Looking for a high-speed driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Looking for a high-speed driver

Postby Flipflat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I throw a Blizz Boss, it's stableness (overstableness?) corrects for my crappy form which shows up when I throw really light discs hard. It's a 143g. I love it, and get some great distance out of it with reliable fade.

A buddy of mine was throwing a Mill Astra, and he's got an average arm, seemed to work well for him, the M plastic is a little on the weak side though.

Nuke in Z is also good, esp is nice if you want it to beat in to a flippy driver quick.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby bsnone1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:13 pm

FWIW, and I've cut them all out of my bag for now, I can throw a blizzard Katana further than just about anything in a nice S curve, next in line would be the nukeSS. I have friends who swear by blizzard kraits but they picked em up after I had powered myself down to fairway drivers only... Good luck!
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:I'm not up on all the high-speed stuff; it's too fast for me so I have not been throwing it. Everybody else is, though. So screw it, I'm joining the circus. I just have to pick out the disc I can't throw that I'm going to carry around.

Welcome to the 21st century. Late is better than never.

Don't buy a bunch of stuff. Try a bunch of stuff. Once you know what shows the best promise then buy a bunch of stuff.

Unless you live in isolation there are lots of players who have lots of high speed drivers. Borrow some for a try out.

It took me a year of practicing with wide rimmed drivers before I figured them out and made them part of my tournament bag. Now a Nuke is my primary driver. Here is what worked for me. I need to throw a Nuke with precision, especially the nose angle on release. If the nose angle is off the disc is still going to fly far and fast but not accurately. So throw flat, smooth, balanced and clean-just like you should do with any other driver.

A high speed driver does not hide form issues, it accentuates errors. So just like an understable disc, it will teach you clean form which is a benefit to your overall game. Don't just carry it around. Use it. Practice it. Learn it. Then win with it.
The nose angle thing is what got me off the bandwagon. I was really big into the Inferno when it came out because sometimes I could throw it for a mile. Most of the time it cost me strokes, but sometimes it went for a mile. I ended up dumping it to play “smart golf.” I never stay smart for very long, though.

We are pretty isolated here. We only have a handful of guys; maybe 20. A lot of them are looking in my bag for something to throw.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm

dgdave wrote:If you want fast, go cannon or rampage. They are maxed out on the tech standards for wing and nose. But, if I were you, Blizzard Boss
I actually have some R-Pro Boss and Blizzard Boss around. I might toss those in the mix and see what happens.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

PMantle wrote:Two in that category that are easy to throw for me are the Pro Destroyer and Ch Archon. Ignore the numbers on the Destro. They are not that over stable. Loving my newer blizz Destro too. The one Wraith I had was very stable for me , but was beating in nicely when I lost it.
I've actually got Blizzard Destroyers in the bag. They are cool for what they are, but I'm not getting them to flip for big D. They are really nice for that shot at my local course where the right side of the fairway is a lake, though.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby eky8 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 pm

I actually don't throw these either. With my small hands I just have a hard time getting a good grip on those wide rims. However I can tell you what the people who throw understable high speed drivers with success at the local course like. Pro katanas, gold line bolts, and star vulcans.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Previous

Return to Equipment