How necessary is an overstable mid?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How necessary is an overstable mid?

Postby coogs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:58 pm

I've got a gift certificate that I'm trying to use, so I'm taking a look at things that I normally might not get.

I've been looking at Drones and Hornets to fill what is an empty spot in my bag. But how necessary is it? I can make my Buzzz stay on most any line I put it on (considering form stays correct), so I'm not sure if this is something I should even try. It doesn't even need to be a Drone or Hornet, just curious about this specific kind of disc.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Re: How necessary is an overstable mid?

Postby discspeed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I don't think that most people need anything more than an overstable version (or a disc similar to) their workhorse mid. This should then be supplemented with a slow and overstable fairway driver (which are faster and glide less, both positives in the wind).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm not a fan of really overstable mids. The Pain/Vector/Sentinel/Wasp group is about as overstable as I need out of a mid. I have a Champ Banshee for actual wind and meathook shots. Basically, everything discspeed said.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby andrew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:53 pm

It's fairly difficult to curve a Buzzz into a C shape (because it wants to hold a line) and into heavy headwinds it is impossible. That's the reason for overstable mids. You can power down a fast disc for tight curves in no wind but that'll give you skips. The Whippet is borderline between mid and fairway and only available in DX so will beat in before you figure it out if you're playing wooded courses.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby discspeed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 pm

I agree that something more overstable than a Buzzz is good, but assuming good form you should be able to get something like an overstable roc/wasp/vector/pain/etc, which all are more versatile across conditions than the most overstable mids.

Disclaimer(i started a thread like this on the other site that got quite heated): if you throw overstable mids and like them by all means continue as my approval should mean nothing to you.
discspeed

Postby PMantle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Great timing. I just bought my first Viper and Banshee today. I already carry a couple of sentinels, but looking for other options on two very hard left turn holes though the woods.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:10 pm

When there's real wind, I'll use an EXP1, so you should like your banshee as it's pretty much the same disc. When it's just kind of windy I've been trying a hornet, but I'll probably go back to what discspeed recommended, a mildly overstable fairway driver.

I don't so much have issues with getting fade into the wind, I have big issues with wind getting under a mid of any stability and bouncing it around. Drivers are faster and prevent this.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:02 pm

The zone/firebird is my overstable pair. I find they compliment each other well distance wise and fly mostly the same.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby discspeed » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 am

That's another better option than a really overstable mid that I forgot to mention...some slow and overstable putter-type(zone, pig, Sinus, Jokeri, etc) disc since they have less glide and sit down better than the really overstable mids.
discspeed

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 am

coogs wrote:I've got a gift certificate that I'm trying to use, so I'm taking a look at things that I normally might not get.

I've been looking at Drones and Hornets to fill what is an empty spot in my bag. But how necessary is it? I can make my Buzzz stay on most any line I put it on (considering form stays correct), so I'm not sure if this is something I should even try. It doesn't even need to be a Drone or Hornet, just curious about this specific kind of disc.

You never know when you might get very strong winds. In my car I carry at least one very overstable putter, mid and driver. These discs STAY in my car until the big winds come out.

I too am a Buzzz guy, so when I need to disc up in an overstable midrange I will go to a Wasp or a Zone as both are flat like a Buzzz. Both the Drone and Hornet are more domey. For me the Wasp is a bump up in stability from a Buzzz but a Zone is even stronger. There was a run of Z Zones which I like a lot.

There is a big difference between the needs of casual players and tournament players when it comes to learning severe weather. Casual players can be fair weather golfers. If the wind or weather is obnoxious just put off playing for that day. Tournament players need to be severe weather golfers if they hope to be successful. Tournaments are based on the calendar, not the weather. So if the morning of a tournament the weather is terrible we are still going out in it.

I know there a lot of tournament players who avoid bad weather and will go so far as to not play in winter or cancel out of tournaments if the weather report looks bad. The problem is that weather reports are voodoo science and bad weather can spring up unexpectedly. Those who do not play in bad weather often do not have the right clothes or discs for bad weather so for them it is a double whammy.

The only way to learn how to play in wind is to play in wind. Whatever you learned in calm air does not prepare you for strong winds. The only way to learn how an overstable disc flies in wind is to go out when it is windy and practice with it. So when strong winds come out I take those little used overstable discs out of my car and try to learn them. Bad weather should be viewed as a rare opportunity to practice in conditions you can seldom experience.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby PMantle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:52 am

I'll eventually add a Zone.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby CatPredator » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm

A short meat hook is nice to have. Aside from their wind fighting ability, they're good for flex shots and the hard fade wraps around obstacles at different angles than more neutral discs on hyzers. I throw quite a few short forehands, and a variety of other shots, with a Drone and consider it to be a fairly important part of my recovery and approach game. It's not the most vital disc in my bag, but there are certainly times where I'd miss it if it wasn't there.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby aerodriver » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 pm

I have a single Vibram Obex I use as a driving mid/overstable mid. If it's a 250ft hole veering slightly left, I know I can put it down the fairway and have it land near the basket.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Postby Flipflat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:19 pm

X2 on the zone, esp is where it's at, takes a beating like a champ. I use it more as a mid than a putter, perfect for utility and wind shots.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Pwingles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:55 am

Meh, to each his own. They are probably the most useless and detrimental disc in most peoples bags.
That said, i carry a zone, and i own a drone, similar to Mark, it stays in the car 99% of the time. Might get used 3x a year. I could get by with my fwy driver in most cases if i needed to. But occasionally the grip ofthe flx is where its at.

Imo more people use them as a crutch for their terrible OAT and theyre unable to succesfully utilize other midrange discs. That is why i called them detrimental above
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Next

Return to Equipment