The Best Bag?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Best Bag?

Postby Kpro » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:47 am

Ok here is the deal, im getting sick and tierd of my old bag. I have one of those cheap bags that you get at Academy. Im know ready for a new bag. My price range would be about 40 to 80 dollars. The only other requirement i have on my bag is that it can be fitted with Quad Shocks. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Dallas Area Disc Golfers - Visit www.DallasDiscGolf.com

Thanks,
Kyle
Kpro
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:13 pm

best large/jumbo bags in that price range:
1. GDS Tour/Player (same quality, tour is slightly larger) $75-80
2. Revolution Pro Bag $80
3. Revolution Club Bag $60
4. PDGA Original Bag $50
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Thanks

Postby Kpro » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be sure to check these out. I will let you know what i pick later.

P.S. Have a Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Kyle
Kpro
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:53 am

I really like my revolution bag. I believe it is worth the money.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Kpro » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:57 am

Texasoutlaw, is yours the Revoultion Pro bag or the Club bag?

Thanks,
Kyle
Kpro
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:23 pm

chances are he has the team bag either texas or carolina.

being that i have owned the revo carolina bag, gateway tour, and gateway player, i would say that gateway and revo bags are of equivalent quality, so unless you are in love with the revo design, at $80 you probably get more bang for your buck with gateway.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TBird » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:28 am

Kpro,

The PDGA Original turned out to be a very nice bag. Go look at your little brother's Christmas present! :lol:

Travis
TBird
Noob

Postby Kpro » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:26 pm

I know but i just wanted to see what other people said. :D

Thanks,
Kyle
Kpro
Noob

Postby dave9921 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Hello-

While we're talking about the best disc golf bags, let me mention a few things about the REVOLUTION line of disc golf bags. Since we produced our first commercially available bags in 1998, REVOLUTION has set the standard for design, materials and quality of construction. I truly believe that, not only do we produce the world's best disc golf bags, we also produce one of the world's best outdoor bags – regardless of its application.

How have we been able to do this conistently for the last eight years?

1. We never skimp on materials. Whether you get our $40 MINI Bag or the $115 Carolina TEAM Bag, all REVOLUTION bags are made from 100% Dupont-brand Cordura. We don't use something that looks like Cordura. Its the real deal. Cordura-brand fabrics offer the best water resistant coating, the best wear against abrasion, and the best long-term resistance to color fading.

From the CLUB Bag on up to the Carolina TEAM Bag, we now integrate an ultra-tough truck vinyl material on the bottoms of our full-sized bags. Not only is this material super resistant to wear and abrasion, it is easy to clean and looks as good as the day you bought it after years of heavy and consistent use. No oher disc golf bag that I've seen is using this material.

Second, our designs are thought through with the tournament player in mind. We don't copy other dg products to capitalize on what's popular. We design for ease of use, longevity, and functionality. We pioneered features like the padded back, bonus quad shock loops, and oversized rain flap and umbrella straps. We've taken features like the internal frame to the next level of usefulness and believe so strongly in its importance that we include a frame in every bag we sell.

Next, our bags are produced in small quantities in the United States. Our manufacturer is under no pressure to deliver incredible quantities of product. They take their time and get every aspect of the construction 100% right. Compare the stitching on a REVOLUTION Bag versus any other disc golf bag out there. You'll see that every seam is double stitched and every double stitch is dead straight. Then, every exposed seam on the bag is taped to further increase durability and water resistance. And I'm not just talking about the most visible seams in the main compartment. Every seam inside the side pockets is taped as well.

Nothing cheap ever finds its way into any REVOLUTION Bag. And yes, we certainly pay for this quality. Our bags cost as much as five times the wholesale cost of mass producing bags overseas. But the quality of each and every REVOLUTION Disc Golf bag is unmatched and the value in every bag cannot be denied.

That's why its so frustrating for me when I hear someone like Blake say that a REVOLUTION product is overpriced. Although it is his opinion, I truly believe it is wrong.

Perhaps the Carolina Bag is over-engineered for the amount of golf Blake, who has repeatedly said he doesn't play much due to injury and time constraints, can play. However, that doesn't mean that a player like USDGC winner Dave Feldberg, PDGA World Champion Nate Doss, or any up-and-coming advanced player who's hitting tournaments every weekend can appreciate and benefit from.

Not only do we make the best bags available, we put them in the hands of the world's best players (including both Dave and Nate and about 20 others around the world). Of course, we want the best players to be seen with our gear and get their feedback on issues that they find, but our support also makes it easier for them to play disc golf at the highest levels.

We also support dozens of tournaments each year with free or discounted merchandise. Again, we want to spread the word about the REVOLUTION line of bags, but it also helps out the TD's who are on the front lines of growing disc golf in their areas.

All in all, I deeply believe that few people can go wrong with a bag from REVOLUTION Disc Golf. With prices that start at $40, for most players, cost is not really a valid reason for not trying one. And once you do, I think you'll be amazed by the quality you'll find.

Thanks,

David Henrickson
REVOLUTION Disc Golf
dave9921
Noob

Postby CincyKeith » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:50 am

Hey Dave,

I would like to touch on a few things you mentioned in your post. I would first off, like to mention that I am a proud owner of a REVOLUTION Carolina Team Bag. I have been nothing but pleased with the enormous improvement in quality from my previous bag (Innova Tour Bag) which was starting to show wear after 8 months of light use.

I don't believe that ANYBODY would deny the superb quality of your product. You guys have managed to put together something that has been long overdue to emerge into the disc golf scene, and you have integrated a lot of new ideas into one amazing design.

