Is there anything that can match the Valk pound for pound?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Is there anything that can match the Valk pound for pound?

Postby Jank » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 pm

I love the Valk. I typically throw 300-325 cause I haven't gotten my technique down yet but I'm working on it. I can turn over a beat in DX easily and I can get a nice S curve from a new DX. A star valk is slightly understable depending on the weight.

What are my options if I want to try and fall in love with something new? Is there another disc out there that can hang pound for pound with a Valk? If so which disc is it?

Here is what I gather from my research?

Latitude 64 Saint (perhaps the same speed as a Valk but more overstable?)
Latitude 64 River (too understable and slow?)

Vibram Trak (less speed but same flight characteristics)

Westside stag

Millenium JLS or slightly higher speed OLS

Gateway assassin ?

Discraft Wildcat

If you had 2 choices from the above (or something else I didn't consider) to replace the valk, which two would you consider? Is there anything I'm leaving out?

Thanks for your help.
Jank
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valk

Re: Is there anything that can match the Valk pound for poun

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:17 am

I really like the Wildcat. Pretty long for its rim. I've moved on to faster stuff, but keep it in bag for certain shots. Beats in to fairly under stable without becoming a roller for me.

I would try Beast/Orc at 10 or Archon at 11. OLS is not going to be a lot different fom your Valk.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:45 am

ORION LF

more stable, but once you figure it out, you won't throw Valks anymore

That is what happened to me
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 am

zj1002 wrote:ORION LF

more stable, but once you figure it out, you won't throw Valks anymore

That is what happened to me

This ^^

If you want the more valk-like, or slightly less stable, version, go Orion LS.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 am

Recommending OLFs and OLSs are just more of the same as the Valk with different stabilities.

I can turn over a beat in DX easily and I can get a nice S curve from a new DX.

OLF is going to be pretty darned overstable, and shorter than the Valk at that power.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 am

PMantle wrote:Recommending OLFs and OLSs are just more of the same as the Valk with different stabilities.

OLF is going to be pretty darned overstable, and shorter than the Valk at that power.

well when he asks for a Valk replacement...not a longer valk...thats what I did

The MOLF is basically a valkyrie, but more workable. Capable of going straight, left, right, flip, turnover, roller. whatever you can dream. It seasons better than even a star valkyrie, which only wants to flip straight or over.

The OLS will start out less stable than a valkyrie, and will not hang pound for pound with a Valkyrie.

The MOLF will not be shorter than a valkyrie at any power level. Same with the SOLF. The only one that acts more stable for lower power is the QOLF
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am

zj1002 wrote:
PMantle wrote:Recommending OLFs and OLSs are just more of the same as the Valk with different stabilities.

The MOLF is basically a valkyrie, but more workable. Capable of going straight, left, right, flip, turnover, roller. whatever you can dream. It seasons better than even a star valkyrie, which only wants to flip straight or over.

The OLS will start out less stable than a valkyrie, and will not hang pound for pound with a Valkyrie.

The MOLF will not be shorter than a valkyrie at any power level. Same with the SOLF. The only one that acts more stable for lower power is the QOLF

Well, you and I attacked the issue with different assumptions. I did not see him having issues with the Valk. Also, every OLF I've thrown has been shorter than every valk I've thrown due to them being really overstable in my hands.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 am

Beast is a modified Valk that goes farther than Valks and Orions. Considering your power i'd take a mid 160s Pro for straighter shots and if you're in a hurry to get an understable one a DX breaks in quick just like DX Valks. Super quick that is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Beast is a different shape from a valk. No?
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby money 21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm

I will throw out the avenger. Not to replace the valks but to compliment them. They come in many plastics and will cover the stable/over stable area that the valks don't. If you have a mold that you love, unless it goes oop, then don't replace it find things to compliment it.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jank » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11 pm

This is great feedback guys. I ordered a bunch of discs to try today from gottagogottathrow. Got a Saint, River, Wildcat, MOLS, MOLF, and a couple DX Valks for water holes.
Jank
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valk

Postby bsnone1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm excited for you - I've gone through nearly this exact same order that you just made over the past 2-3 months. I have multiples of some of the molds you mentioned above, and I ended up trading off several that didn't work for me as well.

For me, I ended up going with 5 different Orions in my bag: 1 beat MOLS for super easy turnovers, 1 new MOLS for max distance and tailwinds, 1 SOLS as a workhorse, 1 MOLF for versatility and 1 SOLF for more stability. My arm is pretty close to yours and I can get the MOLS out to ~325, 340 if I really get behind it). I ended up abandoning the valks entirely in my bag but I will still bring them out to the field from time to time.

A few other molds to maybe try down the road would be the Dynamic Discs Escape, Innova's Orc and Beast and any of the MVP fairway drivers. For something a little slower, perhaps try the Discraft Cyclone, XL and XS. Good luck and have fun with your new molds!
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Since people are recommending the MOLF here, wouldn't the P-PD also work? The S-PD and the SOLF are very similar, and the only MOLF I threw flew just about identically with the P-PD I have that's made out of the same blend of Pro plastic.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm

PMantle wrote:
zj1002 wrote:

Well, you and I attacked the issue with different assumptions. I did not see him having issues with the Valk. Also, every OLF I've thrown has been shorter than every valk I've thrown due to them being really overstable in my hands.

Jank already bought his drivers (nice assortment, have fun! Those are all some quality molds, I hope you find one or two that you really mesh with and have a great time throwing!), but since my progression of drivers went from Valks to Orions, I have to chime in here with a slightly different perspective.

First, Orions are excellent Valk replacements, that's why they've been in my bag since they replaced my Valks about 5 or so years ago.

Orions (LF and LS) are not shorter than Valks. They were equal or a tad farther when I was throwing with 300' of power, they are also equal or a tad longer now that I am closer to 400' of power. In flight lists distances as Valk - 375', Orions (LF and LS) - 379'. This is very consistent with what I've found in years of throwing them.

LFs are not overstable. Not even at 300' of power. Yes, they fade at that power range, but thrown flat, they stay flat (and MOLF will track right, beat SOLF will too) a long way and then fade a bit, not a ton. Joe's lists the LF at -.5 with a needed power of 325' -375' to get that early turn. In flight lists it at -17%. Hardly overstable numbers by any stretch. Pmantle, per your other posts, you are throwing with that power, so the LF shouldn't be anywhere close to overstable for you.

LSs are not less stable than a Valk, they are more stable with less turn. In flight lists -32% to the Valks -40%. Joe's puts the Valk at -2 to the LSs -1.5.

The question was "What are my options if I want to try and fall in love with something new? Is there another disc out there that can hang pound for pound with a Valk? If so which disc is it?"

IMO, the answer to that question is one or both of the Orion's. Not trying to pick a fight, but I've thrown these drivers for a long time. The Orions, again IMO, are the single best pair of primary drivers out there. I've been throwing them since they were released. I've given an honest try to almost every similar driver to come out since. Very few even come close for me.
Last edited by discmonkey42 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 pm

jubuttib wrote:Since people are recommending the MOLF here, wouldn't the P-PD also work? The S-PD and the SOLF are very similar, and the only MOLF I threw flew just about identically with the P-PD I have that's made out of the same blend of Pro plastic.

Yes sir! The PD came the closest of any driver to kicking the SOLF out of my bag.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment