Low fade midranges

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Low fade midranges

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Kdg wrote:I think it's the flat one. If i don't like it i will give mako3 a try. It also felt good in hand.

Hey man. Just curious to which one you liked better.

One other thing I forgot to mention about a (MD2)Fiend is that it can be forehanded very nicely.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Kdg » Thu May 08, 2014 2:57 am

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
Kdg wrote:I think it's the flat one. If i don't like it i will give mako3 a try. It also felt good in hand.

One other thing I forgot to mention about a (MD2)Fiend is that it can be forehanded very nicely.

Do you mean which one i liked better flat or domey or do you mean MD2 or Mako3.
Kdg
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discspeed » Thu May 08, 2014 6:28 am

It's hard to find a mid with a modest fade that still has good HSS. Hyzer flipping an understable mid can give you a variety of non-fading shots. If you want good HSS and low LSS the Tangent is the best there is.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Kdg wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:

Do you mean which one i liked better flat or domey or do you mean MD2 or Mako3.

My apologies, I should have been more clear.

I meant to say which make of disc did you like better,Mako or MD2?
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Kdg » Fri May 09, 2014 5:07 am

i haven't tried mako3 yeat but i had echo star mako and i didn't like it because it was too domey. I think mako3 will be better.
Kdg
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discspeed » Fri May 09, 2014 6:43 am

andrew wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:You could maybe try a Mako. I heard it was an attempt by Innova to make a Comet. It is really straight with a very light fade at the end

Funny thing is Comet was Discraft's attempt to copy a Roc, but has more turn and less fade (sorry this site is so dead I forgot the DGR slang for saying the same thing.) That is what I'd recommend trying out, in Z plastic. I use a Fuse for that slot, however, which is faster than a Comet and more of a line-holder than a line-shaper like Rocs and Comets.

The Comet came out during the Ontario Roc's tenure and is much more comparable to that than the Rancho or it's variants.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Kdg wrote:i haven't tried mako3 yeat but i had echo star mako and i didn't like it because it was too domey. I think mako3 will be better.

I've tried the Mako 3 and it's a nice mid, and as advertised. The plastic is sweet! And they are mostly flat, with maybe a very small amount of dome. Does the job it was designed for, as in very straight w/minimal fade.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm

andrew wrote:Funny thing is Comet was Discraft's attempt to copy a Roc, but has more turn and less fade (sorry this site is so dead I forgot the DGR slang for saying the same thing.) That is what I'd recommend trying out, in Z plastic. I use a Fuse for that slot, however, which is faster than a Comet and more of a line-holder than a line-shaper like Rocs and Comets.
Turn in a Comet? What is this sorcery?! =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 11, 2014 10:10 pm

discspeed wrote:It's hard to find a mid with a modest fade that still has good HSS. Hyzer flipping an understable mid can give you a variety of non-fading shots. If you want good HSS and low LSS the Tangent is the best there is.
I'd put fresh and little thrown D-MD2s and seasoned C-MD2s right up there as well. I do like the Tangent but the MD2s are just so bitchin' I can't stop throwing them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Yig » Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 am

BentElbow11 wrote:Mako 3 is superior to the Mako...better plastic and less dome.

I like my Champ Mako3(171g) better than my Star Mako(165g), but mine are the opposite of what you describe. My Mako is super flat while my Mako3 is not. I wouldn't call my Champ Mako3 super domey, but it certainly has a dome to it whereas my Star Mako is super flat.

My Star Mako is easier to flip than my Champ Mako3 when I give em some gas. I find that my Mako3 is more stable, it kinda seems to fight any kind of hyzer/anhyzer I try to put on it, although it will do it. Hard to explain, it's like I'm forcing the disc to do it.

My Mako is more touchy than the Mako3. However, I have used the Mako for quite some time longer than the Mako3 , and have used it BH, FH, Tommy, whereas I only throw the Mako3 BH.

IMO, the Champ Mako3 I have is better for driving from the tee or long mid shots BH , although my Star Mako is more of a workhorse.

I don't carry the Star Mako in my bag anymore, for mids I carry the Mako3 and an old Champion Cobra (165g) that's super flat topped . I use the Cobra as a workhorse. It does all the Star Mako did, is less touchy , and has a bit more fade at the end.

So I basically use the Mako3 for 250' and under drives/upshots that need to be straight, and the Champ Cobra for any (most) of my other short shots.

........................Blake
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Postby JR » Wed May 14, 2014 7:40 pm

My Mako is not flat but the dome height is low. No experience with the Mako3. The Mako i have flips at full power and fades about the same as the Coyote being shorter so i have no use for it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 am

Yig wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:Mako 3 is superior to the Mako...better plastic and less dome.

I like my Champ Mako3(171g) better than my Star Mako(165g), but mine are the opposite of what you describe. My Mako is super flat while my Mako3 is not. I wouldn't call my Champ Mako3 super domey, but it certainly has a dome to it whereas my Star Mako is super flat.

My Star Mako is easier to flip than my Champ Mako3 when I give em some gas. I find that my Mako3 is more stable, it kinda seems to fight any kind of hyzer/anhyzer I try to put on it, although it will do it. Hard to explain, it's like I'm forcing the disc to do it.

My Mako is more touchy than the Mako3. However, I have used the Mako for quite some time longer than the Mako3 , and have used it BH, FH, Tommy, whereas I only throw the Mako3 BH.

IMO, the Champ Mako3 I have is better for driving from the tee or long mid shots BH , although my Star Mako is more of a workhorse.

I don't carry the Star Mako in my bag anymore, for mids I carry the Mako3 and an old Champion Cobra (165g) that's super flat topped . I use the Cobra as a workhorse. It does all the Star Mako did, is less touchy , and has a bit more fade at the end.

So I basically use the Mako3 for 250' and under drives/upshots that need to be straight, and the Champ Cobra for any (most) of my other short shots.

........................Blake

You must have an early run Star Mako. I've seen newer Star Mako's in stores and they have huge dome, they look like a Dart. Mako throwers were complaining about this for years, before the Mako 3 came out and varies from flat to a very moderate amount of dome.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby Yig » Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
You must have an early run Star Mako. I've seen newer Star Mako's in stores and they have huge dome, they look like a Dart. Mako throwers were complaining about this for years, before the Mako 3 came out and varies from flat to a very moderate amount of dome.

I think that I bought my Star Mako when they very first came out. I was waiting for them to be released. It's not a proto stamp or anything like that, just standard Star Mako stamp.

My bro in law has a Dart, just picked it up a few weeks back, champ plastic. My Mako3 doesn't have quite as much dome as his Dart.

He loves that Dart, it is what I would call a workhorse/utility disc , and it has minimal fade. I played a round with it, it seems very neutral, is happy to shape anny or hyzer lines . My main issue with it is If I give it some gas it wants to flip up/anny on me. I suppose I could just counter with some hyzer, but I didn't play with it long enough to bother. Seems like a good enough disc.

Did I mention he loves that Dart ? It has all but replaced his Mako3. He still bags the Mako3, but he rarely uses it now that he has the Dart.

.....................Blake
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Postby JR » Thu May 15, 2014 8:40 pm

My Mako has a way lower top than a Dart.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Sat May 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Only thing I can add is a Gauge
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!