Overhand Sidewinder vs Firebird

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Overhand Sidewinder vs Firebird

Postby punch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 am

I just started playing around with a overhand throw (thumbers mostly) and have been thinking of picking up a dedicated overhand disc. I have been using a sidewinder for now but have been thinking of buying a firebird. What will a firebird do for me in terms of a overhand throw that a sidewinder won't do? I am currently throwing a little over 325 ft lhbh and about 200 ft sidearm been play for 3 months.
Rhyno - Shark3 - Leopard - Teebird - Mamba
punch
Noob

Re: Overhand Sidewinder vs Firebird

Postby Tokyo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am

Totally depends on how the sidewinder flips and flies through the air for you. If you are looking to try a more stable disc than sidewinder maybe an Orc or beast is in line if you r using sidewinder firebird might b to stable and not work, I use a banshee stable small rim slow flip but that's me.
Tokyo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Teebird

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Generally a more overstable disc will give overhands much slower turn and in turn better distance potential
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby kern9787 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Generally a more overstable disc will give overhands much slower turn and in turn better distance potential

This. Of course the trade off is that the more overstable disc, since it is turning slower, will need more room laterally to complete its flight.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 pm

punch wrote:What will a firebird do for me in terms of a overhand throw that a sidewinder won't do?

Firebirds are a lot more controllable/predictable in the wind. They will continue to be more useful as you game develops for skip shots, rollers, and slicing through small saplings, and killing small rodents :wink:

Are you side arming the sidewinder 200'? :) Understable discs like sidewinders are often harder to get clean flick releases which might be limiting the amount of power you could apply. However, you'll be forced to learn forehand quickly with understable discs because bad releases (search "OAT"/off-axis torque) wont be close enough to make the putt. Firebirds are often early sidearm teachers since wobbly/OAT throws still work well enough until you figure things out.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby punch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 am

I am side arming with my destroyer and gator. I'm getting out to 200 with the destroyer and the gator isn't that much shorter than the destroyer and usually will throw the gator if I need a side arm it comes out really smooth and flat usually, I think the destroyer is too fast for me at this point side arm. I started playing with it a couple weeks ago so I am still trying to get my throws flat. I cant throw a thumber with the destroyer with my short fingers, that is why I have been using the sidewinder until I can get a more suitable disc. I can throw both LHBH and RHBH although I usually prefer to throw LHBH. I throw overhand and side arm with my right hand. I am playing with a single nutsac bag, Discs: Rhyno, Shark3, Gator, Teebird, Leopard, Sidewinder, Destroyer. My bag has streched out quite a bit and I was looking for a overhand disc to fill that last slot in the bag. I want to keep it simple.
Rhyno - Shark3 - Leopard - Teebird - Mamba
punch
Noob

Return to Equipment