How necessary is an overstable mid?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: How necessary is an overstable mid?

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am

I onlu have oat issues with forehand, so I guess I just don't understand.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Pwingles wrote:Meh, to each his own. They are probably the most useless and detrimental disc in most peoples bags.
That said, i carry a zone, and i own a drone, similar to Mark, it stays in the car 99% of the time. Might get used 3x a year. I could get by with my fwy driver in most cases if i needed to. But occasionally the grip ofthe flx is where its at.

Imo more people use them as a crutch for their terrible OAT and theyre unable to succesfully utilize other midrange discs. That is why i called them detrimental above

150ft big left turn, 20mph headwind, what do you throw?
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Miracle, of course.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pwingles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Thats a very general situation. It would depend on distance to the turn, distance needed to go past the turn, my ceiling, can i throw a skip, how bad do i get punished if i am short/long, lots of variables. But the jist of what youre trying to describe to me is a situation that you would absolutely need a drone for because you are comfortable with that shot inthat spot.

I could throw several discs and shots there (unless you wanna get more specific about the lie) with a handful of different discs. Knee jerk reaction would be zone if i didnt have a ceiling to worry about (which is similar to what youd likely use a drone for), or if there was a ceiling issue, or a good possibility i can skip it i would throw a FB/OS fairway. Even with the wind a fh roller can be thrown there, as it cut the wind would help it around tho its prolly not the best choice.

The question you should be asking yourself is why are YOU limited on what to throw there?

*u mad Pmantle? You seem offended.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby andrew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Perhaps the best response to this thread is to quote Patches O'Houlihan from Dodgeball.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Mad? :lol: What made you think that?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I use a z-xtreme for shots that my vector can't cover.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Pwingles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 pm

PMantle wrote:Mad? :lol: What made you think that?

I guess your butthurt was imaginary
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Pwingles wrote:
PMantle wrote:Mad? :lol: What made you think that?

I guess your butthurt was imaginary

Must have been.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 am

Mids are good for limiting how far you throw like a spike hyzer for short above obstacles throws. Also s-curves around obstacles but bot going far like a driver s-curves would. Because s-cruves are distance lines and most drivers pick up distance by a lot and for shorter distances they are hopelessly too long and putters cannot reach everything. Most putters that are overstable are mostly short for putters except Prodiscus Jokeri and that is rare in the bags of disc golfers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Parks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 am

I have a Champ Gator in my bag, and it gets a lot of use. Its really hard to throw a short S curve with most putters and mids, and its tough to finesse an overstable driver if you just want lots of fade/skip instead of TONS of fade/skip. Also, mids are just more comfortable in my hand, so even though I could throw that big hyzer with an overstable driver, I'd rather do it with the Gator if its in range.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Varsi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:57 am

I purchased a couple of Opto Pains to complement Warships. Will still need to test if they make enough difference compared to Premium Jokeris.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 am

Pwingles wrote:Thats a very general situation. It would depend on distance to the turn, distance needed to go past the turn, my ceiling, can i throw a skip, how bad do i get punished if i am short/long, lots of variables. But the jist of what youre trying to describe to me is a situation that you would absolutely need a drone for because you are comfortable with that shot inthat spot.

I could throw several discs and shots there (unless you wanna get more specific about the lie) with a handful of different discs. Knee jerk reaction would be zone if i didnt have a ceiling to worry about (which is similar to what youd likely use a drone for), or if there was a ceiling issue, or a good possibility i can skip it i would throw a FB/OS fairway. Even with the wind a fh roller can be thrown there, as it cut the wind would help it around tho its prolly not the best choice.

The question you should be asking yourself is why are YOU limited on what to throw there?

*u mad Pmantle? You seem offended.

I am not limited at all. I would be throwing either a Zone, Wasp, or Firebird pending everything you said as well. I was genuinely interested in what you would use. Assuming it is 100 straight and 90° left for 50ft, either a Zone in the air, or a Firebird on a skip. If it's more like 125ft with a left finish, probably a Wasp.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment