The Truth

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Truth

Postby JR » Tue May 13, 2014 12:35 am

It sounds like i need to just try one or two to see how they work. It is no surprise that experiences vary because trilogy discs tend to do so more than Discraft as a whole.

Andrew i quess he meant that the Truth flies more hss and less lss for him than the z Buzz. Being more overstable only in the early part of the flight. Stable is often used soooo wrong and worst of all differently by different persons.

It would be easier if everyone used the same terms for example understable straight overstable and when disc a is more overstable than disc b just say more overstable instead of more stable. The latter causes untold confusion.

I am well aware of differences in the distances mids fly. On occasion i have carried mids that are very different in distances depending on the course and the wind. Gator or the like for spikes and headwinds and longer mids too. It sounds like the Truth could be a superior Stalker going far but fading less. I have used the Stalker as a fw. So if i were to get a beefier Truth it could have wind insurance to a point and a classic for straight jobs. So a Roc Truth combo could work for distance control help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JTdisc » Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 am

RebelZero wrote:I have a confession to make, Uncle B: I can't, in fact, handle the Truth. I played a round today on our short course throwing pretty much all my mids on every hole. It's time for side-by-side comparisons this year, time to whittle it down, pick one and stay with one and get to know it inside and out.

So I tossed everything today. The Buzzz, Core, Roc, Wasp, and both the Lucid and Fuzion Truth. While I do like certain aspects of all those discs, I have ruled out the Truth. It's too damn long. As you've mentioned, it comes close to being a fairway driver. I was overthrowing holes that I had just parked with a Buzzz or a Wasp. I'm sure I'd get it dialed in over time but I don't think I like it enough to do that. It doesn't feel quite as good in my hand as some of the others so I'm ditching it.

Now all I have to do is sift through all the others. After playing with mostly Buzzzes for a couple years and then switching to the Core, I find myself liking the Roc more and more. I only know one thing for sure: the Fuse isn't going anywhere.

Interesting. I find the Truth powers down to 75% fairly well, but if I need a shorter Truth shot, I often reach for my Suspect. I'm all about having the exact distance disc for the shot. If I need something even shorter and less stable, I go for the Judge (putter). I can definitely understand picking the disc that goes just the right distance that you like. Being able to accurately range your mids is critical.

I don't envy you sifting through the rest of them. I do that from time to time and am usually completely undecided which I like best. They all have subtle differences in flight and feel, and it's tough to pick the one that's right for you.

Here's my 2 cents: I threw the Buzzz for quite a while (along with a Hornet for OS duties) before I switched to the Truth. My second favorite disc in that straight mid category was the Glow-Z Buzzz. It's just a bit more high speed stable than a regular Z-Buzzz, very close to the Truth. Might be worth checking out if you're still on the fence.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby RebelZero » Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 am

I don't envy you sifting through the rest of them. I do that from time to time and am usually completely undecided which I like best. They all have subtle differences in flight and feel, and it's tough to pick the one that's right for you.

Indeed it is. I was really hoping the Truth was the one for me but it's just not. Disappointing. I still have this useless idea lurking in the back of my head that one day I'll just toss a mid once and it'll magically do everything I want and I'll never look back. I'll gleefully dump all the other contenders out of my bag and put this new wonder disc in, which will lower my score by 10 every round.

I hear you about the Glo Buzzz. I have one and have tossed it a few times. It's definitely a hair more stable. As I said before, I'm liking Rocs more than ever these days. I've never been a fan of cycling discs, though. I feel like once I get my Rocs seasoned perfectly, I'll be too afraid of losing them to throw them when there's any danger at all. I know there are people on both sides of the fence, but that's the way I've always felt. So much easier to buy a replacement that flies just like the one you just dumped in the drink.

I really like the Wasp, so a Buzzz is the logical choice. Especially from a minimalism aspect, since a Buzzz is just a beadless Wasp. A Wasp, Glo Buzzz, Buzzz, and a Fuse would be simple.

But I love the Core, too. It has those "subtle differences in flight and feel" you mentioned. It goes farther than my Buzzz but not as far as the Truth. It holds annies better than a Buzzz.

And so on. My goal this year is to have this test period only last a couple weeks rather than the whole year. I need to make a decision and stick with it so I can get better.
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:08 pm

RebelZero wrote:I have a confession to make, Uncle B: I can't, in fact, handle the Truth. I played a round today on our short course throwing pretty much all my mids on every hole. It's time for side-by-side comparisons this year, time to whittle it down, pick one and stay with one and get to know it inside and out.

So I tossed everything today. The Buzzz, Core, Roc, Wasp, and both the Lucid and Fuzion Truth. While I do like certain aspects of all those discs, I have ruled out the Truth. It's too damn long. As you've mentioned, it comes close to being a fairway driver. I was overthrowing holes that I had just parked with a Buzzz or a Wasp. I'm sure I'd get it dialed in over time but I don't think I like it enough to do that. It doesn't feel quite as good in my hand as some of the others so I'm ditching it.

Now all I have to do is sift through all the others. After playing with mostly Buzzzes for a couple years and then switching to the Core, I find myself liking the Roc more and more. I only know one thing for sure: the Fuse isn't going anywhere.

Those Rocs will treat you well. They are great. all I have are the old 11x Rocs. I need to try out the 12x Rocs since I've gotten back into them again. Since I've went with a different approach to my bag the Rocs are staying in the bag for a long time.

Fuse is a nice disc. Very Fast and tons of glide. such a good understable disc it is,or neutral if you can call it that.

Sorry to hear about the Truth not working for you. It is a very long disc indeed. Took me a bit to realize the uses of it,when I figured it out fireworks went off in my head. :lol:
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JTdisc » Thu May 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm starting to get worried. My go-to Truth seemed to have a hint of turn today. Could just be my throws or could be the lucid plastic is beating in a fraction.

I might need to check out a Fuzion or a heavier lucid.

Or go to one of my other brand new lucid backups.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby RebelZero » Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 pm

I destroyed the Roc I was trying to season yesterday. Just drilled a tree with it and watched it taco in slow-motion. That's another reason I don't like cycling base plastic discs: the constant fear of turning them into a canoe. I think that mishap has pushed me off Rocs. My main course is so heavily wooded I don't know if my aim will allow DX discs to survive. I've used candy plastic for so long and never worried about the trees. And with so many viable mids out there I see no reason to invest in a bunch of DX plastic that may either get beaten in just right or wrap itself around a trunk.

Which brings me back to testing the Truth. I really want it to work for me. I think I'm going to keep a Wasp in the bag for hurricanes, a Buzzz for dead straight stuff, and a Fuse for the understable slot. And then put both Truths back in and work with them until I AM THEIR MASTER.
RebelZero
Noob

Postby JR » Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Does that Roc bend back to original shape and fly right? DX often returns amazingly well. With that said on wooded courses here i too use Z or FLX Buzzes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby RebelZero » Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 pm

I bent it almost back. It won't quite go to its original shape (a nice, predictable round) or fly the same. It's wobbly.
RebelZero
Noob

Postby JR » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm

RebelZero wrote:I bent it almost back. It won't quite go to its original shape (a nice, predictable round) or fly the same. It's wobbly.

Too bad that is the chance with dx and seeing enough of the having small hand ditching the bead for a Buzz was a no brainer. So if the Buzz has been improved upon i am on board. I just have another 40 discs to test fh first plus work.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby RebelZero » Sat May 17, 2014 12:53 pm

I decided to give the Truth another chance since I destroyed my DX Roc and swore off them. I went to our local heavily wooded course today. It's not particularly long - the longest hole is 475 - but it's mostly tight lines and precision routes. I played the whole course with just two Wizards and two Truths. Color me converted. I normally shoot around +8/10. Today I shot +5, my best round this season. It would have been even better but the wheels totally fell off in the last four holes. At one point I was -2.

Turns out this disc is just as amazing as Uncle B has been saying. It has more fade than the Buzzzes and Cores I'm used to so I'll probably have to keep one of those in there. But once I learned to work the fade its combination of speed, glide, and dependable finish was awesome. I'm so sorry I bad mouthed it earlier.

Or, as Uncle B has suggested, I could always get a Classic Truth and season it to replace the Buzzz/Core slot in my bag. I just have to hope I don't wrap it around a tree like that damn Roc. And I'll have to work on powering it down on shorter holes since it's got more distance.

But I'm in. Not only can I handle the Truth, I demand it.
RebelZero
Noob

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Very good post sir. :D

I'm happy that the Truth is working for you. I was like you at first,I wasn't sure where it fit in. Once gotten use to it soon become my favorite disc.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby RebelZero » Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Have you started seasoning a Classic Truth yet? What do you use as your dead straight neutral disc?
RebelZero
Noob

Postby dgdave » Sat May 17, 2014 4:41 pm

I've tried the truth 3 times and it never really worked out for me. Not sure why, just never did anything better that what is already in my bag
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Sat May 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Does anyone know if classics tend to taco and do they lose hss to flip or lose lss or both as they wear? How quickly does it wear vs dx Roc? If some fade more than Buzzes i need to beat the lss out of them.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:31 pm

RebelZero wrote:Have you started seasoning a Classic Truth yet? What do you use as your dead straight neutral disc?

Well with the Fairway Distance I'm getting with a Truth I have nothing at the moment until I can get my hands on some Classic Truths.I've got some place to purchase them lined up I just got to wait til next month before I make the purchase.

Right now my Neutral midrange is a fairly beat in 11x KC Pro Roc.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment