Need a Tunnel Mid

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:29 pm

PMantle: You can throw the Axis harder and it will still hold the line due to the 'Gyro' tech. That's one thing I like about MVP mids and putters, they hold the line they're thrown on, period.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby JR » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:27 pm

PMantle wrote:Yup to the Champ Leo, but I throw it on a hole where a little left finish is really good. Are Star Leos less stable?


I have not even seen a flat Leo but the domey ones are less stable than the slightly flatter Stars i have. The Star at ful power for me fades earlier does not flip in calm conditions ends up further left and is shorter. The Champ tends to s-curve if there is any wind now maybe it has been broken in or i have developed just enough power to not have it flip as little as it used o. OTOH the Leo should not be ripped full tilt. If it is not Star that is.

Tangent is good but a hybrid of putter and mid and that is just fine for many and is slick as hell when moist or cold and Neutron Axis is a faster Buzz that needs a head high throw at full tilt for me not to fade so not easy and Proton Axis is prone to flipping a little half of the time and going straight half of the time at full power. Power it down and release it cleanly and it is fine other than in adverse grip conditions.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby Stringbean » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:24 pm

I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby Stringbean » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:29 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:PMantle: You can throw the Axis harder and it will still hold the line due to the 'Gyro' tech. That's one thing I like about MVP mids and putters, they hold the line they're thrown on, period.


From my experience, the 'gyro' tech doesn't do anything to make it hold a line anymore than similarly shaped discs.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Stringbean wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:PMantle: You can throw the Axis harder and it will still hold the line due to the 'Gyro' tech. That's one thing I like about MVP mids and putters, they hold the line they're thrown on, period.


From my experience, the 'gyro' tech doesn't do anything to make it hold a line anymore than similarly shaped discs.


Do you throw any MVP mids? Because the difference is noticeable.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Stringbean wrote:I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.


I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby Stringbean » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 am

BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:PMantle: You can throw the Axis harder and it will still hold the line due to the 'Gyro' tech. That's one thing I like about MVP mids and putters, they hold the line they're thrown on, period.


From my experience, the 'gyro' tech doesn't do anything to make it hold a line anymore than similarly shaped discs.


Do you throw any MVP mids? Because the difference is noticeable.


Yes, saw no difference.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby Stringbean » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 am

BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.


I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.


That's not always true.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am

Stringbean wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.


I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.


That's not always true.


I hope you have a heavy one.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby andrew » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:25 am

Buzzz, Fuse and Axis are all good tunnel mid options. They are three completely different discs. I carry both Buzzz and Fuse and which to choose depends on exact hole and wind, because even though it seems silly, even straight tunnel shots vary a lot course to course. There are also two good MVP tunnel mids that a friend i play with throws, but I can't remember the names. Sorry to interrupt all the trolling and defending from trolls.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby Stringbean » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.


I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.


That's not always true.


I hope you have a heavy one.


Haha, yes it is 180g. I have never seen a Super Stingray on a store shelf that wasn't 180g.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby PMantle » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:04 pm

I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Stringbean wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:
Stringbean wrote:I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.


I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.


That's not always true.


I hope you have a heavy one.


Haha, yes it is 180g. I have never seen a Super Stingray on a store shelf that wasn't 180g.


180g are pretty common, true. But I've seen them as low as 167g. It's a good disc, I hope you enjoy it.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 pm

PMantle wrote:I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.


MVP is an aquired taste, IMO. I think the reason many describe their mids as "faster" is because you need to throw them harder to get optimal flight out of them. Gotta keep them spinning. That gyro tech thing again :)
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 am

BentElbow11 wrote:
PMantle wrote:I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.


MVP is an aquired taste, IMO. I think the reason many describe their mids as "faster" is because you need to throw them harder to get optimal flight out of them. Gotta keep them spinning. That gyro tech thing again :)


While I can throw a buzz, truth, slightly worn roc, axis, and several others straight all the way to the end of their flights (sorry guys, it's the indian not the arrow), nothing has garnered more comments from other players in tournaments than the tangent. When thrown hard (yep, have to get on it like stated above), it is dead nuts straight all the way to the ground. It's a tremendous disc and imho the best that MVP has produced. Personally I'd use one of my putters (currently warlock and zero hard pure) for the shot that this out of hand thread started asking about, but I don't hesitate to grab the tangent if I need a bit more D than the putters give.
42
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am
Location: In my own way
Favorite Disc: OLF

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Star Shark and 2 guests