Zone, Pig, Jokeri, Sinus?...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Zone, Pig, Jokeri, Sinus?...

Postby inthedrift » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 am

I carried a Pig for a while until it found the creek at one of our local courses and never replaced it, preferring to limit the number of molds in my bag. There are times when I feel like I'd be better served by a more overstable P & A disc than my array of Wizards. I liked the Pig, but I wonder if another mold might be more suitable. I have no plans to replace the Wiz as my primary putting/throwing mold, so I'd like the overstable complement to be just that. I haven't thrown a Zone, Sinus, or Jokeri at all although I have handled each of them at one point. I'm looking for input regarding the relative stabilities of each of these molds compared to my Wizards. At this point I'm leaning toward the Zone as I'm assuming it's the most overstable and would not overlap with my Wizards at all...thoughts?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Re: Zone, Pig, Jokeri, Sinus?...

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:12 am

Jokeri is the least likely to leave a hole in between itself and the Wizards but also the most likely to not curve hard. Sinus is the flattest and thinnest and is a good middle ground version not being overly overstable or too straight at least when broken in. The Zone skips like hell and curves super fast in ESP possibly leaving a gap between the Wizards and itself. D Zone doesn't last in the rocks but around them might break into a pretty nice middle ground among seriously overstable putters. Shape wise the Sinus and the Zone FH best if you don't have huge hands. For them Jokeri is middle sized and the Pig a manly disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:19 am

I haven't played with the Sinus, but I did go back an forth between the zone and Jokeri.

Jokeri can be thrown as hard as you want and it won't flip, it will just go straight with a hard fade at the end of its flight. I liked it for tight wooded shots that needed some good fade at the end. Can throw it with confidence on this line at any power level.

Zone goes left at all speeds. This is the one I kept in the bag as it was more the utility disc I was looking for. Better for short s curves, flicks, skips, spikes. It fades harder, more, and sooner than the Jokeri.

I can throw both about the same distance.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Varsi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 am

You can beat the fade out of basic a Jokeri so after a while it won't be such a meathook. It will also start turning on hard throws but that comes later. Premium Jokeri can be quite fun on high hyzers, it doesn't come down as fast as you'd expect from an overstable putter.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby itlnstln » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:04 am

Classic Roc in Star or (even better) Champion is my favorite. Overstable but a touch faster than a Wizard. I have small hands so I like the low profile. I have a stack of Champion Classic Rocs that I will use until I die. The Champs are nicer, IMO, because they have a flat top. The Star and DX Classic Rocs are domey, and I feel they have too much glide. You can gun it and it won't turn, and it has a solid, predictable fade.

The only problem with Champion Classic Rocs is that they aren't made very often; you'd have to find them as a CFR. Mark at DGV hooked me up several years ago.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby money 21 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm

the dga breaker is what i use.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 pm

The Breaker and the Ringer are very similar/the same and nice falling in between the Jokeri and the Sinus in being longer and straighter than the Zone. The Ringer breaks in fast i hope that the first flight Breaker lasts longer. Really with practice almost anything but the Pig and the one can be used for most lines and those two are easiest in storms and utility silly overstable flights with possible hole in between the Wizards so i'd look for nice grip shape and slickness wise plus availability. They are perfectly fine and worthy useful discs that can help you out of bad spots and especially the Jokeri can be very useful regular putter if complimented with a straighter putter like a broken in Basic Jokeri. Then it might be enough to replace even the Wizards.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby vto » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 pm

When I was thinking about something closer to the feel of my Pures but overstable, I considered Zone, Sinus and Jokeri. I felt that Zone and Jokeri are a bit too fast for what I wanted, and the Sinus felt slower and less skippy, but the durability of the Sinus plastics was a bit of a worry, as it doesn't come in premium. I decided to give the Sinus AP a test to see how fast it wears, and after a few months even if it does get dinged pretty easily, it's still very overstable. If it lasts the whole summer without losing the overstability, I'll be happy and declare it a permanent fixture in my bag.
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby JR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 am

It took me a season to make it even a little less early and harshly fading. Even when throwing around rocks.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby mejlholm » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Wizard thrower here. I've recently thrown in an EVO wizard that is a bit more overstable than the usual S plastic.

I can't really justify carrying around another putter mold for the overstable stuff. If I really need a meathook shot - I'll power down on an overstable midrange.
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Return to Equipment