Less is more

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Less is more

Postby mgilbert » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:41 am

Unless you play on open, grass courses, DX drivers won't last long. I'd recommend giving Latitude discs a try. If your arm speed is slower due to age or inexperience, try a Diamond. If you have intermediate speed, try the River and Saint. Even the Westside Renegage is good, if you have decent arm speed. If you are new to this, stick with lower weights - it makes all the difference in the world. I'm 52, and an intermediate player at best, and I can throw 150g Opto Air plastic stuff fairly well. I even have a 152g Westside King I can throw over 300 feet. Westside and Dynamic Discs are made by Latitude. The Opto plastic is as durable is Innova's Champion plastic, but has better drip. Their Gold Line plastic is similar to Innova's Star plastic, but again, has much better grip. Latitude discs also glide much better than Innova discs - and just about everyone else's for that matter.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 am

JR wrote:With ever better flying premium plastic disc becoming available all the time the benefits of cycling base plastic discs become fewer. For me having the same shape in the disc for left straight and right shots is not mandatory nor sought after but it might be for some. Base plastic tend to have ok grip tackiness wise and recently there have been tackier and tackier primo plastics and rubber becoming available. Price depends on the mold and how often you lose discs. Rocs are very long lasting in dx. At least is you can live with sanded smoother damaged discs. Putters and mids ladt longer and still around rocks and broken glass dx will not last.

I have had a z Pred get sliced a fifth of an inch deep on the first throw probably from hitting broken glass hyzered. Lose a disc and base plastic is cheaper but it takes a longer time to break it in where getting more discs and cycling longer or giving discs to friends to break them in.

I have never been exclusively and mostly not much of a cycling player. I have tried it and with each year i can fill the gaps even with tacky discs that are primo. I have always made by with primo discs with occasional blow ups. The danger of which gets less each year.

Even primo discs change especially on rocky courses. Some molds and slower speeds last longer than others. Leos in champ are slick in adverse conditions but last years.

I would go as far as saying that now people can manage to be lazy and buy just right flying primo discs that are not compromises in grip and durability. Is this the first year for that i think not if you can manipulate flight.

Edit late turns are not easy to get with primo discs but are easier with base plastics. That difference has not been bridged so well.

^^^Agreed
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 am

itlnstln wrote:It's so rocky around here that I have to cycle premium plastics. Star plastic is great for cycling. I've become especially adept at repairing discs using heat to "remold" gouged disc edges.

I often play 5-6 days in one week on rocky mountain courses in Lake Tahoe, CA. Lots of trees too, it's all heavily forested. My champ, Z, Opto, etc hold up fine over time. Now, if I was playing where the ground is covered with shale, that would be a different story.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment