Fill My Bag (Newbie needs help choosing discs)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fill My Bag (Newbie needs help choosing discs)

Postby cmdj1982 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Hey all. I was introduced to the game of Disc Golf last summer and am totally hooked on it! I currently own 6 discs, and am looking to make a big splash by purchasing a bag and another 12 discs online. The only thing is, I'm not exactly sure the best route to take and am looking for some advice on what I should include in my purchase.

Here's what I currently own:

(All Innova, Champion plastic, all 175g)
2x Boss
2x Teebird
2x Aviar

Initially I just bought 2 sets of Driver/Fairway/Putter for myself and someone else to play, but it's already becoming too little for even just myself to utilize. I go out to an open field for driving range practice, and I quickly realize I don't have enough discs. The putters are really no use to me for driving practice, and that just leaves 4 discs for me to use (which are used up very quickly). I am quickly realizing that my skill-level is going to require more practice, and more practice requires more discs. This is what I currently had in an online Shopping Cart, but then realized (thankfully before I checked out), that perhaps I'm being a bit too short-sighted in my disc selection:

(Innova, GStar, 175g)
2x Boss
2x Teebird
2x Aviar

(Discraft)
2x Avenger SS (173-174g, 1x Z, 1x ESP)
2x Buzzz (175-180g's, 1x Z, 1x ESP)
2x Magnet (175-176g)

This would have provided me with 6 sets of drivers/fairways/putters in 4 different kinds of plastics. However, I thought to myself, I may be being incredibly short-sighted here as there are many discs out there with other attributes that could serve well in special situations outside the norm and I am looking to gauge some expertise on this issue before making a $200+ purchase with relatively very little knowledge of the discs that are available to me.

Should I get discs that are varying in weight rather than getting them all around the 175g mark? I currently average a mediocre 185-190ft drive with the current drivers I have at 175g (though I have a feeling that's mostly due to not having mastered a proper form/swing yet). Should I consider different brands or different discs within the brands I'm looking at? I'm very happy with the Innova discs so far and definitely want to try out the new GStar plastic. I'm buying a bigger bag that holds about 18-20 discs (which will be much better for driving/practice), but the last thing I want to do is to get really used to the game and then realize (down the road) that I've made a very un-diverse selection in my choices and then have to go and purchase the discs I'll really need/want later on down the road anyways...

Thoughts/comments? Any help/advice is appreciated :)

PS. I live in the Canadian Prairies, so buying discs that are resilient to the elements are important to me as well (which I've heard the GStar is better than the average disc for), so please keep that in mind with your recommendations.
cmdj1982
Noob

Re: Fill My Bag (Newbie needs help choosing discs)

Postby JTdisc » Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 am

A few points on practicing:

1. Practice driving with your putters. Putters are great for showing you flaws in your form. If you are trying to get better and perfect your form, keep trying for nice smooth drives with a putter.

2. I find when practicing it's best not to throw a lot of discs at once. Rather, throw a few, pick them up, and throw again. Too many consecutive throws can tire your arm out faster than throws with a little rest in between.

About purchasing discs:

A. You don't own any mid-range discs. You definitely need a mid or two. Pick up a Roc, Roc3, Shark, Shark3, or Buzzz.

B. Before buying, look at the flight charts at Inbounds disc golf. You can do an internet search for "inbounds inflight guide" and it will bring it up.

C. There's no point in having 4 copies of the Aviar, Teebird, and Boss. Two is plenty already. Instead get some different discs to see how they compare and to cover more lines.

D. Stick with max weight 175g for mid ranges and putters. For drivers, get discs in the 160s, particularly low 160s for the faster discs.

E. The Boss could be too fast of a disc for you at this stage, and the Teebird should go just as far or farther and be easier to control. No point in buying any more high speed drivers right now (you already have two if you need them down the road).

F. Pick up an Innova Leopard. It's a good understable disc that compliments the Teebird well.

G. An Innova Valkyrie is a good first distance driver.

H. I don't see much point in buying Magnets. You already have two good putters with the Aviar, stick with those. I also wouldn't buy any Gstar Aviars, stick with the two you have.

I. G star is brand new and it feels nice in cold weather, but it hasn't been around long and we don't know how long these last or how quickly they beat in. I don't see much point in buying quadruplicates of discs you already own just to have them in Gstar plastic.

