Abandoning the Orc. Need help choosing new disc.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Abandoning the Orc. Need help choosing new disc.

Postby Stevie.Ray » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:14 am

It's an all par 3 course in Saskatoon, SK. Someone put up some homemade distance signs, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Each hole is about 275-350 feet, with one hole maybe around 225. I aced one of the longer ones. At sometime this summer I'll probably get a slower disk for some of the shorter holes. I never realized how technical the sport could be
Stevie.Ray
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Dart

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 am

Try a fairway driver or even a midrange on the holes under 300 ft, see what you think. Think of it like golf, different clubs for different length shots. A golfer isn't going to use a driver to the green at a shorter distance, but will use a shorter club to loft the ball onto the green and have it stay on the green, leaving a chance at sinking the putt.

The shorter the distance, the slower the disc.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:13 pm

I know you said your shop had a limited selection, but if you can, beg, borrow, or steal a Trident (OK don't steal one, but you get the idea). For the shorter course layout you describe, I think you'd really like it. It's short by driver standards, but super controllable and killer in the wind. If Innova is the only choice, a champ Banshee would be money as well. Both the discs I referenced will fade hard, especially if thrown too high. They are both a lot more overstable than the suggestions so far. From what you've said, though, I think either one would work for you if your goal is a great headwind driver.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 pm

I think he liked the Orc until his DX lost a ton of stability over time. He can definitely use a headwind driver though, it's a must have.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 11, 2014 10:45 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:I don't know, a couple tree hits or hard landings, and the stuff is instantly worthless. Good for putters though...
Putters, mids and TB/Eagle level drivers for me. A good one can easily last a season while being useful, and many DX blends take surprisingly well to tuning them back into action. I've actually had a problem with my D-MD2s that I can't beat them understable enough as fast as I'd want. Not even when bashing trees continuously. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Previous

Return to Equipment