Max Distance Driver with less glide to compare to Tern

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Max Distance Driver with less glide to compare to Tern

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm looking for a Max distance Driver to compare to a Tern.

I really really enjoy my Terns when I'm on with them,but sometimes I feel the Glide of these things hold my distance back because of how high they go when you hit it wrong. I feel if the Tern had less glide,lets say a 4 instead of a 6,you could probably get more distance with it. Am I wrong thinking that?

So I'm on the search for a disc to throw side by side with a Tern.

The only thing I can think of is a Nuke.

Anything else with less glide I could try?
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Max Distance Driver with less glide to compare to Tern

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Several, but most won't be understable molds like the Tern. Lack of stability and more glide tend to go together. What stretches distance and keeps a disc in the air longer, rather than fading out early? Turn, or more specifically turnover.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Several, but most won't be understable molds like the Tern. Lack of stability and more glide tend to go together. What stretches distance and keeps a disc in the air longer, rather than fading out early? Turn, or more specifically turnover.

Oh shoot I worded it wrong again. I knew about the turn making the disc go longer. I was just curious if discs like the Tern that has so much glide can actually kill it's distance potential on an not so good shot versus a disc with less glide with the similar bad shot.

Not sure if you have ever thrown one before,but when you hit it wrong with a Tern this disc will go very high. Beautiful flight when you hit it right though. That's why they stay in the bag is because of those shots.

Really the only reason I said Nuke is because it's numbers look to be controllable and it's Glide is the same as my PD's. My PD's are always in the 370ft to 390ft range more 370ft if I miss the drive a bit,but with the lack of glide they always stay lower to the ground. I'm thinking maybe the Nuke would be similar?

I do know the Nuke's rim is very bulky,been a while since I thrown one so the memory of it's feel isn't with me. I'll have to check one out at the local shop next time I'm in there.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:43 pm

Glide shouldn't be shortening distance under any circumstances. Nose up will, or the rare elevator effect can, as the disc lifts up quickly and loses momentum.

Maybe a Rogue or Surge SS? They should be pretty close to a champ Tern in stability. Not as fast and maybe a little less glide. Or even the Crank, like we've discussed before.

I don't know about the Nuke idea. That's a step up in speed, stability, and rim width.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Glide shouldn't be shortening distance under any circumstances. Nose up will, or the rare elevator effect can, as the disc lifts up quickly and loses momentum.

Maybe a Rogue or Surge SS? They should be pretty close to a champ Tern in stability. Not as fast and maybe a little less glide. Or even the Crank, like we've discussed before.

I don't know about the Nuke idea. That's a step up in speed, stability, and rim width.

That's probably what is going on then. I seem to hardly ever have Nose Up issues with my PD's,but it is very noticeable with the Tern,not so much the Star or G-Star(those feel great in the hand),but just the Champion. Champion has a dome,well pretty much every champion Tern I have held in my hand does,so if your grip isn't solid you can get those nose up issues as you said. I mean hey i really like the Champion Tern,it's just that dome gets in the way from time to time.

Sometimes I wish I could just find a faster PD that will cover all areas that the PD's plastics will cover. Yeah I wish right :D

Yeah the rim is pretty crazy wide on a Nuke. just read it's width. :o

I got to get in the bed man,work in the morning. I'll check back in tomorrow

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:28 pm

It seems like now you're not totally sold on the Tern after all. My champ Terns aren't domey, they both have a sleek shallow dome...ideal. But they're both proto stamped first runs.

"faster PD"?...oh, that opens up a bunch of options. Orc, Wraith, Surge, Sword, Trespass, DD, Force...

Whatever you decide, good luck.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 pm

The guestion is not about equipment it is about technique. Throw that Tern better every time. Nose up kills distance. Less glide refuces distance so your less gliding distance disc cannot be a maximum distance disc. So your demanding balls out disc became a punihing driver of not any more distance than your regular long driver. No gain just pain.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 am

UncleBrother2001 wrote:I'm looking for a Max distance Driver to compare to a Tern.

I really really enjoy my Terns when I'm on with them,but sometimes I feel the Glide of these things hold my distance back because of how high they go when you hit it wrong. I feel if the Tern had less glide,lets say a 4 instead of a 6,you could probably get more distance with it. Am I wrong thinking that?

So I'm on the search for a disc to throw side by side with a Tern.

The only thing I can think of is a Nuke.

Anything else with less glide I could try?

I don't really agree with your premise, as discs with higher rated glide are always the longest for me in a given speed, but if you are Nuke curious(The huge rim hurts my throws) X Nukes with lots of dome are really long and not nearly as overstable as the other plastics. Mine finishes straighter than any other max seed disc I've thrown. Even my Flippy Air King as more fade at the very end.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:44 am

Nukes have been made in a wide variety. FR ESP was the beefiest. Flat tops don't need to have much lower PLH at all than normal ESPs and Zs to flip like hell. My X has more fade than my Z and non FR ESPs. The X has a huge dome and the PLH looks like the same as with the Zs with normal dome and ESPs of post FR production. The flatter Nukes might have been an error that lead to Nuke SS though. Nuke OS is crazy beefy. All of the 5 Kings i have fade less than the Nukes i have. 2 VIPs in mid 160s one heavy, one heavy TP and one air and those last two flip like hell around as useless as the flat Nuke. Useless for other things than rollers and hyzer flips from steep angles to hard annies sky high.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 am

The X I picked out had lots of dome and lowest PLH of any other in store. Still not seen an understable one in Z or ESP. Not at my power anyway.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

PMantle wrote:The X I picked out had lots of dome and lowest PLH of any other in store. Still not seen an understable one in Z or ESP. Not at my power anyway.

I saw many similar flat ones at the store i got mine from and have stayed well clear ever since. Eugh! The difference between those flat Nukes and every other is as great as that between other Kings and high PLH domey VIPs that are great moderately fading slightly s-curving distance discs with much less power requirement than the Nukes. Or even Cranks and Terns. The good Kings are still the best entry level warp speeders that i have thrown enough to know how they work. But i have only one or two throws with a Slayer. That could be fine as an entry level warp speeder as well. It slammed the indoor hall wall at 330' flat. IIRC i might have gotten another slightly hyzered shot with fairly little fade. I have not thrown the new Westside discs. Other than the flatter high PLH World of the initial batch that are beefier than regular Bosses. Another Swedish manufactured disc that might be good for lesser powered players getting into warp speeders (no throws with one) is the new Kastaplast Rask. I heard it said that for the wing width it seemed faster so their invention might actually be working. It has a funky bottom of the flight plate. The flight was described as slightly understable by good players so it might be good entry level warp speeder. Especially for those who have trouble gripping the widest wings.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm

I set my new personal drive record last Sunday with my Air King 151. Super long for me when I nail it, but I just don't nail it often enough.

Oh, and I doubt I ever see a Rask, but here is what Allthingsdiskgolf had to say,

Overall, we’d rate the Kastaplast Rask at 13, 3.5, -0.25 to 0, 4 to 4.5. It requires some power to really get it up to speed and is a very stable flier. If you have a weaker arm, expect less turn and a little more fade. Bigger arms will be able to get it up to speed and see a full fight from the Rask.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I fixed my problem. I decided to try a 2 finger grip again and it helps keep the discs nose down. I can get some good hard rips out of my Champion Tern and they fly low now. Now my Champion Tern flies nice and stable. :D

I did however bag a Pro Destroyer just to mess around with for the meantime.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 am

UncleBrother2001 wrote: Now my Champion Tern flies nice and stable. :D

PMantle
Fairway Surgeon