J. If you want to try some Discraft discs, pick up a Buzzz midrange and a Stalker fairway driver.

In summary, I think having 6 sets of discs is pretty redundant and not the best use of your money. Get a variety of different discs and see how they fly and which ones you like. Avoid high speed drivers. You'll get better distance with mids and slower fairway drivers. Discs I'd most recommend are a Shark3 midrange, Discraft Z Buzzz midrange, Innova Leopard, Discraft Stalker, Innova Valkyrie. Keep throwing putter drives for practice.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby KRooster » Thu May 08, 2014 2:26 pm

I basically agree with JTdisc for the most part. Boss is something most people will never have the arm for, the only time I've seen that disc go straight is when someone was throwing it 420ft. DEFINITELY stay away from max weight drivers in general, and stay away from premium plastic since it's significantly more overstablee. And I might go lighter than 175g even for mids.

Some drivers I'd recommend:
Lat64 Diamond
DX Leopard
X Xpress

Mids:
D Buzzz
DX Shark
DX Stingray
Stratus

Putters:
Whatever feels comfortable.

Definitely do at least some driving practice with putters, and a lot with mids too. Drivers (especially faster drivers) mask poor form, so you sometimes have no way of knowing if a throw was smooth (and a throw that's not smooth loses power). Putters will wobble out of the hand to let you know that there's a form issue, although putters with a deep rim can sometimes catch on your grip and wobble a small amount even with good form, depending on your grip.

The Latitude64 Diamond is an amazing disc for beginners, probably the longest beginner friendly driver I've seen.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:37 pm

I've been playing for about 15 years and I wished I had the knowledge when I first started that I have now.

Having these forums is good for you since a lot of us has been playing for a while.Most have pretty much thrown tons of plastic. Most of us know what is good for starting out and what is something to stay away from when first starting out.

This is what I feel is the most beginner user friendly bag. It will be something your arm speed should be able to handle and something you should be able to learn really well with. If I was starting somebody out who is new to the game,but don't want to overwhelm them at the same time, this is what I would suggest to them.

This going to be mainly a Innova/Discraft Bag that I will suggest for you to try.

Drivers - Best First Drivers that many people keep in their bag for many years
Innova Teebird - Star or Champion for stability and a DX for Neutral to slight Fading shots
Innova Leopard - Star or Champion for stability and a DX for more flippy turnover shots and rollers
Innova Banshee - Champion is all you need. Basically a more controllable Firebird and is a great starter utility disc

Midranges - Best 2 midranges ever made
Innova Roc - Star for Stability and a KC Pro for more straighter shots with fade once worn(KC Pro can be worn in different ways so you could carry 3 to cover many shots.
Discraft Comet - Elite Z for Stability and a ESP or Elite X for more flippy turnover shots. Comet can tell you if you have OAT in your throws.Very good learning tool.

Putters - 2 of the better putters out there.
Innova XD - Champion for stability(Only place who has Champion plastic is Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop) and a DX for Turnovers,Straight shots with touch and easy apporaches.
Innova Big Bead Aviar(Better known as KC Pro) - Just one plastic is all you need it in. can be worn in different ways to cover lots of shots.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JR » Fri May 09, 2014 5:13 am

Less is more at the beginning. Please refrain from using fast drivers in the beginning. They are meant for over 350' throws. Or they will be one trick hard fade discs that require anhyzer that usually comes from poor technique. Which is hard to rectify afterward and makes throwing other discs harder. Those flight manipulations are better learned later when you have the basics right.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cmdj1982 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am

I appreciate all the advice, everyone! Certainly glad I posted here first before going through with that purchase. Some alterations to my order are definitely in store (as well as alterations to how I approach my in-game disc selection). I'm definitely taking good notes here. Keep 'em coming! :)
cmdj1982
Noob

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 pm

cmdj1982 wrote:I appreciate all the advice, everyone! Certainly glad I posted here first before going through with that purchase. Some alterations to my order are definitely in store (as well as alterations to how I approach my in-game disc selection). I'm definitely taking good notes here. Keep 'em coming! :)

Your welcome man. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby ELItheICEman » Fri May 09, 2014 8:55 pm

To build on UncleBrother's list, if you're a winter thrower check out a JK or Yeti Aviar. Softer and grippier than the KC, but in the cold they firm up nicely.
ELItheICEman
Noob

Return to Equipment