looking for a straight driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which is a better driver? Has anyone thrown both, and prefers one?

Surge SS
38%
Innova Krait
63%

Total votes : 8

Re: looking for a straight driver

Postby ljerome » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:10 pm

My 2 cents...I love my Champ Starfire but I do not use it for straight shots. It is my nice and stable driver with predictable fade. Maybe Star Starfire is less stable? My Surge SS is a bit more stable than my Nuke SS so sometimes I use my Nuke SS for straight shots and hyzer flip it... but I also have a beat DX Valk that hyzer flips to dead nuts straight for a long time. Surge SS can fly very straight for 300+ with a flat easy release but has some fade at the end. Shorter straight shots (225 and less) are the work of my Roc. I have never thrown a TB but most the folks on here swear by that disc so I will pick one up and try it. Let us know how it goes with the Starfire.
ljerome
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Katana

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Not sure if you realized this, but it is the SL, not the original starfire mold. The starfire fades a lot more than the SL. Everything I've read about the SL said that it is easy to put out to about 300 dead straight, with just a little fade at the end, or really power it p and get a nice s curve
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm

JR wrote:Leo at most because to get a tb beaten in so straight it likes to flip more than the most hss leo which is star.
A TB that flies straight doesn't flip at all, that's the beauty of a good TB. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby PMantle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 pm

itlnstln wrote:
jubuttib wrote:280-300 feet? That's way below SL territory, it won't fly like it's supposed to at those distances. That's mid-range area, TeeBird at the most.

Word. That's Roc or powered-down Leo range.

This kind of thing gets repeated on board a lot. It's flat out objectively wrong. It's as if some of you have no memory of throwing those distances. The SL is perfect for that. Speed 10. -1 and only 2. I won't even get into the mid and t-bird advice.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby dgdave » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Patriots
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Not one of my six Teebirds i've had over the years has been non flipping if they had little fade at any kind of height that would give it distance. It suffers from the same problem as the SL does described below. For tight holes the difference to a Leo is striking after the fade kicks in. Until that the TB is indeed straight but it does not mean good enough for scoring on tighter holes. The whole flight and possible skips need to be factored in too. And at high power the TBs that have worn to less fading (more than Leo still) have flipped for me. I have a non flipping at full power calm weather Star Leo BTW. That one flips in mild headwinds. Champ Leos flip and less than worn TBs that still fade more than the Leos. The Star Leo fades more than the Champ but is still less LSS than worn much flipping TBs i've had. New Champ Leo flips a little for me at high power.

The statement that PMantle made is plain wrong objectively for any kind of distance giving apex height which is not needed for 300'. In order to get the SL without fade to 300' needs a very low throw which is possible but then risks skips that move left and is more difficult than a higher than head throw. Sure i can throw way more overstable discs straight to 300' with under the head height but it is a matter of if the disc stops straight or skips a lot even to outside the circle. I have thrown my SL straight at 300' with under my head height on a sport field sliding much of the way on the ground. That is not how most holes are because they are uneven and in practice on the courses around here the disc tends to skip a lot on landing and when it does at 300' it tends to leave long putts. Something that mids and putters of the straight kind tend to do a lot less.

PMantle made a bizarre statement about not remembering 300'. So if an approach or a hole is 300' long a 400' thrower always overshoots by a 100'? Yes exactly. Derrr....
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 pm

JR wrote:
The statement that PMantle made is plain wrong objectively for any kind of distance giving apex height which is not needed for 300'.
PMantle made a bizarre statement about not remembering 300'. So if an approach or a hole is 300' long a 400' thrower always overshoots by a 100'? Yes exactly. Derrr....
How's that? What are you even saying?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 pm

PMantle wrote:This kind of thing gets repeated on board a lot. It's flat out objectively wrong. It's as if some of you have no memory of throwing those distances. The SL is perfect for that. Speed 10. -1 and only 2. I won't even get into the mid and t-bird advice.
No, I have very clear memories of that time. When I was throwing around 280-300' max I had two Star SL's (one is actually my avatar). It was horrible for that. The only way I could get it to do anything other than fade out too early was to either throw it with a huge anhyzer or OAT it. It just has too much fade and too little turn to work properly at those distances as anything other than an overstable driver. And still it was barely 20' longer at best than my mids. And that applied to just about every very fast disc. I also had a Monarch back then, and it flew exactly the same way for me then (only when I learned how to throw did the differences become clear). I really, truly, honestly wish that I could travel back in time to beat some sense into myself.

The next year I actually settled down, read through the maxing out at 300' thread, started to work on my form, started to pay more attention to slower discs like DX TeeBirds, Leopards, Coyotes and especially my putters, noticed that I could actually make them fly like they were supposed to, with less effort and without having to mangle them to get them to work. I got more distance and consistency, as well as an overall smoother throw, in the first month of doing that than I had gotten in my first year of trying to use discs that were just too fast for me. They still had their place as overstable discs when I had to go left or needed to fight wind, but I stopped trying to force them to be max distance discs.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:20 pm

JR wrote:Not one of my six Teebirds i've had over the years has been non flipping if they had little fade at any kind of height that would give it distance.
Once again I really do find it funny how we can have so insanely different experiences with a disc. =)

Apart from two distinct discs (a blue 172 DX TeeBird that was understable from the start and a yellow Champ TeeBird that was more overstable than a CFR C-PD) all of my TeeBirds have been as close as you can reasonably get to 0 turn, +1 fade, even leaning towards 0 fade on low lines. I don't tend to throw particularly high if possible, but that hasn't stopped me from reaching 400+' with them on a good form day, thrown flat and with very little fade.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby PMantle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Pro SLs fly just like the numbers and only slightly more stable than a Beast. It's probably the best driver out there for the 300 thrower. And yeah, JR only gets defective discs. lulz.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Stringbean » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:04 pm

My only experience was with a 175g Star SL. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro has less stability/fade. The pro Starfire is made in the SL mold, correct?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby slowarm » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:40 am

I remember very well what it was to throw 300'. In fact, I don't throw nowadays a lot further. In my experience, one throwing around 300' throws a speed 7 disc as far as a speed 10 disc. So no reason to throw a SL, when you can do the same with a slower disc that's easier to throw.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Monocacy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:32 am

mikepowles wrote:I want a fairly straight flying distance driver, and think that either the krait or surge ss would be a good option for me. They have the exact same flight ratings, so I am wondering if anyone has tried both and has a preference.

I have direct personal experience of throwing 300', and I use a 155 blizzard Krait as my overstable distance driver. For my throw, the Krait has a strong fade so I flex it for distance (throw it on a slight anny and count on the fade to bring it back). I'm definitely not using the Krait if I need a straight line with minimal fade, but it is great for going straight and then fading and skipping around things.

If I need a straight distance shot I hyzer-flip something understable - currently Mamba or Diamond, but previously worn Champ Valkyries. The degree of hyzer varies with the disc, wind direction, etc. Worn DX Teebirds thrown low and hard will also do this shot beautifully, as will Champ or Star Leopards thrown on a slight hyzer. One of my longest throws ever was with a 150 Champ Leopard.

By the way, many scoff at the Mamba but I have seen some big-arm folks throw amazing hyzer bombs with them. I have found Star Mambas to be more consistently controllable than Champs.

I have found the power ratings in Joe's Flight Chart to be generally spot-on, so I have never tried a Starfire, SL, or Surge SS, since they are rated for people throwing 325-375'.

Good luck!
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby PMantle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 am

slowarm wrote:I remember very well what it was to throw 300'. In fact, I don't throw nowadays a lot further. In my experience, one throwing around 300' throws a speed 7 disc as far as a speed 10 disc. So no reason to throw a SL, when you can do the same with a slower disc that's easier to throw.

It never worked that way for me. At 300, I did not hit diminishing returns until about speed 12. Archon was the the first driver I hit 300 with, and it was well past where slower drivers were going.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am

Why do you guys think I throw 300 max? I said I want to use the SL for 300 foot straighter shots with just a little fade at the end, and I will be throwing the pretty low. I am a 350-375 thrower. I use a nuke ss or a tern for long stuff, depending on how the hole is shaped. I also have a teerex that I put out to 325 regularly with a pretty hard fade at the end, but duh, its a fucking teerex. I think the SL will be good because I will be able to throw it 85 to 90 percent power, head high, and get 300 with it with little fade. I could go with a t-bird or leopard, but I like having the flexibility with a disc to power down to 280, or give it all I got for 370. I wouldnt be able to do it with a speed 7 disc. I do throw a couple fairway drivers, one of which (mvp amp) I can hyzer flip for a pretty straight 290 feet with a little fade. But I cant put an amp out to 370 even if I tried, so the SL will be a good "everything" disc
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment