Beginner back hand driving woes

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Beginner back hand driving woes

Postby RHunt2634 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:12 pm

I use to be a forearm disc golf player but had to switch up my technique because I felt like I was blowing out my elbow after playing consecutive days in a row. I have switched to backhand throwing technique and started with a star valk which was going straight for me for the first 72 holes I played with it. Now the disc is slicing off to the left for me and is not flying level anymore. I threw my friends champion leopard today towards the end of round and the disc was moving well however I would like to get a little more distance. I start at the back left of the t box and perform a spin before I throw and release to create some extra torque mainly because I suck at the x step and feel more comfortable spinning and throwing. I researched a tern and it seems to have similar stats to the leopard but a faster speed I am wondering if this could help my driving issues. Someone smarter than me please guide me in the right direction.
RHunt2634
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Leopard

Postby tjh0188 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Continue with the leopard and valk and practice standstill throws. Spinning is for mega ultra distance. Get yourself a dx aviar and practice with it. Distance and accuracy are all about finesse and creating spin on the disc. Look up the technique videos on thediscgolfvids YouTube playlists.
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby tjh0188 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Your placement on the pad is irrelevant to power but everything to accuracy and placement of the shot. I'm sure JR will chime in so check out his signature in regards to run up and pad positioning.
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Re: Beginner back hand driving woes

Postby JR » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Reverse my sig for sidearm sideways. Easy does it accuracy over distance most of the time. Late staffing so i cannot go into much detail.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment