Max Distance Driver with less glide to compare to Tern

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Max Distance Driver with less glide to compare to Tern

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:58 am

I have two, both are quite domey and both are quite overstable. I haven't put a lot of time into them yet to see how they wear in. I have high hopes but no results yet.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 pm

PMantle wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote: Now my Champion Tern flies nice and stable. :D

:D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:39 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:I have two, both are quite domey and both are quite overstable. I haven't put a lot of time into them yet to see how they wear in. I have high hopes but no results yet.

Now that I changed my grip back to a 2 finger grip you could say my Terns are now quite on the Stable side now. I can throw the Champs now hard and flat. It won't turn much at all and has a good healthy fade on the end.

All 3 of mine are a bit on the domey side,but nothing real crazy though.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

UncleBrother: The 2 finger power grip is resulting in less power than the 4 finger. But it should not make discs fly more stable, and any loss in distance should be negligible. The reason is increased spin. You should be getting more spin on your disc to compensate for any loss of raw power. It's a trade-off. Work on increasing snap and spin. Spin is what keeps a disc in the air, not power or speed.

Also, a 2 finger grip tends to result in an earlier release, mainly due to the disc's higher orientation in the hand(not as far down inside the palm). So you need to compensate for that too....meaning timing.

You still should be getting turn with a champ Tern, especially with a "hard flat" throw.

You're probably not going to like how your PD's fly now if the Tern is suddenly flying noticeably more stable for you.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:51 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:UncleBrother: The 2 finger power grip is resulting in less power than the 4 finger. But it should not make discs fly more stable, and any loss in distance should be negligible. The reason is increased spin. You should be getting more spin on your disc to compensate for any loss of raw power. It's a trade-off. Work on increasing snap and spin. Spin is what keeps a disc in the air, not power or speed.

Also, a 2 finger grip tends to result in an earlier release, mainly due to the disc's higher orientation in the hand(not as far down inside the palm). So you need to compensate for that too....meaning timing.

You still should be getting turn with a champ Tern, especially with a "hard flat" throw.

You're probably not going to like how your PD's fly now if the Tern is suddenly flying noticeably more stable for you.

I use to be nothing but 2 finger grip for the longest time,but wanted to throw 3 and 4 finger grips. Ended up developing some OAT on throws and some bad habits it seems. but wanted to stick with it. I see now that the 2 finger grip is what I should have stuck with. Hell I can even throw Midranges and Putters off the Tee with a 2 finger grip no problem.

You know when I threw my 2 finger grip I had some really good distance and never had this issue with nose up or one day throwing it far and then then the next time I throw it 30ft shorter.

I remember throwing Valkyries around 370ft to 380ft with my 2 finger grip.Use to love Hyzerflipping those bad boys. Heck I may even try them out again if the Beasts don't workout for me with the 2 finger grip.

It is slowly coming back to me though. I finally re figured out my angles and such with my Comets and Cyclones,so the rest should follow pretty easily after figuring those 2 discs out. Was throwing my Comets around 300ft to 315ft and they definitely felt much more workable. Cyclones were the same way.

PD's are for sure flying a bit more overstable,but that is fine. The good thing is going back to this grip will help my game a ton,I may have to use a few more molds(Valkyrie,Eagle and maybe a Beast).So my Snap and spin should come back to me in at least a month.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Oh, okay, didn't know you used the 2 finger a lot before. Thought it was just briefly when you hurt your hand.

4 to 3, very little changed, other than the pinky no longer creating drag on the release. But when I first tried the 2 finger, spin increased bigtime, which was causing discs/drives I was throwing to act more understable, not the opposite. Hyzer-flip is my default driving method.

It seems we're on the same page re the 2 finger power grip, so disregard some of those comments in my previous post. And good luck!
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Oh, okay, didn't know you used the 2 finger a lot before. Thought it was just briefly when you hurt your hand.

4 to 3, very little changed, other than the pinky no longer creating drag on the release. But when I first tried the 2 finger, spin increased bigtime, which was causing discs/drives I was throwing to act more understable, not the opposite. Hyzer-flip is my default driving method.