I doubt anybody that has mentioned the quality of other brands, such as gateway, had any intention to insult your product. Comparing the two is merely like comparing apples and oranges, both of which has it's benefits. Some of the details that went into the REVOLUTION bags swayed my decision to buy from you rather than from another company.

I never doubted that your positive involvement with "giving back" to the disc golf community had any other intention than to try to allow us to see that a better product had been designed with us in mind. Thus the reason some of the great touring pros carry them. However, I don't believe that making an argument about Blake's amount of play is suitable. I only play 3-5 rounds of disc golf each month, but do not believe that your design is over-engineered. The benefits of your bag is not determined by the amount of golf I play.

I'm happy that you guys are dedicated to great customer service, along with a commitment of perfection.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby dave9921 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

Keith-

Thanks for your reply and thanks for carrying a REVOLUTION Disc Golf bag. I truly appreciate your business and words of support.

I realize that there's always a risk of sounding too personally attached when I reply to a post on a message board. As a result, I rarely do it and prefer to let the product and comments from satisifed customers stand on their own as a testament to REVOLUTION's quality and value.

But I take the REVOLUTION product and its development and perception in the marketplace very seriously (maybe a bit too seriously...) Because the REVOLUTION line of bags is typically not available in stores, new customers rely heavily on product reviews and comments found on sites like this. Whether Blake realizes it or not, his comments are taken very seriously by a lot of people when making their own buying decisions.

A statement like "it is overpriced" may seem like a harmless comparison between vastly different products to some, but it is taken as gospel by others. I realize there's a difference between an opinion and a fact, but its often difficult to discern - especially in a medium like a message board.

Thanks,

-Dave
dave9921
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 pm

I also am an owner of a carolina bag and couldn't be happier (well maybe the drink holders...). Blake is a good guy, but I do see your point as his opinion is highly respected among the disc golf community.

The bag is definately worth the money. I would use the word pricey more than over-priced. I am given a lot of slack for having such a quality bag (being in financial trouble myself); however, once I reveal that I saved for about six months (of skipping lunch and sandwiches for dinner), I normally don't hear any more about it. It is definately worth the sacrifice.

I've had the bag for about 6 months. No cactus nor thorny brush can hurt this bag. I did have a mouse show up in it and nibble on the rain flap; it still looks better than previous bags I've had.

My only complaint is the open bottom. 32 oz sports drink or nalgene bottles (which I finally gave in and bought since I kept breaking cheapies) fit nicely in it, but thinner containers fall through. This isn't my complaint though: when I set the bag down on the dry south Texas dirt, the condensation (or maybe wetness from being pulled out of an ice chest) and dust combine to create mud.

I absolutely love this bag, but I can see why some are hesitant to allocate the money for it. The advice you provided me was great. Dave suggested that I evaluate the amount I play with the rigor involved to decide between which bag. After tearing up previous bags in less than a year, the choice to get the Carolina bag was easy (even though I am neither pro nor can play more than a few times a week currently).

Here is an over-exaggerated example. Even though I would love a mustang or a charger and I agree that they are quality vehicles, I cannot afford one. Could I save and budget over a period of years to afford one? Maybe. Good thing for Kia's....

One thing that I figures was that I would have this bag for a very long time if not for the rest of my life. To me that is worth the 115 of the carolina bag. If something were to happen to my burnt orange Revolution bag (go Horns!), I would return to the Revolution diet so that I could buy another.

Also, I believe I sent you some business. One of the locals I play with asked about the price of the bag. I gave him the argument of quality over quanitity and we tried to figure out how many bags he's gone through in the last few years. Well, last week he was walking around with a blue and grey Carolina bag. He is also very satisfied. I believe my gf will be purchasing one soon as well; we're just not sure which size she needs/wants.

Is the mini the only bag that comes in yellow? If there were a bigger yellow bag, I could give her my Longhorn...um I mean Carolona orange bag and buy a yellow one for myself (go Lakers).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CincyKeith » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:29 pm

David,

Keep up the good work, and I know that when / if I need another bag in the future, REVOLUTION is who I would go to.

Are your pink bags selling as well as you forecasted? I'm thinking of picking one up for my gf if she decides to continue to show interest.

Oh and just to let you know, this website is one of the major reasons I even decided to invest in a REVOLUTION. The information about your bags was readily available once I heard of the name, but until then, I never heard of your company. I believe that advertising your product at major disc golf events and tournaments will eventually pay off.

Good luck, and I hope to see more great things to come from REVOLUTION !!!
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby asimo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:30 pm

I, like many other golfers, do not intend on changing my diet in order to afford a Revolution Bag. I would rather stitch my own, (yes, I know it wouldn't be very nice). Basically, what I put in my body is way more important than what I put my discs in. :lol:

I don't want to speak for Blake but I think he has every right(if not a responsibility) to call a 115$ golf/outdoor bag "overpriced". But the truth is Blake didn't say that. He said, "you may get more bang for your buck," with another bag.

I understand that the quality is superior on a Revolution Bag but that doesn't mean that my budget suddenly affords for a 115$ golf bag. I could go through five lightning large bags for that price. :roll:

I play almost everyday in rough weather and I understand that the true value is in Quadshocks. I can hook my Quadshocks to almost any bag, (including my old school bag), and have a suitable golf set up. :P

That said, if you have the money for the finer things in life, maybe the Revolution Bag is for you. 8)

My 2 Cents,
Asimo
asimo
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:18 pm

asimo wrote:

I could go through five lightning large bags for that price. :roll:

My 2 Cents,
Asimo

Unless they've improved construction, you WILL go through 5 large bags. :D

Incidentally, I still have my original Lightning bag; it is what my gf is currently carrying. It outlasted my other bags (maybe because I didn't over stuff it).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment