Understable Midranges

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Understable Midranges

Postby JTdisc » Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Core vs Fugitive vs Meteor vs Fuse

For the life of me I can't decide what I want to throw in this slot.

For most lines, I can get my slightly OS Truth to cover things. It is easy to flex and anhyzer.

I find the Core and the Fugitive can get a little bigger turns than the Truth but they flatten out at the end with a health fade.

The Meteor and the Fuze (opto and GL) don't fade back much at the end. I can throw these hard on a hyzer, get them to flip up and keep turning without ever fading back. This separates them from the other discs as they all want to fade back at the end. Right now I'm bagging the Meteor but rarely throwing it, instead going with an anhyzer Truth for most shots.

What are your experiences with understable mids? What shots do you use them for? How are you throwing them?
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Re: Understable Midranges

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:19 pm

I've always been a fan of using multiple molds of the same disc to cover different slots. That way you always have the same feel for all your shots just a different stability.

If you want to go with different molds a Comet,which is finicky but a awesome midrange once learned, is great for understabilty but needs room to work. A Fuse is great also because you can throw it on low lines and still get the same results as a Comet,maybe a tick more stabilty but not much.

Now this isn't a Mid,but more of a Tweener. a Discraft Glide is a great disc. I used one for a while just because it could get me just a bit more distance than my Comets could. It's a very underrated disc and very easy to control.

The Core and Fugitive is more of a straight line disc. They have just a tick of turn and a slight fade at the end. Great discs though.

Oh and I almost forgot my uses.

I use to Carry a Z,ESP and X comet in my bag. Elite Z for wind fighting and very straight shots. ESP for slight turns and then the X for Hyzerflips into turnovers.

The Fuse's I have used have been a GL,RL and a Opto. In my opinion they all flew pretty much the same. Maybe a slight difference with the Opto being a bit more stable,but not by much. I could probably get by with just one Fuse in the bag and be covered for an understable duty. Just pick a plastic that feels best for you. They hit low lines better and are really good hyzerflippers and turnover mids. Faster than a Comet for sure
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JTdisc » Mon May 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Lately I've been struggling at times as to which disc I should throw for turns. I've been feeling more comfortable throwing the straighter discs (like a Fugitive or Core, or even an OS Truth) on an anhyzer than I have throwing the US discs flat. It can be tough to really dial in an US midrange.

With my Fuse and Meteor, I can get a small amount of turn with a low power throw but if I put some real snap on it, they can turn over easy. Sometimes I feel like there are too many variables, degree of hyzer/anyhyzer and the power/snap of the throw, all of which barely separate a good turn from a cut roller. With a slightly more straight disc like a Fugitive, I can get more reliable turns, but I know they are going to straighten out and fade harder at the end, whereas a Fuse I know will always finish with turn and little to no fade.

I'm starting to think I should stop trying to throw midrange turnovers and get back to throwing FH/BH equally well..
JTdisc
Noob

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:01 pm

JTdisc wrote:Lately I've been struggling at times as to which disc I should throw for turns. I've been feeling more comfortable throwing the straighter discs (like a Fugitive or Core, or even an OS Truth) on an anhyzer than I have throwing the US discs flat. It can be tough to really dial in an US midrange.

With my Fuse and Meteor, I can get a small amount of turn with a low power throw but if I put some real snap on it, they can turn over easy. Sometimes I feel like there are too many variables, degree of hyzer/anyhyzer and the power/snap of the throw, all of which barely separate a good turn from a cut roller. With a slightly more straight disc like a Fugitive, I can get more reliable turns, but I know they are going to straighten out and fade harder at the end, whereas a Fuse I know will always finish with turn and little to no fade.

I'm starting to think I should stop trying to throw midrange turnovers and get back to throwing FH/BH equally well..

While those forehand hyzers are good,sometimes nothing beats a good ol secure backhand turnover. In my opinion that was one of the toughest throws for me to learn. Once you get it down you won't have to worry as much about those cut rollers that can happen sometimes. I would stick with it man because sometimes the toughest shots reap the best rewards once learned.

Still though if you feel more comfortable with your straighter discs keep throwing them,but also don't forget to throw your understable mids too. Just a few throws with a certain disc per rounds helps build more experience with that particular shot than never doing it all. This is how I got better with all my shots.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:If you want to go with different molds a Comet,which is finicky but a awesome midrange once learned, is great for understabilty but needs room to work.
This keeps puzzling me. To me a Comet is not an understable disc. It's the epitome of a straight flying neutral disc, no turn, no fade, even when thrown really hard. But very finicky for good form, and easy to turn when you're not doing it right. My ESP Comets are more or less the only ones I've seen turning any significant and consistent amount, even the X Comets I've thrown had to be beaten in to be understable discs.

That said Comets have so little fade that you can throw an understable sort of line with them, just throw a shallow anhyzer. =)

EDIT: Oh, and on the original subject: Beaten in D-MD2 is also a great option for that slot. Because it starts of very much true stable it won't become an unpredictable flip machine any time soon.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:19 pm

jubuttib wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:If you want to go with different molds a Comet,which is finicky but a awesome midrange once learned, is great for understabilty but needs room to work.
This keeps puzzling me. To me a Comet is not an understable disc. It's the epitome of a straight flying neutral disc, no turn, no fade, even when thrown really hard. But very finicky for good form, and easy to turn when you're not doing it right. My ESP Comets are more or less the only ones I've seen turning any significant and consistent amount, even the X Comets I've thrown had to be beaten in to be understable discs.

That said Comets have so little fade that you can throw an understable sort of line with them, just throw a shallow anhyzer. =)

EDIT: Oh, and on the original subject: Beaten in D-MD2 is also a great option for that slot. Because it starts of very much true stable it won't become an unpredictable flip machine any time soon.

Well if we want to get more in depth with it the Comet isn't one of your dogleg right kind of turnover Midranges. I would place it in the more controllable Understable Mids.Controllable meaning you can throw it on an anhyzer line and not worry about it cut rolling on you.

And I agree it is a very Straight disc. One thing though is it excels in many many shots. Understable shots being one of them :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue May 13, 2014 1:01 am

An understable disc does add to the anhyzer angle mid flight on a speedy throw. A straight disc does not. The characteristics of a disc can be understable but the flight line is not. Flight is anhyzer the disc is os straight or us or the worst case unstable :D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Now I've thrown some unstable stuff before. So bad if I put too much snap on it, it is cut rolling on me like crazy.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JTdisc » Tue May 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Did some field work today. More and more I'm finding US mids to be too unpredictable for turnovers and turning shots. I feel like I'm better off switching to FH/BH when I need a disc to go the other direction. With the least headwind they turn into cut rollers, and it's tough to gauge the prefect amount of hyzer/anhyzer to get reliable turns.

The one shot I might keep them around for are those downwind tunnel shots. With a tailwind a Meteor or Fuse thrown on a hyzer goes dead straight with very little fade. I can't think of anything with a straighter overall flight.

With no wind, throwing those discs with a hyzer gets them to flip to flat, but they slowly continue to turn over for the rest of the flight.
JTdisc
Noob

Postby JTdisc » Thu May 15, 2014 2:11 pm

One key is that the mids really need a lot of height to give them room to flatten out and not end up as a cut roll. Birdied (narrowly missed an Eagle) a tough wooded par 4 with a nice high anhyzer Meteor shot. The key was putting it up high enough that it straightened out near the end before it hit the ground and just glided toward the basket.
JTdisc
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Try a Tursas and never look back.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 18, 2014 12:37 pm

discmonkey42 wrote:Try a Tursas and never look back.
Great understable mid range that one, I'd probably throw either that or the Anode if I wasn't so in love with MD2s.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to Equipment