It seems we're on the same page re the 2 finger power grip, so disregard some of those comments in my previous post. And good luck!

It's cool man.

My hand was hurt for a while,forgot to mention that one too. :lol: Used the grip for around 5 years before the pain finally went away so I was getting pretty dang good with it.

And yes I was having discs turnover,but if they were to turnover it was so much easier to fix it the next time around.

I think the main reason why the Champion Tern is so Stable is where I haven't quite got my snap back yet with my 2 Finger grip. Once I get back in the swing of things I should be killing it with them. :D

Thanks for the luck man. :thumbup:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 am

I have a permanently busted arm. It was worse before and back then i had a lot of forearm muscle tension from just mild to negligible power in the four finger power grip. Using the two finger grip i got looser mucles and faster pulls with more snap. And distance. Putting the bottom of the disc to the outer joints of the fingers add more d. I see it repeatedly in d and radar confirmed higher speeds. Slips are an issue but after working out more and healing to being less hampered by the four finger grip the differences have seemed to gotten smaller. Ymmv.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:50 pm

2 finger grip for the win. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Unfortunately not so in freezing weather or annies in adverse conditions. For me and my bum arm anyway as i said ymmv. There sure is potential in a two finger grip and i try to use it as often as possible to reduce the rate at which i fatigue. Because i do not need to rip as hard as is needed with a four fingered grip. When the weather allows it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 pm

JR wrote:Unfortunately not so in freezing weather or annies in adverse conditions. For me and my bum arm anyway as i said ymmv. There sure is potential in a two finger grip and i try to use it as often as possible to reduce the rate at which i fatigue. Because i do not need to rip as hard as is needed with a four fingered grip. When the weather allows it.

Since i was getting so good at it before my hand healed I'm gonna go back with it for good. Like you said you don't need to rip it as hard to get the benefits from it. I use be more finesse than power. It seemed with those other grips I was always trying to power everything. I didn't really like that.

I think once I get use to it again my finesse throws will go as far or farther than my power throws. Time will tell though. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Control and accuracy increased for me with the 2 finger, no doubt. Spinning the disc vs hurtling it through the air.

The distance drop-off for me on max D drives was negligible, I might have lost 20-30 ft, and it may not even be related to the switch.

UncleBrother: Interesting how you and I can talk about the same stuff, same discs, same threads, and not be arguing at all. If we happen to disagree, we ask more questions, work out the info...productive, the way it should be.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Control and accuracy increased for me with the 2 finger, no doubt. Spinning the disc vs hurtling it through the air.

The distance drop-off for me on max D drives was negligible, I might have lost 20-30 ft, and it may not even be related to the switch.

UncleBrother: Interesting how you and I can talk about the same stuff, same discs, same threads, and not be arguing at all. If we happen to disagree, we ask more questions, work out the info...productive, the way it should be.

I can already tell my accuracy has increased since I've been using it again.Distance still needs to catch back up,but I'll eventually get there again. I say by the end of summer I'll have that distance back.

I agree. I like to have civilized conversations and it just works out better that way. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:18 pm

I switched to the 2 finger power grip a couple years ago, and have flirted with the 3 finger again at least twice...only because the grip is more secure. But, snap and spin decreased, had to adjust timing again so everything wasn't going to the right, lost some control regardless, and didn't get any distance back. I never liked the 4 finger, much less flexibility in the wrist and I feel the pinky adds nothing but drag.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:02 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:I switched to the 2 finger power grip a couple years ago, and have flirted with the 3 finger again at least twice...only because the grip is more secure. But, snap and spin decreased, had to adjust timing again so everything wasn't going to the right, lost some control regardless, and didn't get any distance back. I never liked the 4 finger, much less flexibility in the wrist and I feel the pinky adds nothing but drag.

Yeah I agree. I never liked the 4 finger grip much. I could get some pretty good distance,but not much accuracy.

I did however throw my Champion Tern about 390ft with the 2 finger grip today. It's starting to slowly come back to me. Soon i'll be breaking 400ft again. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment