What disc is right for me?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What disc is right for me?

Postby Jeff Jeffery » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Looking for brand, model, weight and possibly plastic type. I have a starfire, nuke, and crush. I got the most distance out of my nuke but don't think I'm throwing it with the best form. I like my crush the most. I like the predictable flight pattern but cant throw it as far as I would like. I max out at about 100 yards or 300 feet. I would like to increase my distance. I normally throw (RHBH) with no tilt on the disc (no hyzer or anhyzer). It comes out flat and stays flat and straight until the end of the flight where it hooks left. I like the try play more conservative but consistent. Some of my friends get these 350'-375' throws but they have huge sweeping S curve flights that end up all over the place. They cant place it near the basket but can throw a lot farther than I can. Is there a disc that would improve my distance and maintain a similar consistency. Or do I have to get an understable or stable disc and throw with a tilt to get more distance. I think my discs now are 172-174g. Is that to much for as far as I'm throwing or would I get more distance out of a lighter disc. Another thing probably worth mentioning is I love the wide rim that my nuke has. I prefer the feel over my crush and starfire which have much thinner rims. I also throw sidearm if it is better for the hole (if I need the disc to fade right). I like the crush and the starfire isn't to bad, but I wont throw the nuke sidearm. So a disc that is good with sidearm would be good to but not needed. I was thinking of getting a Nuke OS as heavy as I can get (might be a really bad idea, but that is why I'm asking for advice), or a Boss (also as heavy as I can get). I also saw somewhere that you can get discs a lot cheaper if you get a X stamped or double stamped disc, I heard they have minor imperfections. Where would be a good place to get one of those, I'm not good enough to care about stuff like that, I just want discs as cheap as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Jeffery
Noob

Favorite Disc: Crush

Re: What disc is right for me?

Postby PMantle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Nuke OS? Yes, terrible idea. At 300 feet max, you really should not carry any of those discs. Just a few suggestions:

Dx Beast
Dx Valk
Champion Sidewinder
Northman
Surge SS
Wildcat/Flash
Star FL
Dx Teebird
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Stringbean » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Just about all of the online retailers sell x-out discs. You could also search the buy/sell forums for the discs you are looking for. People are often selling new discs at low prices. eBay is an option. I bought a brand new DX Orc for $2.75 shipped along with a new Star Roadrunner for $9 shipped.

Learn to hyzer flip an understable disc for easy straight distance. A DX Leopard is a good starting point for this.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Welcome. A Champ Leo stays like new for years so in the long term it saves money if you don't lose it and DX Leo wears to flippy soon. Leo is the least fading driver so it is easy to throw straight and anny at your power gaining good control at least if you don't have a lot of wind to contend with. Light discs go farther and 150 Star Teebird is controllable takes winds better than max weight Champ Leos (Star Leos fade more, are shorter and are still less wind handling despite being better than Champ Leos). Beast is in between in the wing width and is deceptively long given the wing width. Learning to throw better sidearms with the current discs is a good plan for the long term. The Crush is a fine sidearm disc and the Nuke too. At least if it is not a flippy one. Flat low drooping outer edged Nukes are flippy, domey high outer edged ones aren't. You can gain more distance with s-curves and they can be controllable with discs that are not too power hungry and that have good stability for your speed/spin combo. What is good stability is partially preference and partially dictated by the winds you face. In calm conditions discs that flip for you are easy to curve but for winds it would be better to throw a straight to mildly overstable disc anhyzered.

Posting a video of your throws would help in seeing what you could change to gain more power. The more power you have the longer the discs are that you can master so you could get a double benefit distance wise.

So at this point it is difficult to suggest a specific disc unless it has growth potential and can stay useful later in the career with added power. Leo, Teebird and Beast all are classics partially because they are good even at more power and for other reasons. The Beast may be too much in Pro but it will be useful in mid 160s even when you throw beyond 400'.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:33 am

JR wrote:Welcome. A Champ Leo stays like new for years so in the long term it saves money if you don't lose it and DX Leo wears to flippy soon.

My Ch. Leo sees almost nothing but wooded holes. I am still amazed how much stability it had after that kind of duty. So much different than the lighter Dx I started with. Was dissapointed at first in the not turning over part, but then realized how good it could be on those holes where dead straight and lowish is required. Love the feel of that speed disc too. I feel like I can hit an initial line better with that kind of wing than a mid. For now, anyway.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:55 am

Z Stalker is more power hungry and more HSS and LSS at 390' power but at 410'+ it is straighter than C Leo in the end on low lines and harder fading on high lines so for windier days the Stalker is superior. Oddly enough on low line drives the lessening fade of the Stalker made it as long as the Leo when at 390' with warp speeders it was shorter. So even if the Leo is more up your alley and better suited to the rest of the bag the Stalker is more reliable on windy days if you can take the added fade. I'm not sure that there are many as long as little fading as wind handling discs as the Stalker. I will test it out on local courses more because as of now it seems i'll bag it again. The Leo pushed it out and the closeness of the Buzz but with added power the Champ Leo got more s-curving and Star Leo is pretty much the same except a hair more LSS than the Stalker and shorter but less wind handling so for insurance against user error and wind changes the Stalker wins. Besides it comes in a more HSS and LSS flavor in the Glo as well for even windier conditions. No brainer for me as long as i can get good results on the courses as well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment