Inertia - threw one a bit today

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Inertia - threw one a bit today

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Stringbean wrote:PMantle is in Louisana, at sea level. Keep in mind that discs tend to fly more stable at sea level. I am not joking.

I don't think that PMantle would intentionally make things up about the stability of a disc. He has thrown a wide variety of plastic and I respect his opinion.

I didn't even know that about the Sea Level thing. That is pretty cool.

Learn something everyday :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm

Discs fly less stable at sea level, more stable at altitude.

Finland is a mostly flat country at or near sea level, although somewhat hilly in the north. I'm sure JR would be happy to confirm this.

UncleBrother: glad you like your newest Tern. So the higher PLH did the trick? I imagine it's straighter than your other Terns, right?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Discs fly less stable at sea level, more stable at altitude.

Finland is a mostly flat country at or near sea level, although somewhat hilly in the north. I'm sure JR would be happy to confirm this.

UncleBrother: glad you like your newest Tern. So the higher PLH did the trick? I imagine it's straighter than your other Terns, right?

Yeah it's great. It is a lot straighter and very glidey. Sometimes that can be a very bad thing if you don't hit it right,well the glidey part.

I did park this one hole earlier that is 391ft,but the way the hole is set-up it feels so much farther.

I was trying a grip that feldberg uses today. you put your middle and ring finger tips against the rim and your index finger and pinky finger pads against the rim. when you have it gripped good and hit it right you can get some mad distance with this grip. Still trying to work the kinks out with it still.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Too glidey? Well, you have your PD's, right?

The "Feldberg" grip you're describing is how my 4 finger power grip always looked, just naturally. I use a 2 finger power grip now. It increases snap and spin bigtime, especially spin. But it's tricky...a less secure grip, disc rides higher up in the hand, release is earlier...all adjustments. But, I went from 4 to 3 to 2, and really took to the 2 finger right away. Just for driving though...
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:47 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Too glidey? Well, you have your PD's, right?

The "Feldberg" grip you're describing is how my 4 finger power grip always looked, just naturally. I use a 2 finger power grip now. It increases snap and spin bigtime, especially spin. But it's tricky...a less secure grip, disc rides higher up in the hand, release is earlier...all adjustments. But, I went from 4 to 3 to 2, and really took to the 2 finger right away. Just for driving though...

Yeah the Tern is a glide Monster. Well Champion is the one that has the most. The G-Star and Star isn't so bad they throw more like a disc with a glide of 5.

Yes I have those awesome PD's,but I use my Terns on the big distance holes just because I know when I hit it right it's going to be about 20ft farther. :D

I used a 2 finger grip before. Had to use it when I was having a lot of trouble out of this cyst I have on my ring finger.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:A glideless Mamba at -1.5 turn, 3 fade? And you're sure it's a Mamba?

only in so far that it says so in the stamp. Glide is a blurred term and i am pretty sure i used it differently than you did i this case. You see i use glide in two ways depending on the disc. On this site the normal way people say glide is how well the disc holds height and that is it no other terms and conditions. That is fine for low shots and little fading shots. What happens to a disc that holds height well i the high speed portion of the flight that dump fades? Here i used the term glide differently with that Mamba. It is a pretty standard glide out to say 350' and then it drops quickly as a result of the quick tilt. No disc gludes well tilted much.

i have never been at altitude and throwing in a pressurized plane is not encouraged. I live at sea level by the sea so our courses get shifting winds all the time. Those that go up or down a mountain notice a difference big time. Discs act faster less gliding and more overstable at altitude due to lower air density. 2003 worlds at altitude had interesting interviews. I will be going to European championships in Switzerland in August and there are mountains close by so maybe i get to see the difference.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:57 pm

That is an interesting take on "glide", JR. I've had many long drives with late turn(anhyzer release and/or wind) that glide out big, to the right(RHBH)...at a field of course, LOL.

I play mountain courses in Lake Tahoe, CA that are in excess of 6000 ft altitude, a couple closer to 8000. I have to throw my drivers differently, or in some cases use a more understable driver, period. Yes, air density...basic physics.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am

BentElbow11 wrote:That is an interesting take on "glide", JR. I've had many long drives with late turn(anhyzer release and/or wind) that glide out big, to the right(RHBH)...at a field of course, LOL.

I play mountain courses in Lake Tahoe, CA that are in excess of 6000 ft altitude, a couple closer to 8000. I have to throw my drivers differently, or in some cases use a more understable driver, period. Yes, air density...basic physics.

Have you thrown at lower altitudes? There were some CO actives here earlier and they said they lost a lot of distance coming down lower gaining glide and having less fade.

I have that single Mamba and am not interested in getting another so it may be misstamped or just different to most other Mambas. It is almost the norm these days with Disc golf manufacturers Innova and Lat being the least consistent big ones. But every maker has had these issues out of the ones i have tried and heard. Although some new makers have not seen much coverage but making one or few molds...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 am

I throw at sea level all the time, I live at sea level in Calif. The Tahoe mountain courses I mentioned, I may play twice a year. But will play 4-5 different courses there each trip. You can either compensate with release angle, or just choose less stable drivers.

Can't figure your Mamba. All the ones I've thrown are super understable to maybe Valkyrie understable(the higher PLH ones)...champion to champion comparison.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 am

BentElbow11 wrote:I throw at sea level all the time, I live at sea level in Calif. The Tahoe mountain courses I mentioned, I may play twice a year. But will play 4-5 different courses there each trip. You can either compensate with release angle, or just choose less stable drivers.

Can't figure your Mamba. All the ones I've thrown are super understable to maybe Valkyrie understable(the higher PLH ones)...champion to champion comparison.

Manufacturing variations... :roll: But Innova has mislabeled discs before too. It is by far not the only lemon i have gotten in my time buying, i hazard a guess, about 400-500 discs in my career. What kind of distance changes do you get between sea level vs 6000' vs 8000'?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:51 am

JR wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:I throw at sea level all the time, I live at sea level in Calif. The Tahoe mountain courses I mentioned, I may play twice a year. But will play 4-5 different courses there each trip. You can either compensate with release angle, or just choose less stable drivers.

Manufacturing variations... :roll: But Innova has mislabeled discs before too. It is by far not the only lemon i have gotten in my time buying, i hazard a guess, about 400-500 discs in my career. What kind of distance changes do you get between sea level vs 6000' vs 8000'?

I suppose it could be mislabeled as a Mamba, anything's possible.

Not much distance difference at altitude, just stability. Oh, drives may not hang in the air as long, but they get out there faster. Keep in mind, these are high mountain alpine courses, so flight-glide-distance can also be aided by thermals.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 am

JR, you could go to DGCR, choose 'browse courses', enter Squaw Valley, click on hole pictures, and then use left or right arrows that will appear at sides of pictures to view the holes. This course is well above Squaw Valley at approx 8000 ft....Squaw Valley itself is about 6300. Maybe do the same for pictures of the Zephyr Cove course...at 6200 ft.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:24 pm

JR wrote:Manufacturing variations... :roll:

I wish they would test each run and label accordingly. If they would do that, then there is no way my beloved Champion Leo would have -2 1 on it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 pm

You mean your Leopard is flying overstable for you too? Oh boy!

Oh, and what you're suggesting is not only screwy, but impossible.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:53 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:You mean your Leopard is flying overstable for you too? Oh boy!

Oh, and what you're suggesting is not only screwy, but impossible.

It's flying how it's flying, and the system is not only not impossible, it would be easy as pie. Screwy? Having numbers that accurately reflect the disc's flight? Bwahahahahahaha
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment