Low fade midranges

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Low fade midranges

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34 pm

The Aurora MS was always my no-fade mid.

*is old*

*is so old that it took me three weeks to remember my login*

*is posting in a dead thread that I meant to post in three weeks ago when I couldn't remember my login*

*doesn't think anyone will ever see this anyway*
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby coppertop » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:51 am

You have not posted in vain!
I have a friend who uses a QMS for his min-range, no-fade go-to disc. He is very accurate with it.
I don't really have a guaranteed no-fade mid, but it's probably poor technique on my part. If it absolutely must land straight, I'll throw a putter (aviar, wariock or warden). If it has to go farther and must land straight, it's an iffy shot for me, but I'll use either my mystic or my Fuse. I really need to spend more time in the field getting adjusted to those two...
coppertop
Noob

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 am

Working Stiff wrote:The Aurora MS was always my no-fade mid.

*is old*

*is so old that it took me three weeks to remember my login*

*is posting in a dead thread that I meant to post in three weeks ago when I couldn't remember my login*

*doesn't think anyone will ever see this anyway*

I see it. :D

Not sure if I count though. :lol:
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Yig » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 am

Not that old of a thread, and still relevant.

:shock: I'm still watching. . . . .

Just picked up a Warship. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I'll letcha know if it fits in this category.

...................Blake
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Postby Yig » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:43 am

coppertop wrote:You have not posted in vain!
I have a friend who uses a QMS for his min-range, no-fade go-to disc. He is very accurate with it.
I don't really have a guaranteed no-fade mid, but it's probably poor technique on my part. If it absolutely must land straight, I'll throw a putter (aviar, wariock or warden). If it has to go farther and must land straight, it's an iffy shot for me, but I'll use either my mystic or my Fuse. I really need to spend more time in the field getting adjusted to those two...

Agreed on the use of putters. I use an Innova Birdie and it is pretty sweet. It goes straight. I know the "Lid" style putters aren't for everyone, but it does what it does quite well.

As far as straight/no fade mids go, I find if I don't throw them hard enough that they fade , or fade harder than when I throw them hard. Could be an issue with not enough spin/snap ???

My Mako and Mako3 are both straight liners , all the way to the ground as long as I throw them with gusto. Driving, long mid shots , etc that require a good hard throw they do exactly what they're supposed to. If I try a softer "touch" shot they will fade out on me.

I think it's more of using the disc for it's intended purpose. Just like you wouldn't use a distance driver as a mid , you shouldn't expect a mid to perform like a putter.

Just my opinion.

.......................Blake
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Postby coppertop » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Yes, on using a disc for it's intended purpose, and double yes on throwing midranges with gusto. It continues to be interesting to me to experiment with different discs, looking for overlap, looking for the breadth of application that a single disc (not mold) can cover. If I'm smart, I work that out in the field so when I have that shot that I could cover with several different discs in my bag, I can pull the one that gives me the best opportunity for success on the shot.
Both the Mystic and the Fuse are considered understable, and if I put too much on them, they do turn. But when I get it right, they are both soooo straight.
coppertop
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:58 am

Good post regarding the Aurora MS... the seasoned QMS that I had was dead straight with power. The unique part was that it had very little fade on touch shots as well, including 30 foot stalls.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:08 pm

A long long time ago, on a website not so different from this, Comets were much espoused to be the ideal disc for diagnosing flaws in your form. My experience has been that any neutral flying disc can be manipulated in a number of ways. I never fell in love with Comets, personally, but can appreciate the idea of using such a disc as a teaching aid. Depending on your range with certain discs, it is important to be able to throw your stuff at multiple power levels. The more you progress with your game, the more decisions you will have to make, and being able to manipulate one mold to do multiple things can open up a lot of options. For me, the Meteor is one of the best examples. I can throw it at different speeds and achieve wildly different flight paths. They also have a great lot of glide, which can be beneficial to newer players. The more I play, the easier I want to throw, and Meteors fill a useful role for me. If you can find a used one, and concentrate on a clean release, it may be just the ticket. The Cryztal ones seem to be the most overstable, then Z, then ESP, from my experience. I haven't thrown the GLO version yet. Carry on.

KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:31 pm

I'll throw out the MD2 again: Three times today I slightly messed up a shot because they didn't fade even that little bit I was expecting them to.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:25 am

You left out the standard disclaimer of that applying to only pline and not when new. A flat c line fades hard under powered and late but fairly much after the onset on low lines and plenty on high lines.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 pm

Actually I was referring to D and C-Lines, and one of the throws was a new flat gummy C that had been thrown maybe 6 times total so far. Air it out and yeah, it'll fade, but not on a low line. Plus overall if one is looking for a true neutral disc, I think looking for such a thing in a new one is fairly ridiculous, because it won't stay there for long. The best neutral discs in the long run are the ones that start out a bit on the overstable side.

The last P-Lines I actually threw weren't even that straight, they had much more of an S-curve flight to them. For out of the box straightness I'd go with a light D-MD2. And actually that's what I indeed do.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 pm

No experience with a D or a gummy C. My flat C (musician joke place?) was of regular stiffness and that does indeed fade hard in the end and requires a lot of power. The fade does kick in late though on low lines at power. I've encountered two differently HSS P-lines of which the other did indeed flip and fade and the other flipped only a couple of degrees fading way less than the stiffer flat C MD2. No idea about the run evolution, material changes and individual disc difference regularity and amounts across all plastics in MD2s. Unfortunately(/fortunately if you need variety and can recognize the needed stabilities by sight in local shops) there are so many different kind of flights in MD2s that saying the mold produces low fade discs is misleading. The variances range from headwind straight disc to calm weather understable discs with some of them being straight and others s-curvers in calm winds. So the blanket statement of the low fadedness of the MD2 is not helpful for the uninitiated. They would likely gain a good disc but not necessarily one for the role they were thinking of. Kinda like the PDs. Covering about the whole spectrum of stabilities for their speed and distance given some wear for the most understable roles.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 am

If the non-gummy flat Cs fade hard, then admittedly it's a bad recommendation. But I've yet to see a D-Line that didn't have very low fade when starting out (damn I love those discs, and once worn for a few months they become incredibly good understable mids as well), and the new S-Lines I've seen have also all had very low amount of fade (not saying that there can't be other kinds out there, but I've yet to see one). The flat gummy Cs are legendary by now. You can get a variety of flights from any and all disc molds, but I'd still put the MD2 firmly in the low fade true neutral camp, when it's only (apparently) two specific kinds that don't have that kind of flight: Stiff flat Cs being overstable and some P-Lines being lower HSS.

Need to find me some of those stiff C-lines then, an overstable MD2 sounds intriguing as an option for some holes. If it's overstable enough it might even get the Vector out of my bag, filling another slot with DM plastic.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Stringbean » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:01 am

Have you tried the new QMS? They are pretty overstable, not straight with heavy fade but more of a gradual hyzer line.

I wasn't a fan at first, I don't like the JL plastic and they were too overstable for my needs. I tried trading/selling them but no interest. So I decided to beat them up with field plastic to see how they break in.

The plastic is starting to lose that slick oily feel and they are gradually straightening out. The postiive with this new mold is they don't have that sharp edge on the bottom of the rim. Plus they are a bit faster... definitely will be going in the bag after they straighten out a little more.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Good to know about the s md2. The d breaking in to start turning in two months can be too quick for my taste unless the turn is only 1-3 degrees and stabilizes there. Still i prefer no flip at all.

The stiff flat c md2 is not Vector type os. It really is a Jekyll and Hyde disc depending on power and height. It is more like a z Buzz in calm conditions and more hss not turning in headwinds until they are strong. The difference in fade is a later more abrupt with the md2 on low lines. And depending on the height and power can be earlier and in every case much much harder yet less than with the early Vectors i tried. So the md2 is not as consistent thus easy to throw to different heights than the z Buzz.

My findings are just initial but the lucid Truth has seemed promising for the straight role and the n Axis powered is tasty as well and they each compete for the same spot. It comes to tadte grip and wind conditions which is best. The Axis has more fade than some md2s but the little brother Tangent is just shit hot for straight shots so i think the n Axis is designed to have more fade. It is pretty close in fade to stiff flat c md2s on low lines and not as harsh in fading higher up.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment