Discraft Mantis

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discraft Mantis

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Could someone who has thrown a production run Mantis compare it to an Avenger or Avenger SS?
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Re: Discraft Mantis

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:00 am

If our Hastings ever stocks them I will get one. I lost one of my two Ace Race discs, and I'd like to see for myself how the production run flies considering where Discraft placed it on their chart. Hastings seems really slow to add new stuff though. Still no Crank nor any of the new discs in X.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 pm

I've heard it is more across the lines of a faster Zombee. So someone with a good arm could probably get it to 340ft to 350ft?

It does however feel pretty darn good in the hand. I felt one of the Big Z Mantis. It was like butter in the hand.

In my opinion from just feeling the disc it feels like it would be slightly understable due to how the rim felt. Probably would be a great Hyzerflip Fairway Driver.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Samble » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Ooohh, Mantis! I like that. I want you to call me that from now on.
Samble
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rhyno

Postby voyager4520 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 am

Mine is a BigZ and I'd say the turn is probably between -1.5 and -1 and the fade is 1. I've thrown a good variety and I can't think of anything with a similar flight path. A Leopard supposedly has -2 turn and 1 fade as some say the current Mantis does, but the Mantis is more stable than a Leopard. An Axiom Crave also supposedly has the same flight numbers but I'd say it has similar turn to the Mantis(less turn than a Leopard) but a decent amount more fade than the Mantis.
voyager4520
Noob

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Postby Stringbean » Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 am

I have a 150 gram Z Mantis. I agree with Voyager that the Mantis is more stable than a Leopard, but probably a little more fade. I'd say -1, 2.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 pm

I own one more than usual hss and lss Leo that does not turn in calm conditions but us very speed stable. It fades about like a Stalker but is as long when normally Leos are longer. No experience with the Mantis. That odd Leo is hss 0 lss 2.5 to 3. I have a flippier than normal Star that is tackier grey blue swirled hss -2.5 lss 1.

How does the Mantis compare distance wise to the XL and the Stalker?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Thu May 22, 2014 7:01 am

My Manti(?) were into and back out of the bag pretty quickly. The flight path was very workable, and about 50% of the time, I was very happy with the really straight lines. Unfortunately, the eased/radiused edge on the bottom of the rim gave me fits for a consistent release. I went back to throwing a worn ESP Avenger for those shots. I base my experience on my personal shortcomings, as I have seen other players throw the Mantis REALLY well. Just one of those things....

@JR- Max Weight Z Mantis was more HSS than XL to me. It was less HSS than most Stalkers. I was able to get the Mantis over 400' with a tailwind, as they have seemingly endless glide if you can get them up high enough and on plane.

KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby ELItheICEman » Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 am

Has anyone thrown an Ace Race disc and a Mantis yet? I'm interested in the comparison as well.
ELItheICEman
Noob

Return to Equipment