Different Plastics

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Different Plastics

Postby mgilbert » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:32 am

Is there really that much difference in how well one can throw one type of plastic over another. Would an older person like me, who can't throw 350 or 400 feet like young people can, really see a difference, and should I stick to the cheap plastics that yield better grip?
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Different Plastics

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:00 pm

mgilbert wrote:Is there really that much difference in how well one can throw one type of plastic over another. Would an older person like me, who can't throw 350 or 400 feet like young people can, really see a difference, and should I stick to the cheap plastics that yield better grip?
Discs can be totally different in other plastics. As an example the Discmania Turning Driver (TD) in D-Line plastic (DX) is just uselessly understable, turning over and burning with seemingly any power, whereas the S-Lines are more like beefy Roadrunners, and the stiff ones kinda akin to TeeBirds, no real turn and very little fade on a low line.

When it comes to the plastic itself, cheaper plastic usually features improved grip, and is easier to throw because of that, but between premium and baseline plastic, the discs tend to come out of the mold so different that it'll affect the flight much more than any difference in grip.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to Equipment