Rocs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rocs

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Can someone differentiate between the different rocs? I have an orange disc that appears to be a roc; it has no markings but says "San Marino" on the bottom. I'm fairly certain it is a roc 175 g.

Some of the players told me that "it was not the good roc". Anyone have anything to add?

Also, I have a friend that carried a buzz and a roc; should I carry them both? The roc is more overstable right now, but I imagine is gonna turn into a buzz.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:19 pm

san marino on the bottom = san marino roc ~'89-92
ontario on the bottom = ontario roc ~'93-97
rancho cucamonga = rancho cucamonga roc ~'97-present

san marino are the flippiest of them.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:01 pm

I carry 1 Buzzz (flat top) and 3 Rocs. I'm getting used to the Rocs right now, and figuring out how much hyzer is needed for a given amount of power. The more consistant I'm getting with the hyzer-to-flat throw with the beat rocs, the more I'm able to understand the nuances of it's flight path and be able to aim for windows or mandos. Blake pointed out Buzzz's only need 5'-8' of highth to get max distance, where as Roc's need 15'-20' to get max distance and it makes sense the more i get used to Rocs. Once I master Roc's I believe I'll still have a place for a Buzz in my bag for those shots with a low ceiling, I guess when I reach that point I need to learn to throw my leopard to replace that slot :wink: To make a short reply long, I still carry the Buzzz in my bag with 3 Rocs because when I'm in doubt I still have a disc I know what will do, but I see myself eventually dropping the Buzzz.

The Sannies (San Marino's) are the most saught after of the DX Rocs. I've never thrown one, but I guess they have the latest fade, and once beaten in right, won't have a fade. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, I'm actually very interested in finding out all the information I can about Rocs in general, what all the flight characteristics are for the molds and history .
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:55 am

they are mainly sought after because they are old and people that prefer them have a hard time tracking them down.

in 5 years ontarios will likely go for as much as san marinos do now.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 am

Sounds like I have one of the more sought after rocs, so the guy must have a preference to one of the others. I need to throw them with more height, huh?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:32 pm

How can I tell if my KC Roc is blunt nosed or sharp nosed?
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Weebl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:19 pm

The concave of the lip from bead to rim edge will show this. Sharp nose Rocs will have more of a straight line from bead to edge with a slight concave. A bluntnose will have a more pronounced scoop from bead to edge. It's a fairly subtle difference but the difference is clear when you have an example of each in hand.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:11 am

I have an ESP Buzz a Z Crystal Buzz (kindly returned after being lost) and two "full color Rocs".

I was calling the Rocs flat tops (like the USDG version), because they are as flat as my ESP Buzz. I called Innova and asked when they were going to make the FT Roc in Star (just for kicks). Sam told me that these Rocs are not flat top by design. They are simply flat due to some manufacturing varience.

This made me sad...

One thing about ESP plastic (and to a lesser extent Star) is that each disc is nearly EXACTLY THE SAME!!!! DX has the most varience of any plastic out there.

Innova's advice was sift through a bunch of discs to find the flat ones. This sucks, I think.

Somebody put a bead on the Buzz, please....and don't tell me that is a Wasp. A Wasp is a copy of a domey Roc. The Buzz is a flat plate on top. The new ESP Wasp looks nothing like an ESP Buzz in terms of dome.

ESP Buzz + bead please.

I like DX plastic, but I am really not into this "sift through 700 discs, buy a dozen, take out one, beat the crap out of it, spit on it, pee on it, run over it with the car, and bury it in the ground for a year, dig it up, then it will throw perfect". I like the disc to be tweaked by about the 9th hole, then never change until I lose it. <sigh> This is ESP plastic. Star is nearly as good. At least so far...
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:54 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I
DX has the most varience of any plastic out there.

Insert blake w/ stats of percentage of sucessfull discs per run based on plastic. (I recall DX having less variables that potentially can cause inconsistancies in plastic.)

I am betting if youre finding less variance between discs in esp plastic its becase there have not been more than a run or two of a single mold in ESP yet, while dx/pro d have had many many runs over time. If you get two discs run the same day, chances are they will be very similar, if you get two discs run on different days w/ different temps/humidity levels they likely wont be as similar.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby all_thumbs » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:01 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Somebody put a bead on the Buzz, please....and don't tell me that is a Wasp. A Wasp is a copy of a domey Roc. The Buzz is a flat plate on top. The new ESP Wasp looks nothing like an ESP Buzz in terms of dome.

ESP Buzz + bead please.

I know this isn't what you were asking, but Z Wasps are flat. They make pancakes look domey.
Ken H...formerly the user 'gwailo'.
Wizards, 1080 Radius & Warlock twins, Wasp ,Hornet, Buzzz, Demon, Firebird, Leopards, CE TL, Orcs, and Predator.
Bag in flux - rebuilding my game after long layoff including learning forehands hence the schizo nature of what I carry.
all_thumbs
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DEMON!

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:05 pm

gwailo wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:Somebody put a bead on the Buzz, please....and don't tell me that is a Wasp. A Wasp is a copy of a domey Roc. The Buzz is a flat plate on top. The new ESP Wasp looks nothing like an ESP Buzz in terms of dome.

ESP Buzz + bead please.

I know this isn't what you were asking, but Z Wasps are flat. They make pancakes look domey.

Ok. I will check these out.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm

they are quite a bit overstable, but if the buzzz is supposed to be stable, makes sense. I think the buzzz is supposed to fly like a broken in D wasp or roc, since theres such a market for out of the box results. This probably is a large portion of why people perfer the Z, not better flight, but longer results. (My x buzzz's were money though, literarly, they liked goign in the chains for money...)

btw the wasp was supposed to be a copy of the roc, however, the buzzz was made after the wasp, just by taking the bead off. I bet if you added a bead to a d buzzz it would be domier than adding a bead to a Z buzzz, much like alot of Z wasps are flat topped.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:they are quite a bit overstable, but if the buzzz is supposed to be stable, makes sense. I think the buzzz is supposed to fly like a broken in D wasp or roc, since theres such a market for out of the box results. This probably is a large portion of why people perfer the Z, not better flight, but longer results. (My x buzzz's were money though, literarly, they liked goign in the chains for money...)

btw the wasp was supposed to be a copy of the roc, however, the buzzz was made after the wasp, just by taking the bead off. I bet if you added a bead to a d buzzz it would be domier than adding a bead to a Z buzzz, much like alot of Z wasps are flat topped.

The ESP Buzz's are dead flat.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Rooster » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:36 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:The ESP Buzz's are dead flat.

that depends on the color. Green and blue are real flat, then yellow then orange.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby distantdg » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 pm

my orange is flat-topped as the rest, the yellow one i have is a little more domier
distantdg
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment