Is there anything that can match the Valk pound for pound?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Is there anything that can match the Valk pound for poun

Postby JR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks my blue gummy Patriot i cannot recall the plastic right now flips like 15 or more degrees for a straight flight. I have not detected any non uniformness in the shape so it is not warped in one place. Maybe it was molded with a hot machine on a hot day and the PLH dropped too much prior to settling in to current form. I think given your description it would benefit from tuning. No idea about the domes either but i picked a medium PLH from the ones on offer. What happens to the HSS and LSS of this disc with dome height variations? Is the disc more overstable with a tall or a low dome? Mine has some dome. It is not a sleek thin disc by any means and not a total bubble either but closer to latter compared to all drivers and Champ Leo.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:34 am

JR wrote:Thanks my blue gummy Patriot i cannot recall the plastic right now flips like 15 or more degrees for a straight flight...

Here is a quick summary I copied over from Legacy Discs Collector's FB page, with several contributors...

-Domey Blue Icon: These have been the easiest for me to flip and work lines. It will hold a solid turnover Gently and consistently. Least stable of what i have thrown.

-Flat Top White Icon: Slightly more stable & Faster ... Will Hold a line a lot longer than the blues but still want to turn over and fade.

-Gold Sparkle: These will flip up and barley turn over for a long straight Flight path ..And for w.e reason ..they penetrate the lines deeper ..with more distance then the other runs .. excellent distance off the teepad

-The silver sparkle Patriots I've thrown are more under-stable than the gold sparkles.

-White/clear Pinnacle: The most stable of the 4 Runs I've thrown. these will take a lot more power off the teepad without turning over. They even corrected a few bad shots i had ,working against my of Axis Torque by fighting to get back on line .. i see this disc getting used a lot in the future for long Straight (Dependable) lines . It did have more fade at the end then my Golds tho.

-Yellow Icon Patriot that is very Pinnacle-like (also firm and flat) and is more stable than any others I've thrown.

-My Legend Patriot is my go to disc just about anything. Long control drives, turn over, big "S". You name it, the disc can do it. Flies straight with a little turn over and a bit more fade.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks that a great write up and corresponds with the blue Icon i have. I think it is an Icon 175 because that is the only plastic it is sold in my local shop. It is rising steeply from the outer edge but the center is flat and the center is significantly lower than with a Roadrunner i compared it with since it was handy.

I wonder what the white Icon shape differences are vs blues... Maybe i am gonna hop over to the shop and see if they have any. IIRC they only had blues when i bought mine. Guessing from that flatter Patriots are straighter than blues and if normal rules apply a higher PLH means the same too so perhaps tuning a blue Icon PLH up might be enough to make it usable. OTOH it still would slow down faster than flatter discs. To hot water or not to hot water upside down with weight on top that is the question. Or just tune the PLH up... Or not. Decisions decisions.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment