Innova KC Pro plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova KC Pro plastic

Postby MeanGreen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:14 pm

I just found this site, and I've been reading a lot of the articles. I just got finished reading the disc selection article and the article on different plastics. I've been playing about 4 months, and I throw an average of 270 feet with a DX Valkyrie.

I noticed that Blake discourages the use of high end plastics for beginners, but I was wondering about how the middle of the line plastics such as the KC Pro fare for beginners. I play a wooded course, and I'm looking for a little more durability. Would something like a KC Pro Gazelle be a good idea based on how far I throw?

Thanks.
MeanGreen
Noob

Postby Smyith » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:57 pm

u might as well upgrade to pro or elite x or e plastic if u play wooded courses. i made the jump quickly because of the same problem with durability about 2 months after i started. personally i find for my beginner friends that teebirds and leopards are alot easier to learn to throw.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

plastic

Postby twmccoy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:44 pm

It depends on what blend of KC plastic you speak of. I've seen some KC discs made of the same stuff as champions, and others made of regular pro. If you play in rough areas, definitely spend the extra couple bucks for some decent plastic. DX wears down quickly and you will notice a difference in flight. If you throw 270' with a valk, you might try a sidewinder, roadrunner or maybe even a light 2X beast. In champion plastic of course.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Mark Brunner » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:23 pm

Well twmccoy speaks of the older run Pro line when they were switching to the candy plastic. Not too many of those around anymore. The current pro line from innova would probably be what you want.

I will say though, dont get rid of those dx discs because they are getting beat. Throwing DX discs and learning how to work the disc as it gets beat in so you can throw it many different ways will help you improve quickly
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:21 am

the 11x "KC Pro" teebirds, firebirds, eagles, Shultz 1x/2x beast are candy plastic. I think the 11x KC Pro Gazelle comes in the opaque white plastic generic to KC Pro midrange/putters. If that's the case, it will be fine for the woods and still is more predictable/has more glide than champ. In fact I'm interested in trying out some more fairway drivers, as I lost my leopard :(, so maybe I'll pick up the gazelle...

and another leopard... I miss that disc.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:24 am

Mark Brunner wrote:Well twmccoy speaks of the older run Pro line when they were switching to the candy plastic. Not too many of those around anymore. The current pro line from innova would probably be what you want.

I will say though, dont get rid of those dx discs because they are getting beat. Throwing DX discs and learning how to work the disc as it gets beat in so you can throw it many different ways will help you improve quickly

Pro plastic will be a dog toy after a week or 2 out in the woods.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:04 am

Weebl wrote:[Pro plastic will be a dog toy after a week or 2 out in the woods.

If you play often, he is right. Right now when I play around once a week (maybe twice), it is not a big issues. But, in the summer when I play every day sometimes twice a day (or just play all day long), low end and even mid grade plastic just isn't cost effective.

I beat up a pro starfire very quick last summer playing a couple of times a day, every day. The only reason my x avenger did not turn completely understable was because I would switch to a z when the chance to hit trees was evident.

The problem here is that they fly differently.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:58 am

Yeah, My DX Discs have been holding up well for me, even for the wooded course I play on (De LaVeaga). I sure was lucky to learn at Humboldt's RedWood Curtain course, you can drive a tree 30 feet from the pad at 100% power and it wouldnt even taco because the redwood bark is like a giant fibrous pillow.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:00 pm

meangreen,

you were talking about a gazelle for your next disc. blake's said that these are great for people in your throwing range... a good era of driver that's as versitile as drivers get. because the gazelle is more on the stable side of drivers it should beat in slower and nicer than most DX discs, too. a gazelle is a great disc to learn with and perfect for your range. i'd recommend it WAY over a champ sidewinder or something like that.

i think they made kc pro gazelles of plastic like the kc pro rocs... not gummy but stiff like DX with a bit more durabillity. they may be hard to find now. if you can find some they'll beat in a little slower than DX... not a huge difference, though.
i'd recommend getting 3 of DX or KCpro so you can practice in a field with 3 of the same and rotate them in your bag during rounds.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

KC Pro Gazelle

Postby MeanGreen » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I asked about the KC Pro Gazelle is that a local shop has a few of them availible. I'm not sure how to tell what version of the disc it is. Does it have a marking somewhere to let me know exactly what run it is? If I remember right, the plastic is pretty smooth. It doesn't feel as smooth as a Champion plastic disc, but definitely a lot more smooth than the DX discs I have.
MeanGreen
Noob

Postby Weebl » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:15 am

Due to that texture of the plastics, dx has the most glide, with KC in second and champion having the worst. For Innova discs, there is no way to tell the different between runs unless you're a disc selection guru. If it says "KC Pro Gazelle" or something along those lines, then it will fly the same as a disc with the same name/logo. I would suggest getting a KC Gazelle in the 165-169 gram range as it will be easier for you to throw, if you're getting more than one disc though pick up and heavier one (170-173) for the windy days.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:18 am

now that i think about it, the only "champion" gazelles innova made said "KC pro" on them... not the same exact plastic as champion but very similer. i think it's better than champion and more like "champion edition" plastic... which is great because it flies better and has more grip.
these would actually be great for woodsy courses, however, more on the overstable side until they get super beat in (long time).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

gazelle

Postby twmccoy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:04 pm

All the gazelles I ever found (about 6) were KC pro plastic that was the same as champion plastic. Very good disc, easy to throw and straight. The DX version is nice too but wears out quick.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 pm

The DX version also flies a bit different from the KC Pro version as well. I've noticed that the KC Pro version is a little more flat on top vs the DX version which is a tad more dome like.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby DiscCrusher » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:54 pm

I have a 175 KC Pro Gazzelle. It's only a couple months old. It's very similar to champion plastic. This is a great fairway driver, it's very stable, great in the wind and predictable. But it's definately short compared to pretty much every other driver I throw. Leopard is longer eagle/teebirds are longer and beasts starfires and orcs are way longer. Still I use this disc pretty much every round for shorter holes and medium length headwind shots. I definately think that if you are going to be using it as your main driver you should try some in slightly lighter wieghts like 167-169. I have thrown one of my friends 167 and it is straighter and longer.

Also this disc is money for anhyzer s-curves through the trees. It comes out of a turn very predictably and makes these shots easy.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Return to Equipment