Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DX Beast vs Champion RoadRunner

Postby KRooster » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:46 pm

So I compared the following three discs today out in a field:

DX Beast
Champion RoadRunner, domey
Champion RoadRunner, flat

All 166-167g, brand new. To my surprise the domey RoadRunner seemed the most stable, followed by the Beast, and the flat RoadRunner was the most understable. Does this surprise anyone? I was extremely surprised that the Beast would be less stable than one of the RoadRunners, even though I know domey discs are supposed to be more stable. The wind was a little strong today, but those results did seem somewhat consistent.

Was definitely impressed with the RoadRunner though, the domey one was super glidey. I think both RoadRunners are staying in the bag.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

DX Beast vs Champion RoadRunner

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:06 pm

DX Beasts probably have a really low parting line height. Look up PLH if you don't know what it is already. You can't compare PLH between two molds, but pick up a Champ Beast and you will see what I mean.

Also, flatter fast discs tend to be flippier, so that might explain the last one. It's not always the case...but probably for Roadrunners. At this point, you are getting into the physics of disc shape...have fun!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: DX Beast vs Champion RoadRunner

Postby PMantle » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:42 am

I have had several Beasts in both Ch. and Dx. The difference is amazing. Totally different discs. My Ch.s are like -1 3 and Dx are like -3 1. A lightweight Dx Beast makes for a great downwind driver.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby aerodriver » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:46 am

I had a Champ Roadrunner and have had Beasts in the bag for a while now. Given my inexperience at the time of having the Roadrunner and my experience now with Beasts, I can really only comment on the Beasts.

All of my Beasts from DX to Champ and Star are line-shapers. I can get whatever I want from them, if I rip them hard enough with a little anny angle they'll turn and come back straight, and even harder I'll get them to flip. But when thrown flat they take their normal line shape with a little HSS and fairly heavy LSS with fade to the left.

You must have a pretty good arm at around 166g to get understable flight at power from the Beast. I'm throwing 164-168g and haven't without some anhyzer and power to get them purely understable.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Postby KRooster » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Return to Equipment