Core Confusion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Core Confusion

Postby RebelZero » Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 am

Last summer my wife and I went to see my parents in Clearwater. While there I visited the magical palace that is the Clearwater Disc Golf Store. Several times. Honestly, every day until everyone was sick of me.

In this heavenly place of precious plastic, I picked up the Pain/Core/Fuse combo because my town only sells Innova and Discraft and I'd heard great things about Lat 64. I've been playing with them ever since and am quite happy with the set up. However, I've noticed that the overwhelming opinion here is that the Core is a little less HSS than the Buzzz, which it replaced in my bag. Also, that it's a touch more squirrely, not as stable or overall reliable.

I have to say, I haven't found this to be true. I threw Buzzzes for years and loved them so I was skeptical about the GL Core taking over that spot. But it did. It handles every shot the Buzzz did and more. It shapes better lines and goes farther. It seems to be just as stable and reliable as my old friends. Joe's flight chart lists the Core as a touch MORE HSS than the Buzzz, as does the guide at In Bounds.

It's true I'm not a power thrower. I'm putting midranges out to about 300', 330' on a good day. But do I just have a weird Core or do others out there find theirs are just as stable and predictable as a Buzzz?
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Core Confusion

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:36 am

There are a LOT of superb midrange discs besides the Buzzz.

Depends on the Core, depends on the Buzzz. Although a GL Core shouldn't be more HSS than anything but maybe a Pro D Buzzz.

Never liked the Pain...glidey fade, no thanks!
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JTdisc » Sat May 03, 2014 7:41 pm

The Core and Buzzz are in the same ballpark stability-wise. I can definitely get a lot of lines out of my Core. I can certainly understand liking one better than the other. Like BentElbow said, it depends on the Core, depends on the Buzzz and also, it depends on the individual player. I personally stopped throwing the Buzzz when I got the Core. I eventually moved to a Truth, but I still put the Core in the bag from time to time.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby Working Stiff » Sat May 03, 2014 9:52 pm

In general I think a Z Buzzz (which is what I see most people using) is going to have more fade than a GL Core, but the Core isn't what I'd call "squirrely." Cores are more comparable to a Buzzz SS than a Buzzz IMO. I like Cores more than I like the Buzzz because they are longer than a Buzzz for me and more versatile (I can get one over on an anny line.) It is a bit more of a "touch disc" so if you want to torque monkey on your mid it's not a great choice. The main reason I don't bag a Core is becasue I have to pair it with something in the wind; I couldn't get the Core to behave in a strong wind to save my life. You have a Pain so that is a non-issue.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:10 pm

The reason you see so many Buzzz is because Discraft offers it in 6 plastics, and perhaps more importantly, it's been included in Discraft beginner sets for awhile now. Oh, and they promote it like the best thing since electricity. Ignorance must be bliss. But there's hope! How many different newer mids have been described with the words "never thought it would replace my Buzzz, but..."
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Sun May 04, 2014 7:27 am

I never took to the Buzzz. It's a low-line one trick pony for the way I throw.

I think the popularity there was from a couple of things. One is that Innova left the Champ Roc as a USDGC fundraiser. That left the Z Buzzz/Wasp as the best option for a Candy plastic mid for a long time. The other part is that you throw a Buzzz hard and on a low line like you throw a driver. Rocs and Comets you throw on a higher line and you throw it more like a putter. Back in the day a beaded mid you threw like a putter was just the ticket, but you had a whole new generation of players that learned to play flicking a Champ Beast. The Buzzz I think just translated better to how they wanted to throw, and they liked the beadless feature VS the beaded Wasp becasue they leaned to throw with beadless drivers. The Buzzz was the right disc at the right time and managed to become the "it" midrange. Discraft of course hypes the living Hell out of them now, but that wasn't what made it the "it" midrange.

Now there are more companies and more discs, so it's really hard to say there is one disc in any segment that EVERYBODY should throw. To limit the mdrange conversation to the tired old Roc/Buzzz argument leaves out a lot of very, very good discs.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Sun May 04, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:58 am

Well said. I like the Buzzz, it's a superb midrange, but there are now many others that are at least as good.

I'm throwing a Z Wasp...and count me impressed! Love the glide for an OS mid, fade comes very late under power, and these things are LONG on a full throw. For approach, lots of control and as it fades it tends to lose its glide quickly and sit down instead of fading away to oblivion. Flex shots through the woods work very well with this disc, you can flatten it out but it will still come back. Very accurate on various lines.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby RebelZero » Sun May 04, 2014 3:19 pm

I agree, well said, everyone. Some good points here and I see no real reason to put the Buzzz back in my bag. Someone mentioned it was a low line, one trick pony for them and that's what it's always been for me. I threw it because Rocs came in too many iterations for me to keep straight. Also, as previously said, Discraft hypes the ever-loving hell out of these things and pretty much insists we all need one. Overall, I like Rocs better and would prefer only Rocs as my mids to minimize molds but my home course (Veteran's Park in Lexington, KY - come play) is heavily wooded and I destroy DX versions. I don't have time to learn all the various Rocs, plastics, stabilities, etc so the Core works for me. Although I may go back to the Z Wasp instead of the Pain. As BentElbow said, it's pretty amazing.
RebelZero
Noob

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:55 pm

I could get by with just my Z Wasp throwing it on different lines, it's that versatile. But, I do like to have an understable or neutral mid for dead straight shots start to finish. I'm not a long time Wasp thrower and was surprised by how straight it can be with a very late fade.

Can't figure why there are so many Wasp haters. Hornet over Wasp? eeeugh!

Wasp is Buzzz with a bead. Translation: Buzzz which can handle power better and also better in the wind. What's not to like?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun May 04, 2014 8:30 pm

RebelZero wrote:I agree, well said, everyone. Some good points here and I see no real reason to put the Buzzz back in my bag. Someone mentioned it was a low line, one trick pony for them and that's what it's always been for me. I threw it because Rocs came in too many iterations for me to keep straight. Also, as previously said, Discraft hypes the ever-loving hell out of these things and pretty much insists we all need one. Overall, I like Rocs better and would prefer only Rocs as my mids to minimize molds but my home course (Veteran's Park in Lexington, KY - come play) is heavily wooded and I destroy DX versions. I don't have time to learn all the various Rocs, plastics, stabilities, etc so the Core works for me. Although I may go back to the Z Wasp instead of the Pain. As BentElbow said, it's pretty amazing.

Buzzes vary too as much as the Roc variants. I have a nasty long lung inflammation and so i have not bought a Truth that has replaced Buzzes for many.

When you have enough power for the Buzz even in Z it is not a one trick pony any more. They flip fast and move fast sideways which makes it way worse as a finesse placement disc with small sideways variations per anny angle degree and superior in tight right turns that need to go far right vs the Roc. An Atlas can be a Buzz kill if the grip is not ruined by the joint between the plastics. Tangent is crazy straight and is almost or as good in the wind as Z Buzzes. But there are more wind tolerant Buzzes than Z in the most OS Tis and normally in Glo Z. Those most OS Buzzes are about as good as the Wasp i have.

For me the it factor of the Buzz comes from the high HSS allowing it to be mashed like a driver even on low lines without fear of flipping and not fading much at all on those low lines and the grip being so easy that it does not threaten clean releases like the bead does for my non shovel sized hand. Ease and reliability of a hard straight shots that are not threatened as much by the tree branches. We have lots of trees here. Wasp is so HSS that the bead seems to be a non issue and the thinner Tangent is great ease of clean release wise too.

We are so lucky these days having so many outstanding mids that everyone should be able to find a sweetheart mid.

Cores varied early on so i dithced them when they were new. Mine flipped like X Buzzes and flew pretty much the same only a hair glidier and farther IIRC from so much time back. I gave mine to a school years ago.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 pm

JR wrote:
RebelZero wrote:I agree, well said, everyone. Some good points here and I see no real reason to put the Buzzz back in my bag. Someone mentioned it was a low line, one trick pony for them and that's what it's always been for me. I threw it because Rocs came in too many iterations for me to keep straight. Also, as previously said, Discraft hypes the ever-loving hell out of these things and pretty much insists we all need one. Overall, I like Rocs better and would prefer only Rocs as my mids to minimize molds but my home course (Veteran's Park in Lexington, KY - come play) is heavily wooded and I destroy DX versions. I don't have time to learn all the various Rocs, plastics, stabilities, etc so the Core works for me. Although I may go back to the Z Wasp instead of the Pain. As BentElbow said, it's pretty amazing.

Buzzes vary too as much as the Roc variants. I have a nasty long lung inflammation and so i have not bought a Truth that has replaced Buzzes for many.

When you have enough power for the Buzz even in Z it is not a one trick pony any more. They flip fast and move fast sideways which makes it way worse as a finesse placement disc with small sideways variations per anny angle degree and superior in tight right turns that need to go far right vs the Roc. An Atlas can be a Buzz kill if the grip is not ruined by the joint between the plastics. Tangent is crazy straight and is almost or as good in the wind as Z Buzzes. But there are more wind tolerant Buzzes than Z in the most OS Tis and normally in Glo Z. Those most OS Buzzes are about as good as the Wasp i have.

For me the it factor of the Buzz comes from the high HSS allowing it to be mashed like a driver even on low lines without fear of flipping and not fading much at all on those low lines and the grip being so easy that it does not threaten clean releases like the bead does for my non shovel sized hand. Ease and reliability of a hard straight shots that are not threatened as much by the tree branches. We have lots of trees here. Wasp is so HSS that the bead seems to be a non issue and the thinner Tangent is great ease of clean release wise too.

We are so lucky these days having so many outstanding mids that everyone should be able to find a sweetheart mid.

Cores varied early on so i dithced them when they were new. Mine flipped like X Buzzes and flew pretty much the same only a hair glidier and farther IIRC from so much time back. I gave mine to a school years ago.

I certainly agree with everything said here.

Re beads, I generally don't mind them and I don't even notice it on the Wasp...or my Voodoos. On some other discs, like the Spider, I hate it. I guess it depends on how much of a bead and how much it intrudes on grip/release.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:14 pm

:wave:

Dynamic Discs Truth is a Buzzz on Steroids and is longer and better 8) . I use Rocs to cover my shorter shots now. Just wanted to say that. :D
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JTdisc » Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 am

UncleBrother2001 wrote:Dynamic Discs Truth is a Buzzz on Steroids and is longer and better 8) . I use Rocs to cover my shorter shots now. Just wanted to say that. :D

Stop saying things like this. It's getting harder and harder to find Truths in the colors and weights I want.

Truth is a terrible disc! Don't buy Truths! Trade them to me instead.

:D
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby Jeronimo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 am

I'd have to see what Core you bought. Each run has had its own unique identity so far...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby RebelZero » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Damn. It sounds like I need one of these Truth contraptions.
RebelZero
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment