. I managed to get a couple spares, same color and weight, so must have been from the same unusual run. These are slightly pearly, and the champ plastic is softer and more grippy, a little like their new champ stuff.

The stability/flight of these Mambas is closer to a champ Valkyrie than a Sidewinder.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby Stringbean » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm

I feel the same way about the TD2. It flies like a faster Valkryie. I've never had it turnover and not come back.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm

I haven't thrown a TD2, but I've handled a few, and they look more like the Mambas I'm talking about, re PLH.

Very understable Mambas PLH is so low it's almost touching the surface when laying flat. These other Mambas aren't like that, PLH is quite a bit higher. Still an understable disc, but much more workable...hyzer flip to straight, controlled anhyzers, even sweeping hyzers.

I had a Champ Valkyrie in the bag at the time I got these Mambas, and they both flew basically the same, with the Mamba being faster and longer. I dropped the Valkyrie for the Mamba.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Thanks for the tips on the Tern in different plastics. I don't like throwing any 'blizzard' or 'air' discs though. Also, I've tried the champ Tern and I think the Renegade owns it. You should try a Lucid Renegade at 170g or below. If you do, make sure you deflash it. That will really open up the glide and take some of the fade out.

I've always been afraid of doing that to a disc. I just let the trees and rough ground take care of that flashing for me. Takes a bit longer,but at least I don't flub up a disc which knowing my luck would happen lol.

Heard good things about the Renegade,but I really like my Terns. When I'm on, I'm on with a Tern. I can hit them over 400 feet everytime when i'm feeling good or power them down with my climo grip. Very good disc once gotten use to or when I feel good. :P

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 pm

What I do is very gently rub the disc in a circular motion on a fairly smooth concrete surface, pressing down lightly and only removing the flash so it's smooth. You could also use fine grade sandpaper.

I liked the champ Tern, but it's an "S" curve driver. The Renegade is straighter and more controllable, IMO. Oh, and just as long! It also has a narrower rim, 2.1cm vs 2.3cm.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:18 am

UncleBrother2001 wrote:I carry 2 Champions a G-Star and a Star. They all work great and will cover every shot I need even when powered down. Well except for the wooded shots that is.

Haha, me too.

I also own 3 Renegades. They are not used any more.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment