Innova different stamp = different mold?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova different stamp = different mold?

Postby Itchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am

I have some older star TLs and FLs that don't have the flight number stamped on them and some newer TLs and FLs that do. The newer ones with the flight numbers seem to be more stable (less understable?) and harder to turn over than the older ones. Are these different molds (spacers?) or are my older ones just more beat in? I like the flight of the older ones, but they're about dead. Just thought I'd ask so I can start hunting down the old ones, if I have to.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Innova different stamp = different mold?

Postby andrew » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 am

Seriously? Discs get more understable as they beat in. Whether or not the flight numbers are stamped on the disc probably just tells you which stamp they decided to use that day. I know, for example, they have at least two different stamps they use on the current Champion Teebirds, one has flight numbers, one doesn't. They are the exact same disc.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: Innova different stamp = different mold?

Postby JHern » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 am

No 2 batches of discs ever comes out the same, even with the exact same mold. They have no control on plastic properties like shrinkage that determines how much the wing droops (which in turn determines PLH) upon cooling.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Equipment