Troubling Flick

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Troubling Flick

Postby Trent2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:49 am

So I bought a Discraft Flick about 6 months ago to replace my Groove. I had found that I was beginning to overpower the Groove and a player I met one the course on day recommended a Flick to me. The problem I am having now is that I think I'm starting to overpower the Flick also.

Background info first: I always use right hand forehand for my long distance drives. My problem is that I can get medium to medium-long drives in no to low wind conditions. But for a long range drive or with any headwind, my throws are turning over on me and cutting left just a little too much to be useful on anything but a completely open field. Under good conditions on a driving range, I can typically get 400' plus. But as I said, that's after a dramatically long and sweeping left hand curve with a fade back to the center.

I'm hoping for some advice on maybe something a little more stable so I can use max power without the disc turning over on me. Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.
Trent2011
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Re: Troubling Flick

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 am

Honestly it sounds more like a form problem when you start trying to power up for longer shots than an actual disc problem. My longest FH throws are when I'm throwing smooth and steady. When the Flick gets turned over, is there any flutter in it coming off your hand?

If its not a form problem, is it only one Flick that you have? If so it could be that the Flick is getting broken in to be less stable and you just need a new one.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby allsport1313 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:41 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:Honestly it sounds more like a form problem when you start trying to power up for longer shots than an actual disc problem.

Sounds like form.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby Trent2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

No, it comes out almost perfectly steady. I did think it was a problem with a worn disc, but I bought a brand new one last week (lost the original :( ) and I am still having the same problem. If I drop the wing to a slight hyzer on my long drives, it will slowly turn to straight before finishing left. Which is perfectly fine on a 300-400- foot drive. But if I'm on a really long hole looking for max distance, dropping into the hyzer causes a loss in power.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

If you're actually putting that much power into one I don't know that there's going to be much more stable long range discs available. Most of the time when I see guys like Big Jerm throw distance forehands they wind up always having to release them on a hyzer angle and let them flip just because of how much turn a strong FH puts on a disc.

I think a lot of people consider the Nuke to be one of the longest discs out there in general and I think Big Jerm used them as his distance disc so you might could try one of them, but I don't think you'll be able to throw one of them full power without some initial hyzer on it either. And they do make a Nuke OS but I don't think the OS version will be much different than your Flick in distance.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Trent2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm

The Nuke/Nuke OS was what I was looking at. Currently, even throwing with hyzer on a Boss at full power, it will almost always turn on me and finish on a hard left. I know that the actual rotational speed of the disc has a lot to do with it's mid flight stability. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people I see throwing side arm don't really "flick" the disc quite as much as I do on power shots. If I try to flick it less, I do get extremely bad releases that wobble like crazy.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Trent2011 wrote: I think I'm starting to overpower the Flick also.

Mother of God
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Trent2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 pm

PMantle wrote:

Mother of God

I'm a former third baseman and I put a hell of a lot of spin on my max power shots. :(
Trent2011
Noob

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Trent2011 wrote:
PMantle wrote:

Mother of God

I'm a former third baseman and I put a hell of a lot of spin on my max power shots. :(

Spin should help, no?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Trent2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm

More spin means the disc is going to turn more to an anhyzer shot. That's the problem I'm having. I put so much spin that even a flick will turn from a hyzer throw into an anhyzer throw if I put max power behind it. I'm trying to find a disc that is even more over-stable than my flick.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:11 pm

I think spin actually stabilizes it, most people don't realize they get far more speed FH and more spin BH. We just think its the other way around.

This is if I remember it correctly, I thought the same as you but someone here corrected me on that.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Trent2011 wrote:More spin means the disc is going to turn more to an anhyzer shot. That's the problem I'm having. I put so much spin that even a flick will turn from a hyzer throw into an anhyzer throw if I put max power behind it. I'm trying to find a disc that is even more over-stable than my flick.

I don't think that's right, but as far as discs are concerned, try
Gateway Blast DT or Spirit
Quest Scorcher
Innova Max

None of which could I throw over 200'.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kern9787 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm

More spin = slower turn and slower fade.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Trent2011 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:41 pm

PMantle wrote:
Trent2011 wrote:More spin means the disc is going to turn more to an anhyzer shot. That's the problem I'm having. I put so much spin that even a flick will turn from a hyzer throw into an anhyzer throw if I put max power behind it. I'm trying to find a disc that is even more over-stable than my flick.

I don't think that's right, but as far as discs are concerned, try
Gateway Blast DT or Spirit
Quest Scorcher
Innova Max

None of which could I throw over 200'.

Hmm, I'll look into them. The Max is probably the easiest for me to judge without throwing just based on their ratings and being the brand I have almost all my experience with. Really what this thread boils down to is I'm just looking for something more stable than my Flick.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Trent2011 wrote: Really what this thread boils down to is I'm just looking for something more stable than my Flick.

Tough order. I consider that disc too overstable for any purpose whatsoever.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment