Want help in choosing a disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Want help in choosing a disc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:48 am

Alright, I play the same course every day (its about 300' outside my door) and I have a disc for the best shot for every hole. I have been narrowing down molds in my bag and have found theres a spot or two that are no longer full. Found this out when playing some alternate tees at a course that I dont get to play as often, I knew just the right throw for the hole, Hyzerflip with very little fade to allow the disc to continue to glide forward. The fairway was open, yet the basket was gaurded by trees which you need to come in low to get past. I know I can glide a disc under the trees, I throw this style throw at a shorter range with my z glide flying up hill 300' to the pin trees at 250, the glide is capable of gliding about 25' only 4' off the ground after traveling the 250' around 10-15'.

Alright long story short I want a disc that will perform this kind of hyzer flip at 400+,

I have very little money to spend on discs for the next couple months, so would perfer a champ/star/z plastic disc that will last me a long while. Im considering the Spectra, Sidewinder or a Valk. Ive thrown all these discs on this line and the spectra is the longest yet least controlable, the sidewinder flies straightest, and the valk is the most predictable. I know that with practice the sidewinder could be predictable enough, but is it stable enough? (I currently throw hyzerflips with a 1st run orange flash, but I can only make this disc fade left or turn, I cant get it to flip to straight without a bit of fade, and lost D)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Solty » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:52 am

i'd think that the valkyrie would be do what u want it to do. I know my pro and champ valks flip hyzer for me rather well however now that the pro is really beat up...it flips more and doesnt come back as fast. i'd check out the champ valk....it's help me out in many situations
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby DiscCrusher » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:22 am

I agree that the valkyrie would be good, but champion might not be the best plastic for this. I have had dx valks that would flip up and never fade offline. But to get a champ to do that would probably require a very low throw with loss of distance. Also a pro Tee-Bird would probably work really well for this. Flipped up they will almost fade dead straight after a few tree bumps. I don't throw 400' though so I can't say if you could get that distance 25' feet off the ground with it.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:26 pm

thanks for the replies, Ive heard the spectra has a similar flight path as a valk, just faster, and its in the z plastic. Ive thrown DX valks a bit and they tend to get ali ttle turn to them. (Usually 172-175g).

If I was to get the valk in champ plastic I would perfer the JK Pro in the gummy candy around the 162-165 range.

My fear is even If I get 2 or 3 DX drivers is that I will wear them out too fast. I play 2 or 3 rounds a day (im a student with a course right out my door).

What about a Pro Beast, old or rettool?
Or are all the pro beasts the old mold?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 pm

i don't have 400' of power either but a DX eagle has been a great hyzer flip disc that will come back at the end for me... even in a bit of a headwind. mine's a 174 that's nicely beat in. i think the line it takes is similar to a champion valkryie but with more glide. they should last a little while too, since it's a more stable mold that you're beating in to get understable. unlike a DX valk., pro beast etc...
my pro starfires are also great for this shot. they go farther but are not quite as predictable. i carry one that's beat for tail winds and bigger flips... then a newer one for calm conditions or slight headwinds. pro starfire is a great balance of speed and glide and they go darn straight (little turn and little fade).
i've seen people with 400' of power throw sidewinders beautifully, so maybe that's the disc for you. i've come to like my roadrunner a bit more, even... seems like it doesn't turn as much as a sidewinder but holds on longer before the fade so it get's to the same place using a slightly different flight path.
2 cents
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:13 pm

thanks i was more afraid that the roadrunner would turn a bit more than the sidewinder, not vice versa. Im thinking Im going to have to splurge and buy one of each like I usually do.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Mark Brunner » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:03 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:thanks i was more afraid that the roadrunner would turn a bit more than the sidewinder, not vice versa. Im thinking Im going to have to splurge and buy one of each like I usually do.

Honestly, the roadrunner DOES turn over more than the sidewinder
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:33 am

If you buy a DX TeeBird, you won't be disappointed... I've had mine maybe a month and it's just starting to break in good. As long as you don't hurl it into a gripe of trees, it will last a while. New, it only takes a hint of hyzer to frip to flat and glides... and glides... and glides... with a late fade, that just becomes later as it beats in.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:49 pm

Ive thrown many dx teebrids, and they are great for more a line drive straight line opposed to a hyzerflip straight line. I was at a local store (generaly worst selection you can imagine) and they accually had a Sidewinder only one gram off the weight I wanted so I picked it up, it was really windy today, so I didnt get to really test it, but with a big LR tailwind I was able to throw some HUGE drives.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:38 am

once beatin in a little bit, they work wonderfully for hyzer flip line drives, right now I just got another DX TeeBird to replace my old DX TeeBird, which is now beat in to flip to flat and fly straight for-ev-er. I noticed I only throw birds, Firebird, 3 TeeBirds and an Eagle :P
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment