advice for a newer player with disc selection

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

advice for a newer player with disc selection

Postby Free Agent » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 pm

sorry if this is the wrong section, new to this forum, soo mods if this isnt correct feel free to delete it or move it. but here we go.
i have a question that i cant really seem to get an answer for, im kind anew to disc golf, been playing for a year or so now, i currently have a champion blizzard 145 beast, but when i throw it it instantly turns over and never goes where i want, and i also have a champion 170 groove but i cant seem to throw it hard enough i guess cause its a speed 13, soo im having a hard time trying to determine what speed i throw at. and im not sure if im over throwing the beast because its too slow of a speed or if its because its too light, i know im definately getting the Gstar dart, and i have a paul mcbeth roc3 that i really like, soo i was wanting to get the Gstar krait. but idk if ill have the same problem with it like i do the groove, can anyone help?
Free Agent
Noob

Favorite Disc: not sure yet

Re: advice for a newer player with disc selection

Postby aerodriver » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:03 pm

I would try a heavier Beast for starters. You may also be experiencing OAT (off axis torque) that is causing you to rip the disc harder with poor form, creating an off balance and inaccurate shot.

I'd find a nice hiding spot for the Groove, it is too much disc too soon in the process if you're not getting rounds in daily or weekly. Keep working with your Roc3 since you like it, and keep an eye out for a putter you might like to pair it with. The Krait may also be too much disc at the moment, I would hold off and stick to your putter, mid, and a driver like the Beast for now. Keep your discs slow and somewhat understable until they all start flipping on you.

What will help is if you have some distance measurements for your Roc3 so that you can get better recommendations for a driver.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Postby Free Agent » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:10 pm

havent played much since its been soo cold, i have a great putter, its a dx dart. soo im gonna go ahead and get it in the new GStar plastic. and ill see what i can do on the roc3 distance measurements. the local course i always play at is heavily wooded, soo i cant really put too much power on any of my throws or they will go pin balling through the course. i have a dx 170 ish leopard that i found, but it rolls over as soon as i through it too. the beast use to fly really well but i guess i gained power from playing soo much last summer and from where i started lifting, just kinda confused on picking the correct speed of disc.
Free Agent
Noob

Postby Free Agent » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 pm

ok so i posted the same question to the innova store page on facebook, and they said as a rule of thumb to add a zero to the end of the speed on the disc, meaning in order to throw my blizzard beast correctly i need to throw with enough power for it to go 100 meters since its a speed 10, which is roughly 330 feet, but then again i read somewhere else that if your discs are constantly turning over as soon as u throw them then you're overpowering the disc and need to move up to a faster speed, i just went outside and test threw my roc3 a few times, and it was roughly 220 feet, measured it with a 4 ft measuring tape so im sure its off. but using their rule of thumb thats equal to throwing a speed 7, but the roc is a speed 5 soo it should mean that im overpowering it, but the flight of the disc didnt indicate that to be true. just dont know what to go by here, then i posted the same question to innova disc page on facebook, and they said that a speed 11 disc around 165, and didnt really explain too much else. soo yea kinda lost here on what to do
Free Agent
Noob

Postby andrew » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:11 pm

I remember being overwhelmed with options when I first started and that was when there were only two companies! It does sound like you are supinating your wrist when throwing the beast and leopard (disc golfers call this OAT just to be cool)- a test for this is to try releasing it at a hyzer angle and seeing if it flips (turns) even more than it does when you release it flat (parallel to the ground). If it does, you have OAT issues. I laugh now at when I thought discs turned like that because I was overpowering them.

My advice is not to get crazy about buying discs until you get your form worked out. I usually advise to just play rounds using something like a Mako or Axis (Comet in Discraft world) and a putter (Dart is cool) until you can get consistent with the flight path. Honestly the Roc3 should be kinda hard-fading for a beginner.

Watch some youtube videos and check the tutorials on this site on how to grip and throw discs if you haven't already.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Free Agent » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 am

i started throwing my beast and leopard on a hyzer earlier and they both turn back up to flat and either slightly fade back right or left, depending on how much hyzer i throw them on. soo i guess i finally figured out how to throw them, i was just use to my groove too much where i have to throw anny on it too keep it from fading as son as it leaves my hand, and then with the roc3 i have i can throw it flat and itll stay flat til it fades like its suppose to, i guess my problem was trying to throw the beast and leopard flat which resulted in them turning over instantly, but yea thanks everyone who helped out
Free Agent
Noob

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

<<<i started throwing my beast and leopard on a hyzer earlier and they both turn back up to flat and either slightly fade back right or left, depending on how much hyzer i throw them on. soo i guess i finally figured out how to throw them, i was just use to my groove too much where i have to throw anny on it too keep it from fading as son as it leaves my hand>>>, and then with the roc3 i have i can throw it flat and itll stay flat til it fades like its suppose to, i guess my problem was trying to throw the beast and leopard flat which resulted in them turning over instantly, but yea thanks everyone who helped out[/quote]

You've already discovered the secret to learning proper throwing form. When beginning disc golf, start with neutral-understable discs and learn to throw them correctly, after which you'll be able to throw any disc well. Muscling discs over, OAT, wrist roll...all things to avoid like the plague. Move up in disc speed only as your form and distance dictates.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby thesephman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 pm

start with an understable mid like a stingray or meteor and then move up to faster and more stable discs
thesephman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:46 pm

not sure if you still check here,but Comets and Fuses are the best things to use to teach proper form. Then you can move up to a Pro D Cyclone. Then Valkyrie,then Beast.

These are all great discs to let you know if you have OAT Issues
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Return to Equipment