looking for a straight driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which is a better driver? Has anyone thrown both, and prefers one?

Surge SS
38%
Innova Krait
63%

Total votes : 8

looking for a straight driver

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm

I want a fairly straight flying distance driver, and think that either the krait or surge ss would be a good option for me. They have the exact same flight ratings, so I am wondering if anyone has tried both and has a preference.
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Re: looking for a straight driver

Postby PMantle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

The Krait is a good bit more overstable for me than the Surge SS. The Krait I have now I save for headwind days. It's for sale BTW. 166 I think. Champion.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm

I really want whichever one ends straightest. Because I throw a teerex and a tern, and want something in between to try to narrow my lineup down to 3 main drivers.
mikepowles
Noob

Postby PMantle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Krait might be straight for you then. A Teerex would hit me in the left knee if I threw it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Be advised though that what you're looking for might turn out not to exist. It would appear that the wider the rim of the disc, the narrower the cruising speed (speed range where it goes straight), and after about speed 9-10 a disc that flies straight without a very specific power range or hyzerflipping it is a very very rare thing indeed.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:09 pm

I know it probly doesnt exist, but im just wondering which of the two finishes with less fade
mikepowles
Noob

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 pm

I also did look at a discraft stalker, but wanted a little more distance. Speed 11 seems to fit me really well, but maybe the stalker would work.
mikepowles
Noob

Postby discraft » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 pm

X Avenger works for me.
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Well the straightest distance drivers I've thrown have been Westside Swords, but only around 380-400', before that they fade significantly. And the balance is so fine at that point anyway that the next disc you get will probably fly slightly differently anyway. You can find mids and fairway drivers that do consistently fly straight (MD2 and TeeBird spring to mind), but distance drivers start to be so touchy that it's hard to develop that sort of trust on any of them. Learning to hyzerflip a slightly understable disc that won't fade too much is probably the straightest shot at long distances. Keeping it as low as possible and getting as much spin on it as possible will help further.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby itlnstln » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 am

To kind of piggyback on what others are saying, I only throw my Terns and Destroyers when I have a lot of right/left space to play with. My high speed stuff is only for chewing up large amounts of distance without as much regard for pinpoint accuracy. If I don't have perfect conditions to throw a high-speed driver, I'm throwing a Leopard, TeeBird, or Firebird (if not a Roc). At the Live Oak course here in San Antonio (kinda), there are/were 38 holes. The course is fairly long, but I only throw high-speed stuff on *maybe* 5-6 holes. Most holes, I drive with a Roc or a Leopard.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby mikepowles » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 am

so what you guys are saying is that I should learn to hyzer flip my MVP amp so that it flies straight, and that may be my best bet here, over going with the surge ss or the krait?
mikepowles
Noob

Postby mikepowles » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 am

or maybe go with the stalker? I believe the flight ratings (innova scale) are 8, 5, -1, 1. If I got that, my distance drivers would be teerex, nuke ss, and tern. and then my fairways would be shock, stalker, and amp. How does that sound?
mikepowles
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 am

mikepowles wrote:or maybe go with the stalker? I believe the flight ratings (innova scale) are 8, 5, -1, 1. If I got that, my distance drivers would be teerex, nuke ss, and tern. and then my fairways would be shock, stalker, and amp. How does that sound?

It sounds like too many molds. Fewer molds, more discs of the same mold in different states of wear. I carry two fairway drivers; TeeBirds and Leopards (as well as a Firebird for specialty shots, but not a regular disc). I also carry two distance discs: Destroyers and Terns. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Terns and beating in Destroyers for simplicity. The upshot (no pun intended) is you might be better served by practicing shaping lines with more neutral discs than carrying a bunch of molds. My personal philosophy (YMMV, of course) for drivers is:

1 slower understable mold
1 slower neutral to overstable mold
1 faster understable mold
1 faster overstable mold
(I also carry 1 mold for trick/specialty shots like thumbers, spike hyzers, forehand rollers, etc., but this disc isn't typically thrown normally)

The rest is just line shaping. Hell, I can throw my Leopards on hyzer lines if I want or give it a little gas, throw it flat, and have it turn over. Personally, I wouldn't over-think the disc selection and simply work on throwing straight.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 am

it starts with an L and rhymes with shepherd.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby itlnstln » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:30 am

keltik wrote:it starts with an L and rhymes with shepherd.

This. Really, with enough control and maybe some good plastic selection, one could really make this the only fairway driver you need, especially for beginners.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment