echo star Mamba

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

echo star Mamba

Postby money 21 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Are the echo star mamba on par with the star mamba stablity wise.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: echo star Mamba

Postby JR » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Thread hijack to avoid starting a new one. Fondled Echos today along with Stars and Starlites. Echos are nicely grippy at my local store never felt as soft or grippy Echos so far. Considering after the first run or runs of Echo they tended to be harder and slick these are a swing in the opposite direction. I did not pick up a Gstar to compare side by side IIRC because a friend just bought one and from memory the Echos are grippier and softer. Quite a surprise after having skipped a year of touching new Echos.

The 173 Gstar my friend has hyzered downhill into a rock once with leading edge damage is not a low PLH one and has some mild dome. Thrown high at 90 % i guess it went 400' despite flipping from about 8 degrees of hyzer to 3 with skip from a gravel path adding to the skip distance. With constant eye contact to the target slow stepped approach form i got that to 300' with pulled power.

Seeing the flight of the Mamba my friend has deviating so much from the Innova spec of turn -5 being more like -1.5 or something like that i wanted to try a different kind. Because my friend lost his anny disc and gets better D from Mamba than his Beast and uses his as his distance driver i thought that a lighter one is ok. He has been bugging me to sell my 146 Bliz Beast which is the best lefty hyzer flipper for me out of the discs that are not in storage. So i thought that since he wants a lighter Mamba for a different role i might as well buy one to test it out and put that into his hands if it does not suite me. well in these winds it sure does not in Starlite 158. No surprise. Good rear wind D and straightness though adn a head high stand still 5 degree intial hyzer flipped to flat landed at about 250' skipping to 295'. No follow through step i under powered some but did shift weight forward some. That lack of HSS was enough for me to decide i need a heavier one for control. Max weight Echo most likely for normal use and possibly a 170 or even mid 160s for fucking around. Or lefty tosses.

I am seeing what discs are out there that i have not thrown and are either low power requirement or light to not need a lot of squeezing power because i was diagnosed with a further throwing arm injury. That gets aggravated with hard squeezing and hard pulls. Joy. Well Gstar or Starlite are not exactly durable and the Star is not helping my ailment with relative slickness so Echo it needs to be for me. Because ther power requirement sure is low and they are fairly straight which i prefer and if i get one with enough HSS it may replace or complement Beasts needing less height to go as far or farther possibly once i get a one with enough HSS to be reliably hyzer flippable in milder winds. Although i think that no Mamba probably can be as reliable as the Beast for straight long shots with some wind. I shall see once i get a one meatier and heavier to suite my righty power better.

I did not toss lefty today testing my new brace for the right arm. This disc may be good enough for hyzer flips lefty now but i doubt it with the most powerful throws.

Note that both of the Mambas i have thrown recently have high PLHs and are not the roller material kinds made early at least. Dunno if they make those flippy drooping PLH ones any more. I do not miss them because at light enough weight Starlites flip easily enough or are straightenough for low powered throwers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:30 am

Got a 175 Echo Star Mamba. Shit winds and no reliable results other than winds make it flip. It was colder than yesterday and the plastic got tougher and slicker. Still ok at 14C. Had sidearm slips and especially with stand stills but it was more likely my injury related than a lack in tackiness. No problems full tilt bh suggests that. Funny that lower powered throws were tougher to hold on to. Sure the wind was worse than when i tried the GStar of my friend so it is a little discouraging to not see reliability improvement in these conditions upgrading from a Starlite 158 to an Echo Star 175. It seems clear that even with a max weight high plh one the Mamba cannot replace Beasts for 400' throwers in all conditions. I tossed them high in rear winds to see if it gets better and stalling to 300' high it got less flippy and still not good enough. It is better at 250-330' in some winds and a little more in calm wind.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 am

Calm to 6 MPH winds dry and mostly rain thereafter 49F. No wind is god or if there is wind a rear one would be the only sensible direction for this disc at aver 200' i guess. Guessing because i threw at 250'+ all the time. 250-260' stand stills did not turn with the EStar 175 in calm conditions every time and the 158 turned about 2 degrees. Neither moved too much right if they did. But add power and the gremlins come out. Past 300' headwinds with 3 degrees to the 175 and 5 for the 158 flipped to anny when they would flip to flat in calm conditions. Poor D getting less D than the last time. Arm brace on and 48 miles on a ike yesterday might mean something. From memory 30' short compared to the last time but less rear wind also.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Equipment