The Judge

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Judge

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 pm

PMantle wrote:He needs to get in line. I have 47 people telling me that at dgcr.

I wouldn't listen to that place,they'll get you throwing a trashcan lid as a driver. lol

BentElbow11 wrote:People take things to extremes sometimes.

DGCR gets pretty screwy. The plastic worshippers and brand fanboys. MVP especially, LOL. They can't seem to make a driver with any dome whatsoever, which makes them fly like cow chips, but noobs go crazy over the stuff. I do like their mids though.

Never quite understood that place. It's really hard to grasp what is a good disc and what is a bad disc. Or what would work for me. You ask one question and get 50 different disc options, well you know what i mean lol
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Going back to driving with a Putter. Instead of using a Putter there is always this Option, A Comet.

I like a Z because you can put some stank on it and throw it dead straight or with hyzer and an ESP is just the right amount of flippy for slow tracking drives to the right or turnovers.

You may not want to drive with them,but they are an excellent longer approach disc. They can go very far when gotten use to.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
PMantle wrote:He needs to get in line. I have 47 people telling me that at dgcr.

I wouldn't listen to that place,they'll get you throwing a trashcan lid as a driver. lol

DGCR gets pretty screwy. The plastic worshippers and brand fanboys. MVP especially, LOL. They can't seem to make a driver with any dome whatsoever, which makes them fly like cow chips, but noobs go crazy over the stuff. I do like their mids though.

Never quite understood that place. It's really hard to grasp what is a good disc and what is a bad disc. Or what would work for me. You ask one question and get 50 different disc options, well you know what i mean lol

Oh yeh, I know what you mean. What's most laughable is the noobs over there rave about every disc they try, but have usually dropped it in a matter of weeks for the next best thing. Do they ever actually play DG? Or just collect discs?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:Going back to driving with a Putter. Instead of using a Putter there is always this Option, A Comet.

I like a Z because you can put some stank on it and throw it dead straight or with hyzer and an ESP is just the right amount of flippy for slow tracking drives to the right or turnovers.

You may not want to drive with them,but they are an excellent longer approach disc. They can go very far when gotten use to.

Z Comets are nice. But I was bagging a Flying Squirrel for awhile, which is very similar in shape, feel, and flight. If you think the Fuse has glide, throw a Flying Squirrel! Unfortunately(for me) it's an old school mid design, with a narrower sharp rim and deep wall. I don't like going back and forth with that and other newer mid designs, it affects grip and can throw my release off on my go-to mids. The Squirrel is fun to throw though.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 pm

As putter distance 250' is not miraculous and unachievable but it gives you new options. It does not need unreasonable amounts of power or form so it is very achievable for average skill levels and fairly early in a disc golf career. 300' means that the basics are ok even though you may not have pro snap. Which means it is achievable and 250' should be accurate. No absolute need for 400' but it is a shame most top players cannot do it these days when in the 80s some ripped it well farther than that. Now 350' with accuracy would really give an edge.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Just having fun, JR. Of course, you are right...well, mostly.

I may drive with a putter on holes 250' or less. Or use a mid powered down. Beyond that, IMO, you're overthrowing putters and accuracy starts degrading the harder you throw them, which defeats the purpose.

Those "putters" in the 80's you reference were heavyweights, upwards of 200g. Let me know when you find a 200g putter today that you can really crank on.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Err nope. Dave Dunipace got the world distance record with an Aero that to my knowledge has never been allowed to 200 gram weight and it was like 470'ish. 300' controlled power among pros is not a big deal these days. I have filmed Nate Doss drive just short of 330' and be OB from being too short at Tali open with a Challenger. 250' is something i gor for regularly with putters and i have way less power than Nate and am no pro. He throws to 500' in competition with air shots i never get to 450' with drivers without rollers. So meaningful putter distance can be achieved with 400' driver D but in fact even less than that is A ok. 250' putters is like 300-350' driver D and is very helpful on many courses depending on form limitations.

Challengers are not the longest putters so among Discraft discs he would have made to the island at 330' with a Banger GT for example. It was not a desperation shot in the winds he was facing but smething he expected to make. AKA a pro style pushing of the envelope with a real chance of making it and staying within his limits. He was just a couple of feet shy of 330' with a putter that does not glide that well and get the ultimate distance unlike many other putters when driven. Challenger is really among the shortest putters out there that are not meat hooks.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Hmm, when exactly are we talking about in the 80's?

IIRC, the original "Aero" was actually what became the Eagle, and not a putter design at all?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:32 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:

Oh yeh, I know what you mean. What's most laughable is the noobs over there rave about every disc they try, but have usually dropped it in a matter of weeks for the next best thing. Do they ever actually play DG? Or just collect discs?

I have a buddy like that. We are always trading because he has no idea what he wants to throw or he throws something for a month and then just tries something else. I've aquired a lot of stuff from him. I never would have thrown a Tern or Stalker if it wasn't for him though. They are two of my favorites

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:24 pm

The temptation to try out new discs was bad enough with Innova and Discraft constantly putting out new stuff in the past, but now with all the new brands and molds, crazy!
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:16 am

Good form and power generation is always relevant and with putters people were actually better than now in the 1980s. But you asked when we talked of the 80s -i did in my post an March 22nd :-D The original Eagle became the Aero and what is now called an Eagle is a different disc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:09 am

I just can't get the MVP stuff to work. I've kept my Shock in the bag, and still us my Amp some, but the others just don't work as well for me as a similar disc from either Innova or one of the many others out now. I'm sure I'll try one of the drivers at some point out of curiosity, but I pretty much love the drivers I have right now.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 pm

JR wrote:Good form and power generation is always relevant and with putters people were actually better than now in the 1980s. But you asked when we talked of the 80s -i did in my post an March 22nd :-D The original Eagle became the Aero and what is now called an Eagle is a different disc.

The first non-Frisbee disc was the Puppy, a smaller diameter "putter" design at 200g. Dave D then took a Puppy and modified it with a wedge ring around the outer edge to create a non putter distance driver called the Eagle. It was then renamed the Aero. It wasn't a putter design.

Now, as to my original point which you disagreed with, the putters(Puppy, a couple AMF designs) that could really be thrown hard for new distance records were heavyweights, upwards of 200g. Prior to that, distance records were being set with Frisbees of various designs.

Your earlier reference to Dave D's distance record with a putter that wasn't 200g is incorrect. It wasn't 200g, but it also was NOT a putter design! It was the original Aero.

Sure it's more difficult to throw a putter 400 ft than todays drivers. But there's a reason driver designs caught on, and with increasingly wider rims. Such as: ease of throwing further, much better distance potential, and varying stabilities for line shaping and performance in the wind.
Last edited by BentElbow11 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:07 pm

PMantle wrote:

I just can't get the MVP stuff to work. I've kept my Shock in the bag, and still us my Amp some, but the others just don't work as well for me as a similar disc from either Innova or one of the many others out now. I'm sure I'll try one of the drivers at some point out of curiosity, but I pretty much love the drivers I have right now.

Drivers/fairway drivers with completely flat tops, unlike their mids, don't fly optimally. They are overly fast and lack glide. Maybe MVP can't create a mold with some dome because it won't transition smoothly into the outer overmold, who knows?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeah, all mine have glide of 3/4 at best.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment